STD Tuning Engine Pro's & Con's for IC with 7.5mm elements

Pro's & Con's for IC with 7.5mm elements

Pro's & Con's for IC with 7.5mm elements

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

scrubs
GTA2056V

06-22-2015, 05:27 PM #1
Hi everyone, looking for the above with a w115 manifold.
Still learning 9n this om617a upgrades n nor looking to go big HP keeping in the -250hp area.
Thanks
scrubs
06-22-2015, 05:27 PM #1

Hi everyone, looking for the above with a w115 manifold.
Still learning 9n this om617a upgrades n nor looking to go big HP keeping in the -250hp area.
Thanks

carlitosgy6
Ranger Turbodiesel

06-22-2015, 06:52 PM #2
(06-22-2015, 05:27 PM)scrubs Hi everyone,  looking for the above with a w115 manifold.
Thanks
inter-cooling will help your engine to have less exhaust temps plus some extra horsepower from the extra air density, more usable air available ,cons a little more turbo lag but with the right inter-cooler is almost unnoticeable,tighter engine bay ,extra piping,when i installed my small inter-cooler i noticed more power available plus the engine works cooler on an already colder engine
carlitosgy6
06-22-2015, 06:52 PM #2

(06-22-2015, 05:27 PM)scrubs Hi everyone,  looking for the above with a w115 manifold.
Thanks
inter-cooling will help your engine to have less exhaust temps plus some extra horsepower from the extra air density, more usable air available ,cons a little more turbo lag but with the right inter-cooler is almost unnoticeable,tighter engine bay ,extra piping,when i installed my small inter-cooler i noticed more power available plus the engine works cooler on an already colder engine

scrubs
GTA2056V

06-23-2015, 11:06 AM #3
Thank you for your reply,

I am in the turbo swap process and have a w115 manifold setting behind me waiting to be put on when the pump arrives.

Read a thread with a picture where a fellow member passed on the IC because he wasn't producing lots of HP, kind of simular to my build I took it as under 250hp.
He just looped the boot from the turbo to the w115 manifold and seemed happy with the results.
For my build I'very gotten the M pump with "The Masters"7.5mm touch to get into this HP range.

Any more information on this upgrade would really help as some threads go off to other areas .

84 om617 in a Land Rover Defender 110 ex mod.
411's,33" tyres, 5 speed O/D weighing in at 5200 lbs .

Not looking for maximum HP just more than what the MW could offer, going as always , into 20 mph headwinds wherever I go.

Read
scrubs
06-23-2015, 11:06 AM #3

Thank you for your reply,

I am in the turbo swap process and have a w115 manifold setting behind me waiting to be put on when the pump arrives.

Read a thread with a picture where a fellow member passed on the IC because he wasn't producing lots of HP, kind of simular to my build I took it as under 250hp.
He just looped the boot from the turbo to the w115 manifold and seemed happy with the results.
For my build I'very gotten the M pump with "The Masters"7.5mm touch to get into this HP range.

Any more information on this upgrade would really help as some threads go off to other areas .

84 om617 in a Land Rover Defender 110 ex mod.
411's,33" tyres, 5 speed O/D weighing in at 5200 lbs .

Not looking for maximum HP just more than what the MW could offer, going as always , into 20 mph headwinds wherever I go.

Read

scrubs
GTA2056V

06-23-2015, 11:09 AM #4
Oh 3" downpipe also n all the way back if it helps
scrubs
06-23-2015, 11:09 AM #4

Oh 3" downpipe also n all the way back if it helps

carlitosgy6
Ranger Turbodiesel

06-23-2015, 04:10 PM #5
(06-23-2015, 11:09 AM)scrubs Oh 3" downpipe also n all the way back if it helps

I did it to be safe because my engine is a 617-912 right now and i want to be as careful i can be with it, 3 inches will help boosting faster 
carlitosgy6
06-23-2015, 04:10 PM #5

