STD Tuning Engine Hello twin 300Ds here

Hello twin 300Ds here

Hello twin 300Ds here

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

reddogracing
Naturally-aspirated

07-08-2015, 02:19 PM #1
Hello everyone. I am from Ft Campbell KY and i just purchased two 1993 300D autos. 180k miles on both One black one grey. I have been driving the grey one a lot, my weekly commute to work is 3 hours one way.

I hope to do an egr delete, and a pressure waste gate, maybe go into the pump. I would like just a tad more off the line. Sometimes it runs great others it is a bit of a dog.

DO these turbo benefit from the oven cleaner soak that the TDI folks rage about?

Any suggestions I am open, not looking for a race car, just reliable, good mpg, decent performance. I am 48 and spent half my life in the Army.
reddogracing
07-08-2015, 02:19 PM #1

Hello everyone. I am from Ft Campbell KY and i just purchased two 1993 300D autos. 180k miles on both One black one grey. I have been driving the grey one a lot, my weekly commute to work is 3 hours one way.

I hope to do an egr delete, and a pressure waste gate, maybe go into the pump. I would like just a tad more off the line. Sometimes it runs great others it is a bit of a dog.

DO these turbo benefit from the oven cleaner soak that the TDI folks rage about?

Any suggestions I am open, not looking for a race car, just reliable, good mpg, decent performance. I am 48 and spent half my life in the Army.

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

07-08-2015, 04:15 PM #2
I'm a little scared to ask, but what is an oven cleaner soak?

79 300CD
82 300SD
Dirty Little Freaks Racing
Torkey
07-08-2015, 04:15 PM #2

I'm a little scared to ask, but what is an oven cleaner soak?

79 300CD
82 300SD
Dirty Little Freaks Racing

raysorenson
Superturbo

07-08-2015, 04:18 PM #3
My wife has a '93 300d. Great car. Not much you can do to get it off the line faster outside of real modding.
raysorenson
07-08-2015, 04:18 PM #3

My wife has a '93 300d. Great car. Not much you can do to get it off the line faster outside of real modding.

reddogracing
Naturally-aspirated

07-08-2015, 05:22 PM #4
Well on the TDI the common procedure is to pull the egr block off plate and fill the turbo with oven cleaner. Actuate the rod as much as possible, till things free up. rinse with water. and then reassemble and run it to blow everything out. This is abbreviated, please search for a more in depth procedure if you plan on doing this. I have never attempted this just read a lot of posts about it. I never under how the egr plate would let cleaner into the exhuast side of the turbo. I thought it took gases from after the turbo and sent them to the intake. but a lot of them do it and swear by it.

Reading the posts I thought maybe going into the IP and giving it a little more fuel per the description there, would help some. IS this not true?
reddogracing
07-08-2015, 05:22 PM #4

Well on the TDI the common procedure is to pull the egr block off plate and fill the turbo with oven cleaner. Actuate the rod as much as possible, till things free up. rinse with water. and then reassemble and run it to blow everything out. This is abbreviated, please search for a more in depth procedure if you plan on doing this. I have never attempted this just read a lot of posts about it. I never under how the egr plate would let cleaner into the exhuast side of the turbo. I thought it took gases from after the turbo and sent them to the intake. but a lot of them do it and swear by it.

Reading the posts I thought maybe going into the IP and giving it a little more fuel per the description there, would help some. IS this not true?

TurboTim
Holset

07-08-2015, 07:21 PM #5
No they wont. The problems VW's have is crazy. I have seen intake ports almost fully closed with carbon!

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
07-08-2015, 07:21 PM #5

No they wont. The problems VW's have is crazy. I have seen intake ports almost fully closed with carbon!

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com

Petar
7.5mm M pump

07-09-2015, 01:44 PM #6
Sometimes it runs great sometimes it doesn't - that sounds like EDS wastegate problem. So yeah you are right do the pressure wastegate mod,block the EGR and try shimming the ALDA till it smokes just a bit when you peg it off boost. That should give you consistent perfomance.

I don't think there is anything to free up in our turbos, vw's have vnts with vanes that sometimes stick, we have wastegated turbos.
Petar
07-09-2015, 01:44 PM #6

Sometimes it runs great sometimes it doesn't - that sounds like EDS wastegate problem. So yeah you are right do the pressure wastegate mod,block the EGR and try shimming the ALDA till it smokes just a bit when you peg it off boost. That should give you consistent perfomance.

I don't think there is anything to free up in our turbos, vw's have vnts with vanes that sometimes stick, we have wastegated turbos.

reddogracing
Naturally-aspirated

07-10-2015, 03:18 PM #7
anyone know a good source and part number for a pressure acuator, and what is good pressure to use, i read elsewhere 14 is common?
reddogracing
07-10-2015, 03:18 PM #7

anyone know a good source and part number for a pressure acuator, and what is good pressure to use, i read elsewhere 14 is common?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average