STD Tuning Drivetrain Converting a BMW gearbox to a Mercedes flange?

Converting a BMW gearbox to a Mercedes flange?

Converting a BMW gearbox to a Mercedes flange?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

hooblah
Holset

05-31-2015, 07:48 AM #1
I've been thinking about changing my gearbox to a GS6-53dz, the only issue is trying to find one local that's already been converted...
So I was wondering - how difficult of a job is this and is there a step by step procedure available? 
hooblah
05-31-2015, 07:48 AM #1

I've been thinking about changing my gearbox to a GS6-53dz, the only issue is trying to find one local that's already been converted...
So I was wondering - how difficult of a job is this and is there a step by step procedure available? 

F.R.A.S
Holset

05-31-2015, 10:57 AM #2
Ok I'll do a quick write up.

Measure the gearbox and the cut of you have, choose a place on both that are as close as possible dimension wise. The 53dz are bigger all around so you will not be dead on anywhere.

Single mass flywheel requires the input shaft to extend outside the bellhouse edge. Measure twice, cut once...

DO NOT and I will repeat that DO NOT... Center the gearbox in the input shaft.

You can either use a machined piece acting as crank that will center the gearbox in an empty block or a thick piece of steel that works the same way and bolt it to. Just be thorough with this and weld the gearbox both inside and outside. You'll be fine it's a piece of cake.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
05-31-2015, 10:57 AM #2

Ok I'll do a quick write up.

Measure the gearbox and the cut of you have, choose a place on both that are as close as possible dimension wise. The 53dz are bigger all around so you will not be dead on anywhere.

Single mass flywheel requires the input shaft to extend outside the bellhouse edge. Measure twice, cut once...

DO NOT and I will repeat that DO NOT... Center the gearbox in the input shaft.

You can either use a machined piece acting as crank that will center the gearbox in an empty block or a thick piece of steel that works the same way and bolt it to. Just be thorough with this and weld the gearbox both inside and outside. You'll be fine it's a piece of cake.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

hooblah
Holset

05-31-2015, 05:57 PM #3
Haha you make it sound so easy!

OK I understand the first couple of bits, but I'm getting a little confused when you say "do not centre the gearbox in the input shaft."
Does that mean the input shaft is not centrally located?

So you're saying I have to mount the gearbox to the block somehow to get it central?
My plan was to remove the flywheel and make up a sleeve that bolts to the crank, the gearbox input shaft would fit into the sleeve and locate it. Then the flange can be positioned and welded.
Does that sound right to you?

Thanks for the help Fred, it's much appreciated!
hooblah
05-31-2015, 05:57 PM #3

Haha you make it sound so easy!

OK I understand the first couple of bits, but I'm getting a little confused when you say "do not centre the gearbox in the input shaft."
Does that mean the input shaft is not centrally located?

So you're saying I have to mount the gearbox to the block somehow to get it central?
My plan was to remove the flywheel and make up a sleeve that bolts to the crank, the gearbox input shaft would fit into the sleeve and locate it. Then the flange can be positioned and welded.
Does that sound right to you?

Thanks for the help Fred, it's much appreciated!

F.R.A.S
Holset

05-31-2015, 11:29 PM #4
On the phone writing so I'll keep it short. The inputshaft has to much play. If you center in that the end will break the first testdrive you do. Find a way to center the gearbox that is more stable then the inputshaft Wink

F.R.A.S
05-31-2015, 11:29 PM #4

On the phone writing so I'll keep it short. The inputshaft has to much play. If you center in that the end will break the first testdrive you do. Find a way to center the gearbox that is more stable then the inputshaft Wink

hooblah
Holset

06-01-2015, 05:01 PM #5
I guess my only option is to get a gearbox and have a go lol.
Fred how much do you charge for this service if I were to supply the gearbox? I'll also be needing a flywheel and clutch for this.
This post was last modified: 06-01-2015, 05:03 PM by hooblah.
hooblah
06-01-2015, 05:01 PM #5

I guess my only option is to get a gearbox and have a go lol.
Fred how much do you charge for this service if I were to supply the gearbox? I'll also be needing a flywheel and clutch for this.

EDH_Performance
Holset

06-02-2015, 03:47 AM #6
We hung off the gearbox in a chainblock, put in 2 bearings in the crankshaft as a center guide. 
Then we tack welded it carefully in place, then some heating and final welding.
Welded 3 gearboxes with this "cheap redneck" method, and all is working fineBig Grin
[Image: IMG_4063.jpg]
EDH_Performance
06-02-2015, 03:47 AM #6

We hung off the gearbox in a chainblock, put in 2 bearings in the crankshaft as a center guide. 
Then we tack welded it carefully in place, then some heating and final welding.
Welded 3 gearboxes with this "cheap redneck" method, and all is working fineBig Grin
[Image: IMG_4063.jpg]

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average