STD Maintenance General alda adjust maxxed out - no smoke

alda adjust maxxed out - no smoke

alda adjust maxxed out - no smoke

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

josh smith
85 300D

09-10-2009, 05:11 PM #1
my new toy is living at 7500ft and not happy. I cleaned banjo and backed alda out (gently) 1/4 turn at a time till max CCW. Very measurable increase off the line.......however, still no smoke. Checking for leaks in alda circuit now.......any techniques for that? No pyro.

Also considering afterglow mod next. Starting is really weak and it is still warm here in the colorado dessert.
This post was last modified: 09-10-2009, 05:13 PM by josh smith.
josh smith
09-10-2009, 05:11 PM #1

my new toy is living at 7500ft and not happy. I cleaned banjo and backed alda out (gently) 1/4 turn at a time till max CCW. Very measurable increase off the line.......however, still no smoke. Checking for leaks in alda circuit now.......any techniques for that? No pyro.

Also considering afterglow mod next. Starting is really weak and it is still warm here in the colorado dessert.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-10-2009, 05:52 PM #2
(09-10-2009, 05:11 PM)josh smith however, still no smoke.
That suggests lack of fuel, not an air leak. Have you changed the filters and made sure you're getting full throttle linkage travel? Check the bushing on the firewall for cracks.

Quote:Starting is really weak and it is still warm here in the colorado dessert.
Altitude can do that. The glow mods help, but not as much as good compression.
This post was last modified: 09-10-2009, 05:53 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-10-2009, 05:52 PM #2

(09-10-2009, 05:11 PM)josh smith however, still no smoke.
That suggests lack of fuel, not an air leak. Have you changed the filters and made sure you're getting full throttle linkage travel? Check the bushing on the firewall for cracks.

Quote:Starting is really weak and it is still warm here in the colorado dessert.

josh smith
85 300D

09-11-2009, 02:49 PM #3
"That suggests lack of fuel, not an air leak. Have you changed the filters"

I see the big canister filter and a small inline filter down by the IP. Both are fresh and seem to flow plenty of volume once the turbo spools. Curious if the inline is stock and what the flow paths are???

"made sure you're getting full throttle linkage travel? Check the bushing on the firewall for cracks."

I found the IP linkage still has 1/2" travel when the pedal is mashed. The rubber cushion at firewall is cracked, do you mean that or the smaller bushing inside/behind the cushion?

Is there a thread for linkage adjustment? I don't have a manual yet. Is there a particular manual you recommend?

Doing the afterglow mod today.

Any experience on rewiring the "fog lamps" to link with high beams vice low?

[/quote]
josh smith
09-11-2009, 02:49 PM #3

"That suggests lack of fuel, not an air leak. Have you changed the filters"

I see the big canister filter and a small inline filter down by the IP. Both are fresh and seem to flow plenty of volume once the turbo spools. Curious if the inline is stock and what the flow paths are???

"made sure you're getting full throttle linkage travel? Check the bushing on the firewall for cracks."

I found the IP linkage still has 1/2" travel when the pedal is mashed. The rubber cushion at firewall is cracked, do you mean that or the smaller bushing inside/behind the cushion?

Is there a thread for linkage adjustment? I don't have a manual yet. Is there a particular manual you recommend?

Doing the afterglow mod today.

Any experience on rewiring the "fog lamps" to link with high beams vice low?

[/quote]

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

09-11-2009, 05:03 PM #4
on the linkage there is a stop on the back side of the injection pump between the engine block make sure when the pedal is to the floor that the linkage travels all the way to the stop to ensure full throttle! make sure your valves are adjusted as well that may help starting! Make sure all the filters are clean both fuel filters the inline and canister and the air filter! also the in tank pick up screens can get plugged with algae. Also make sure top add a lubricant to the fuel if you are running it on low sulfur diesel I use Kleen Diesel from the auto part stores as it has a lubracant in it!!!! good luck!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
09-11-2009, 05:03 PM #4

on the linkage there is a stop on the back side of the injection pump between the engine block make sure when the pedal is to the floor that the linkage travels all the way to the stop to ensure full throttle! make sure your valves are adjusted as well that may help starting! Make sure all the filters are clean both fuel filters the inline and canister and the air filter! also the in tank pick up screens can get plugged with algae. Also make sure top add a lubricant to the fuel if you are running it on low sulfur diesel I use Kleen Diesel from the auto part stores as it has a lubracant in it!!!! good luck!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

winmutt
bitbanger

09-11-2009, 05:41 PM #5
Oh my 1/2"? Your car is going to be a rocket.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
09-11-2009, 05:41 PM #5

Oh my 1/2"? Your car is going to be a rocket.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-11-2009, 08:03 PM #6
Yes, fixing that 1/2" of travel will make a big difference in performance.
ForcedInduction
09-11-2009, 08:03 PM #6

Yes, fixing that 1/2" of travel will make a big difference in performance.

josh smith
85 300D

09-11-2009, 11:57 PM #7
Finished the afterglow mod. Love it.

Took a guess at the best link to lengthen and got rid of the 1/2" missing travel. She moves better, actually pretty quick, but still no smoke.

I did find the ignition switch occasionally tries "kill" the engine when not just right in the run position. Makes for random "very" low power runs. A little wiggle and the power comes back.

Any ideas other that a pyro and alda removal?
josh smith
09-11-2009, 11:57 PM #7

Finished the afterglow mod. Love it.

Took a guess at the best link to lengthen and got rid of the 1/2" missing travel. She moves better, actually pretty quick, but still no smoke.

I did find the ignition switch occasionally tries "kill" the engine when not just right in the run position. Makes for random "very" low power runs. A little wiggle and the power comes back.

Any ideas other that a pyro and alda removal?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average