STD Other FS / WTB / Buying guides 1988 190D 2.5 N/A 4speed auto

1988 190D 2.5 N/A 4speed auto

1988 190D 2.5 N/A 4speed auto

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

meareweird
TA 0301

09-09-2009, 11:17 PM #1
WILL ADD PICTURES SOON!!
Mercedes 1988 190D 2.5 N/A diesel 4 speed automatic. it has roughly 230-250 thousand miles (i say roughly because the odometer stopped working about 1000 miles after i got it and despite two valiant attempts to fix it doesn't want to work however it can be made to work temporarily in order to pass inspection). These engines are basically bulletproof if well maintained and i cannot speak for the previous owner(s) but i have done so and i believe there is another 200 thousand miles in her although this is probably a very conservative estimate. The timing chain is very tight almost no stretch in it at all, well within factory limits. the headgasket shows no signs of weakness or leaking(no oil or antifreeze mixing or burning) and the vacuum pump I replaced about a year ago. Those three things are the weakest points on these engines. The transmission will probably need work [replaced with a rebuilt or 5 speed manual(very easy on these cars) as it has a leak and runs low occasionally] If you stay on top of the fluid level it may last several years. All electronics work with the exception of cruise control, Air conditioning (the heat works very well for you winter people) and the rear right window. The drivers door has different trim on it because one day i was backing up my driveway with it open and it stuck on the hill and pulled a dent in the door so i replaced the door with a junkyard door. The seal is not perfect I did the best job adjusting the door as i could and i think only a professional would get a better fit. The interior is not a show queen quality but it is very comfortable. the drivers seat back is missing and the rear doors could use some attention. The general body has various small dents on itsome rust on the hood( will be taken care of i promise) and one of the jacking points(originally fixed) may need to be redone in several years. mechanically speaking the car runs like a mercedes should except for a slight pull to the right(easily fixed by the diy mechanic or at an alignment shop) this will also probably be taken care of by myself before sale. The only other things i can think of to say is that i put new stainless steel brake lines on all four corners and a new master cylinder. To pass inspection it would need new front tires, alignment fixed, and the odometer temporarily or permanently "fixed". all doable by a competent diy mechanic in a few hours. I would not hesitate to drive this car to the moon! The only reason I am selling it is because I need the money to pay for the new one. in short these cars are probably the pinnacle of Mercedes bulletproof engineering days. This chassis(w201 for you car nerds) was actually originally designed for rally racing but that was killed by the introduction of Audi's 4wd system it was so close to production however that they decided to instead go road racing with it and enjoyed many success in the German DTM series. There is still a strong base of drivers who use these cars as daily drivers(as mine was) and/or weekend fun cars so parts are not as expensive as one might think when they hear Mercedes.This would make a perfect SVO/WVO car and/or a perfect first car/daily driver/winter beater. I would like $2000 or b/o for this gem af a car. If interested email at meareweird@yahoo.com or call at 717-314-4889. I live in the baltimore area so call ahead if you want to come see it.
meareweird
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM #1

WILL ADD PICTURES SOON!!
Mercedes 1988 190D 2.5 N/A diesel 4 speed automatic. it has roughly 230-250 thousand miles (i say roughly because the odometer stopped working about 1000 miles after i got it and despite two valiant attempts to fix it doesn't want to work however it can be made to work temporarily in order to pass inspection). These engines are basically bulletproof if well maintained and i cannot speak for the previous owner(s) but i have done so and i believe there is another 200 thousand miles in her although this is probably a very conservative estimate. The timing chain is very tight almost no stretch in it at all, well within factory limits. the headgasket shows no signs of weakness or leaking(no oil or antifreeze mixing or burning) and the vacuum pump I replaced about a year ago. Those three things are the weakest points on these engines. The transmission will probably need work [replaced with a rebuilt or 5 speed manual(very easy on these cars) as it has a leak and runs low occasionally] If you stay on top of the fluid level it may last several years. All electronics work with the exception of cruise control, Air conditioning (the heat works very well for you winter people) and the rear right window. The drivers door has different trim on it because one day i was backing up my driveway with it open and it stuck on the hill and pulled a dent in the door so i replaced the door with a junkyard door. The seal is not perfect I did the best job adjusting the door as i could and i think only a professional would get a better fit. The interior is not a show queen quality but it is very comfortable. the drivers seat back is missing and the rear doors could use some attention. The general body has various small dents on itsome rust on the hood( will be taken care of i promise) and one of the jacking points(originally fixed) may need to be redone in several years. mechanically speaking the car runs like a mercedes should except for a slight pull to the right(easily fixed by the diy mechanic or at an alignment shop) this will also probably be taken care of by myself before sale. The only other things i can think of to say is that i put new stainless steel brake lines on all four corners and a new master cylinder. To pass inspection it would need new front tires, alignment fixed, and the odometer temporarily or permanently "fixed". all doable by a competent diy mechanic in a few hours. I would not hesitate to drive this car to the moon! The only reason I am selling it is because I need the money to pay for the new one. in short these cars are probably the pinnacle of Mercedes bulletproof engineering days. This chassis(w201 for you car nerds) was actually originally designed for rally racing but that was killed by the introduction of Audi's 4wd system it was so close to production however that they decided to instead go road racing with it and enjoyed many success in the German DTM series. There is still a strong base of drivers who use these cars as daily drivers(as mine was) and/or weekend fun cars so parts are not as expensive as one might think when they hear Mercedes.This would make a perfect SVO/WVO car and/or a perfect first car/daily driver/winter beater. I would like $2000 or b/o for this gem af a car. If interested email at meareweird@yahoo.com or call at 717-314-4889. I live in the baltimore area so call ahead if you want to come see it.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average