(06-23-2015, 11:09 AM)scrubs Oh 3" downpipe also n all the way back if it helps

I did it to be safe because my engine is a 617-912 right now and i want to be as careful i can be with it, 3 inches will help boosting faster 

scrubs
GTA2056V

06-23-2015, 05:33 PM #6
So can I get away without a IC?
There are options for one depending on , like everything, how much work is involved vs the gains of with or without one
scrubs
06-23-2015, 05:33 PM #6

So can I get away without a IC?
There are options for one depending on , like everything, how much work is involved vs the gains of with or without one

06-24-2015, 01:35 AM #7
Intercooling has almost only benefits. You get denser air at the same amount of boost and less thermal load for the engine (reduced exhaust gas temperature). A internal combustion engine follows a thermodynamic cycle. Meaning; lower input temperature results in lower output temperature. Resp. the lower intake tmperatures you can get, the "cooler" the engine will run.

The question however is; how much boost will you be runing? How high will your intake gas tempertures be? How high is your exhaust gas temperature with IGT at XX°? The more boost you run (i.e. the denser you compress the charge air), the higher temperatures will get. The stock engine can run without intercooling, as did many 1st and 2nd generation turbocharged production engines. And they still last (mostly Big Grin ) for a long time.

The question realy is: do you need one? You need to awnser this yourself -> monitor what your engine is doing. And then decide. Critical exhaust gas temperatures have been talked about a lot, finding reference values should be simple Wink

But all in all: intercooling offers almost only advantages. Denser, cooler air means gains in efficiency and torque, and reduced thermal stress to the engine, resulting in increased durability. The disadvantage is that with sub-optimal routing throttle response might suffer. And here's an issue: you need to make compromises when fitting an intercooler to a car that was never designed to have one. Charge-cooling (air/water intercooling) has advantages here. But still requires a decently sized low-temperature radiator that gets good airflow. The advantage would be possibly (not neccesarily) better intake routing. But either way, there's a big space at the front of the car required that gets good airflow.

All in all, there's no simple yes/no awnser to that question. What I do is; I tend to read a book about this subject. But I can't name any in english, I'm afraid. Hmm. Maybe this would be a usefull thread, a book reference thread or something like that.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
06-24-2015, 01:35 AM #7

Intercooling has almost only benefits. You get denser air at the same amount of boost and less thermal load for the engine (reduced exhaust gas temperature). A internal combustion engine follows a thermodynamic cycle. Meaning; lower input temperature results in lower output temperature. Resp. the lower intake tmperatures you can get, the "cooler" the engine will run.

The question however is; how much boost will you be runing? How high will your intake gas tempertures be? How high is your exhaust gas temperature with IGT at XX°? The more boost you run (i.e. the denser you compress the charge air), the higher temperatures will get. The stock engine can run without intercooling, as did many 1st and 2nd generation turbocharged production engines. And they still last (mostly Big Grin ) for a long time.

The question realy is: do you need one? You need to awnser this yourself -> monitor what your engine is doing. And then decide. Critical exhaust gas temperatures have been talked about a lot, finding reference values should be simple Wink

But all in all: intercooling offers almost only advantages. Denser, cooler air means gains in efficiency and torque, and reduced thermal stress to the engine, resulting in increased durability. The disadvantage is that with sub-optimal routing throttle response might suffer. And here's an issue: you need to make compromises when fitting an intercooler to a car that was never designed to have one. Charge-cooling (air/water intercooling) has advantages here. But still requires a decently sized low-temperature radiator that gets good airflow. The advantage would be possibly (not neccesarily) better intake routing. But either way, there's a big space at the front of the car required that gets good airflow.

All in all, there's no simple yes/no awnser to that question. What I do is; I tend to read a book about this subject. But I can't name any in english, I'm afraid. Hmm. Maybe this would be a usefull thread, a book reference thread or something like that.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

barrote
Superturbo

06-24-2015, 05:26 AM #8
yep, almost all turbo engines have some aftercooling , except those wich can´t by rules.
these days there are even gas cooling systems for that. so u can see how importante it is.
recently seen vídeo about F1 engines, and they claim to get rid of the turbo lag? i wonder how they did it, maybe they just moved into diff ways of driving!!!

FD,