STD Tuning Engine Air to water intercooling idea

Air to water intercooling idea

Air to water intercooling idea

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Matej
GT2256V

07-30-2015, 12:58 AM #1
Hello gentlemen,
Since it is impossible to conveniently fit a front mount intercooler in the W201 without cutting the chassis and/or bumper, I have been looking into air to water intercooling.
However, I would like to make it as simple as possible and use an already pressurized water port directly on the engine instead of a separate electric pump. If it is a cold water port, not even a heat exchanger would be necessary, thus making the system even more basic.
It seems that the water pump block on the OM60x engines already has a port that could be used. On some engines such as the NA OM606 it is used for the oil pan cooler, on other engines it just needs to be drilled out and tapped.

Here is a picture to better explain my idea.
[Image: a2wcooling.jpg]

Of course a heat exchanger could still be added if necessary. It is a lot easier to fit one in front of the radiator than an air to air intercooler.
Do you gentlemen think this could work?

There are probably also other ports that could be used, such as the one used for the cabin heater. A heat exchanger would definitely be needed if a hot water port is used.

Irony.cc
Matej
07-30-2015, 12:58 AM #1

Hello gentlemen,
Since it is impossible to conveniently fit a front mount intercooler in the W201 without cutting the chassis and/or bumper, I have been looking into air to water intercooling.
However, I would like to make it as simple as possible and use an already pressurized water port directly on the engine instead of a separate electric pump. If it is a cold water port, not even a heat exchanger would be necessary, thus making the system even more basic.
It seems that the water pump block on the OM60x engines already has a port that could be used. On some engines such as the NA OM606 it is used for the oil pan cooler, on other engines it just needs to be drilled out and tapped.

Here is a picture to better explain my idea.
[Image: a2wcooling.jpg]

Of course a heat exchanger could still be added if necessary. It is a lot easier to fit one in front of the radiator than an air to air intercooler.
Do you gentlemen think this could work?

There are probably also other ports that could be used, such as the one used for the cabin heater. A heat exchanger would definitely be needed if a hot water port is used.

Irony.cc

m1tch
GT2559V

07-30-2015, 01:52 AM #2
I think the issue you will have is that any water in the engine circulation system would be hot, therefore meaning that the intercooler would be an interwarmer - you do need a separate radiator, the chargecooler radiators are usually very thin with lots of fins which will give maximum cooling for a smallish amount of water.

Another option you could look at is an intercooler sprayer - spraying water onto the air/air intercooler gives an advantage when you do need to make sure the air is cool or if you are towing a heavy load up a hill for example. They are simple to setup as you can just use a windscreen washer pump and a nozzle to spray water onto the intercooler - just an idea.
m1tch
07-30-2015, 01:52 AM #2

I think the issue you will have is that any water in the engine circulation system would be hot, therefore meaning that the intercooler would be an interwarmer - you do need a separate radiator, the chargecooler radiators are usually very thin with lots of fins which will give maximum cooling for a smallish amount of water.

Another option you could look at is an intercooler sprayer - spraying water onto the air/air intercooler gives an advantage when you do need to make sure the air is cool or if you are towing a heavy load up a hill for example. They are simple to setup as you can just use a windscreen washer pump and a nozzle to spray water onto the intercooler - just an idea.

07-30-2015, 02:14 PM #3
This depends mainly on how hot the chrage air is... The bigger the temperature drop between coolant (air or water) and charge air, the effective the cooling will be. Let's say your "cold" coolant has 75°C and your charge air has 85°C - that's not going to be very efficient. If your charge air has 450°C - that's another story alltogether!

Usually chargecoolers (air-water-intercoolers) have a low-temperature radiator that's as big as possible to work well and prevent heat-soak. The freedom in placement you gain with a AW-IC is bought with the requirement of a large radiator to make it efficient (resp. creating a temperatur differential as big as possible).

And always use a "counter-flow" layout! resp. feed the cold water from the cooler's outlet! Why? Physics. You can't cool the air to a lower temperature than the coolant. If the coolant exits at the air-outlet, the air can never be colder than the hot coolant. Hence you have the coolant entry on the air outlet.

It's all simple physics - but still tricky.

Or in short: you need to take measurements!! Everything else ist just blablabla. How hot is the charge-air at the turbo-outlet? How warm is the coolant from that port? How big is your temperature differential? This gives you all the awnsers you need. Smile

[Image: yeahsciencebitch.PNG]
This post was last modified: 07-30-2015, 02:15 PM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
07-30-2015, 02:14 PM #3

This depends mainly on how hot the chrage air is... The bigger the temperature drop between coolant (air or water) and charge air, the effective the cooling will be. Let's say your "cold" coolant has 75°C and your charge air has 85°C - that's not going to be very efficient. If your charge air has 450°C - that's another story alltogether!

Usually chargecoolers (air-water-intercoolers) have a low-temperature radiator that's as big as possible to work well and prevent heat-soak. The freedom in placement you gain with a AW-IC is bought with the requirement of a large radiator to make it efficient (resp. creating a temperatur differential as big as possible).

