STD Maintenance General Engine shaking

Engine shaking

Engine shaking

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mcb
Full Boost

09-08-2009, 03:29 PM #1
My 1982 300SD seems to have a miss below 2000 RPM's. The engine sounds like its down a cylinder but it's not. I have cracked the injector lines at an idle and at 1400 rpm. All 5 cylinders sound the same when the lines are cracked. As soon as the engine approaches 2000 rpm it runs as smooth as silk until redline.
I have read threads on here regarding delivery valves being turned slightly. But that test of turning the delivery valve will only work if the cylinder isn't firing or sounds dramatically different than the others. I'm not so lucky in this case.

Any suggestions?
mcb
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM #1

My 1982 300SD seems to have a miss below 2000 RPM's. The engine sounds like its down a cylinder but it's not. I have cracked the injector lines at an idle and at 1400 rpm. All 5 cylinders sound the same when the lines are cracked. As soon as the engine approaches 2000 rpm it runs as smooth as silk until redline.
I have read threads on here regarding delivery valves being turned slightly. But that test of turning the delivery valve will only work if the cylinder isn't firing or sounds dramatically different than the others. I'm not so lucky in this case.

Any suggestions?

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-08-2009, 03:38 PM #2
Could be the timing device on the IP chain drive. It can fail like anything else. To check it you'll have to take off the vacuum pump and inspect for broken springs or damage.

Its not pretty to change either.
This post was last modified: 09-08-2009, 03:39 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-08-2009, 03:38 PM #2

Could be the timing device on the IP chain drive. It can fail like anything else. To check it you'll have to take off the vacuum pump and inspect for broken springs or damage.

Its not pretty to change either.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average