STD Tuning Engine electronic speedometer for w124

electronic speedometer for w124

electronic speedometer for w124

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hansdampf
Naturally-aspirated

06-15-2015, 12:14 PM #1
Hi folks,

is there an option for the electronic speedo from e 500 or e420 that could be used in the w124?
E 500 and e 420 speedos are rare and expensive …

We already put an om 606 turbo and a 716654 gearbox into my w124 estate. And we proceed not too bad …
But :

Where can I get an electronic signal for the speedo (ABS or ASD or elsewhere)? 

Somewhere they sell an electronic blackbox that can change the original signal into the correct one for the speedo? This blackbox is adjustable. I also don´t know where I could get this box. What´s its name?

Huh

Can anyone help my in my infinite lack of knowledge???

Cheers
hansdampf
hansdampf
06-15-2015, 12:14 PM #1

Hi folks,

is there an option for the electronic speedo from e 500 or e420 that could be used in the w124?
E 500 and e 420 speedos are rare and expensive …

We already put an om 606 turbo and a 716654 gearbox into my w124 estate. And we proceed not too bad …
But :

Where can I get an electronic signal for the speedo (ABS or ASD or elsewhere)? 

Somewhere they sell an electronic blackbox that can change the original signal into the correct one for the speedo? This blackbox is adjustable. I also don´t know where I could get this box. What´s its name?

Huh

Can anyone help my in my infinite lack of knowledge???

Cheers
hansdampf

06-15-2015, 12:35 PM #2
Moinsen!

With a bit of work, W126 speedo can be made to work... Smile

[Image: w126-ki-2.jpg]
^W124 top, W126 bottom

Basically you need to trim the speedo face down a bit to fit into W124 housing, cut off W126 speedo housing illumination thing...

[Image: ki-2.jpg]

...and cut away some of the rev counter's base plate & move the rev counter plug to somewhere else (red & green wire). This is neccesary, since there's some sort of relais or spool in the speedo housing:

[Image: ki-3.jpg]
^this is the biggest interference...

Holes for screws almost line up, need to enlarge them a bit. Outside temperature gauge also fits very good!

[Image: ki-4.jpg]

And from the front - looks like just a normal W124 instrument pod Smile

There's some more fettling to be done, the earth strip runing along the speedo needs relocating to make contact and of course the shift marks are all over the place... And I need to drill a hole or two for the rev counter plug. I trimmed the speedoface with a normal tin snip & a file, works very well.

W126 speedos can be had for not much money. But note thzey came without ASR/ASD lamp! So if you have ASD, you might need to look a little longer. But in compared to W124 V8 speedos - there a truck loads of these available (I got mine for free at work Big Grin ).

Bit of gebastel, but doable Smile

[Image: ki-5.jpg]

All W126 speedos are electric, btw.

Grüße nach MÜC! :-) 
This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
06-15-2015, 12:35 PM #2

Moinsen!

With a bit of work, W126 speedo can be made to work... Smile

[Image: w126-ki-2.jpg]
^W124 top, W126 bottom

Basically you need to trim the speedo face down a bit to fit into W124 housing, cut off W126 speedo housing illumination thing...

[Image: ki-2.jpg]

...and cut away some of the rev counter's base plate & move the rev counter plug to somewhere else (red & green wire). This is neccesary, since there's some sort of relais or spool in the speedo housing:

[Image: ki-3.jpg]
^this is the biggest interference...

Holes for screws almost line up, need to enlarge them a bit. Outside temperature gauge also fits very good!

[Image: ki-4.jpg]

And from the front - looks like just a normal W124 instrument pod Smile

There's some more fettling to be done, the earth strip runing along the speedo needs relocating to make contact and of course the shift marks are all over the place... And I need to drill a hole or two for the rev counter plug. I trimmed the speedoface with a normal tin snip & a file, works very well.

W126 speedos can be had for not much money. But note thzey came without ASR/ASD lamp! So if you have ASD, you might need to look a little longer. But in compared to W124 V8 speedos - there a truck loads of these available (I got mine for free at work Big Grin ).

Bit of gebastel, but doable Smile

[Image: ki-5.jpg]

All W126 speedos are electric, btw.

Grüße nach MÜC! :-) 

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

whipplem104
Holset

06-15-2015, 12:56 PM #3
You can buy used v8 speedometers for 125.00 in the U.S. I just bought one from a salvage yard a few weeks ago. The boxes that take a electic speedo signal and turn it in to a cable drive are expensive and unreliable. THey are around 400.00 for the better ones. They are also all made for Domestic products like GM.
whipplem104
06-15-2015, 12:56 PM #3

You can buy used v8 speedometers for 125.00 in the U.S. I just bought one from a salvage yard a few weeks ago. The boxes that take a electic speedo signal and turn it in to a cable drive are expensive and unreliable. THey are around 400.00 for the better ones. They are also all made for Domestic products like GM.

hansdampf
Naturally-aspirated

06-15-2015, 12:57 PM #4
Mensch Jan,

Du nu wieder…

Vielen Dank …

Cheers from munich
hansdampf
hansdampf
06-15-2015, 12:57 PM #4

Mensch Jan,

Du nu wieder…

Vielen Dank …

Cheers from munich
hansdampf

barrote
Superturbo

06-16-2015, 03:43 AM #5
hello fine people,
i too have the same problema, i have a 716 from a 270cdi gearbox waiting to install in my 124 std, and i´m strugling with a idea for the odometer and speedometer.
fist i thought of install the drive gears in the 716 something that would be easy for me, a definitive solution, but after i realise maybe there´s another way of getting this overcome.
in my w 124 i only have the ABS signal one at the diff and 2 at front wheels. and in the gearbox a phonic wheel when installed.
there should be a solution to drive the wire based in electronic signal.

FD,