And always use a "counter-flow" layout! resp. feed the cold water from the cooler's outlet! Why? Physics. You can't cool the air to a lower temperature than the coolant. If the coolant exits at the air-outlet, the air can never be colder than the hot coolant. Hence you have the coolant entry on the air outlet.

It's all simple physics - but still tricky.

Or in short: you need to take measurements!! Everything else ist just blablabla. How hot is the charge-air at the turbo-outlet? How warm is the coolant from that port? How big is your temperature differential? This gives you all the awnsers you need. Smile

[Image: yeahsciencebitch.PNG]

07-30-2015, 02:18 PM #4
Hmm - you could perhaps put a heater core or two between the chargecooler and the water port to bring down coolant temperature. I don't know how eficient that would be, though. And how much space it would eat... Maybe there's a space between wheel & bumper? Just a spontaneous brain fart... Big Grin

DiseaselWeasel
07-30-2015, 02:18 PM #4

Hmm - you could perhaps put a heater core or two between the chargecooler and the water port to bring down coolant temperature. I don't know how eficient that would be, though. And how much space it would eat... Maybe there's a space between wheel & bumper? Just a spontaneous brain fart... Big Grin

Matej
GT2256V

07-30-2015, 04:52 PM #5
(07-30-2015, 02:18 PM)DiseaselWeasel Hmm - you could perhaps put a heater core or two between the chargecooler and the water port to bring down coolant temperature. I don't know how eficient that would be, though. And how much space it would eat... Maybe there's a space between wheel & bumper? Just a spontaneous brain fart... Big Grin
Yes, it seems it could still be beneficial to use a heat exchanger no matter what. The car will not have AC, so there will be enough room for it in front of the radiator. Maybe the AC condenser could even be used as a heat exchanger for the intercooler, depending on how well it flows.
Or perhaps the oil cooler ports on the radiator could be used, and then I would use a separate cooler for the oil.
This post was last modified: 07-30-2015, 04:53 PM by Matej.

Irony.cc
Matej
07-30-2015, 04:52 PM #5

(07-30-2015, 02:18 PM)DiseaselWeasel Hmm - you could perhaps put a heater core or two between the chargecooler and the water port to bring down coolant temperature. I don't know how eficient that would be, though. And how much space it would eat... Maybe there's a space between wheel & bumper? Just a spontaneous brain fart... Big Grin
Yes, it seems it could still be beneficial to use a heat exchanger no matter what. The car will not have AC, so there will be enough room for it in front of the radiator. Maybe the AC condenser could even be used as a heat exchanger for the intercooler, depending on how well it flows.
Or perhaps the oil cooler ports on the radiator could be used, and then I would use a separate cooler for the oil.

Irony.cc

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

07-30-2015, 08:02 PM #6
Charge temps can get pretty hot, a fellow that I talked to that pulls trucks said his IAT was 700F before the AW cooler, and 70F after (running around 100psi of boost). But they are running an ice chest and a very expensive cooler Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
07-30-2015, 08:02 PM #6

Charge temps can get pretty hot, a fellow that I talked to that pulls trucks said his IAT was 700F before the AW cooler, and 70F after (running around 100psi of boost). But they are running an ice chest and a very expensive cooler Big Grin

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

08-02-2015, 03:09 PM #7
Then you might as well install a stand-alone low-temperature water circuit for the charge cooler...

DiseaselWeasel
08-02-2015, 03:09 PM #7

Then you might as well install a stand-alone low-temperature water circuit for the charge cooler...

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-02-2015, 06:11 PM #8
On my water to air I used a bosch electric water pump from a mustang cobra, and I made a reservoir out of a piece of PVC pipe and two end caps. So it's a seperate system, and even after long drives the antifreeze isn't even lose to as hot as the engine coolant.

MFSuper90
08-02-2015, 06:11 PM #8

On my water to air I used a bosch electric water pump from a mustang cobra, and I made a reservoir out of a piece of PVC pipe and two end caps. So it's a seperate system, and even after long drives the antifreeze isn't even lose to as hot as the engine coolant.

hooblah
Holset

08-02-2015, 06:30 PM #9
What sort of heat exchangers and radiators are people using?
hooblah
08-02-2015, 06:30 PM #9

What sort of heat exchangers and radiators are people using?

08-03-2015, 02:09 PM #10
I was thinking about one or two ML radiators (some CDIs have A/W-ICs), they can be had comparatively cheap. If you look, there's quite a couple of cars that run a factory A/W-IC. Or heck - have one made to specification. It's not insanely pricey to have a radiator made.

I myself went to a air-air-IC in the end, since I found a convenient space for a big-ish IC whilst retaining the A/C condenser. It's just simpler to use air as cooling medium. And without a space-issue - why over-complicate things? That said: I like the idea of the A/W-IC.

DiseaselWeasel
08-03-2015, 02:09 PM #10

I was thinking about one or two ML radiators (some CDIs have A/W-ICs), they can be had comparatively cheap. If you look, there's quite a couple of cars that run a factory A/W-IC. Or heck - have one made to specification. It's not insanely pricey to have a radiator made.

I myself went to a air-air-IC in the end, since I found a convenient space for a big-ish IC whilst retaining the A/C condenser. It's just simpler to use air as cooling medium. And without a space-issue - why over-complicate things? That said: I like the idea of the A/W-IC.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-03-2015, 05:29 PM #11
I just used a transmission cooler from the local auto parts store. I found a core size that would fit in the space infront of my radiator and just bought it. It wasn't very expensive seems to work well

MFSuper90
08-03-2015, 05:29 PM #11

I just used a transmission cooler from the local auto parts store. I found a core size that would fit in the space infront of my radiator and just bought it. It wasn't very expensive seems to work well

08-04-2015, 11:56 AM #12
"Seems to work well" - did you ever take measurements? Smile

DiseaselWeasel
08-04-2015, 11:56 AM #12

"Seems to work well" - did you ever take measurements? Smile

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-05-2015, 12:08 AM #13
(08-04-2015, 11:56 AM)DiseaselWeasel "Seems to work well" -  did you ever take measurements? Smile

No, everything's always a "hurry to get it done" kind of thing in our shop, since we are a farm and not a hobby shop or something of that matter. Because we always have machinery that takes precedence over my car haha

I would have liked to check it after I installed it, but I changed to an hx30 and moved my egt probe from post to pre charger all at the same time. To many changed variables at once to make an accurate statement. And I've never had the ambition to spend the money and time to install two IAT sensors before and after.

I should shoot the intake after a hard run with our heat gun, but never have done that either lol

MFSuper90
08-05-2015, 12:08 AM #13

(08-04-2015, 11:56 AM)DiseaselWeasel "Seems to work well" -  did you ever take measurements? Smile

No, everything's always a "hurry to get it done" kind of thing in our shop, since we are a farm and not a hobby shop or something of that matter. Because we always have machinery that takes precedence over my car haha

I would have liked to check it after I installed it, but I changed to an hx30 and moved my egt probe from post to pre charger all at the same time. To many changed variables at once to make an accurate statement. And I've never had the ambition to spend the money and time to install two IAT sensors before and after.

I should shoot the intake after a hard run with our heat gun, but never have done that either lol

mantahead
Holset

08-05-2015, 02:51 PM #14
would this type of thing be any good, not much space needed for it, cold water tank and pump feeding it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barrel-interco...35eed18d65
mantahead
08-05-2015, 02:51 PM #14

would this type of thing be any good, not much space needed for it, cold water tank and pump feeding it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barrel-interco...35eed18d65

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-05-2015, 07:54 PM #15
It's hard to tell how effective it would be, more surface area means better cooling and that surface area is rather small. But it would probably be better than nothing!
A chest full of ice water is even more efficient, but not good for street use. Same goes for dry ice

MFSuper90
08-05-2015, 07:54 PM #15

It's hard to tell how effective it would be, more surface area means better cooling and that surface area is rather small. But it would probably be better than nothing!
A chest full of ice water is even more efficient, but not good for street use. Same goes for dry ice

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

08-07-2015, 08:06 AM #16
The problem stems from air being very poor at conducting heat energy, in fact air is an insulator!

Therefore to achieve useful charge air temperature drop across a heat exchanger core, the largest temperature difference (Delta T) between liquids must be used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmi...difference

It is for this reason why an oil cooler is a very bad choice: it is designed to knock 50 degree Celsius off 200 degree oil, NOT reduce 30 degree charge cooler water by 30 degrees!

Therefore because of such a small Delta T function, the cooler must be as big and conductive as possible, ergo copper / alumInIum... Wink

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
08-07-2015, 08:06 AM #16

The problem stems from air being very poor at conducting heat energy, in fact air is an insulator!

Therefore to achieve useful charge air temperature drop across a heat exchanger core, the largest temperature difference (Delta T) between liquids must be used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmi...difference

It is for this reason why an oil cooler is a very bad choice: it is designed to knock 50 degree Celsius off 200 degree oil, NOT reduce 30 degree charge cooler water by 30 degrees!

Therefore because of such a small Delta T function, the cooler must be as big and conductive as possible, ergo copper / alumInIum... Wink

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Turbo
Holset

08-08-2015, 04:53 PM #17
look at it by using the NTU method and many things will clear out
another method is the LMTD but by that you will not see some things so clearly I would guess
This post was last modified: 08-08-2015, 05:09 PM by Turbo.
Turbo
08-08-2015, 04:53 PM #17

look at it by using the NTU method and many things will clear out
another method is the LMTD but by that you will not see some things so clearly I would guess

barrote
Superturbo

08-08-2015, 05:10 PM #18
said by other words, engine coolant will never reduce charge air temp low enough to provide any gains,
i would bet the dedicated system , well thats what i´m going to try in the future, air conditioner radiator, fluid pump, air to coolant intercooler, and as coolant; ethilene, something that was used long time ago in aviation engines, dangerous but a lot more conductive than regular coolant.
regards

FD,