STD Tuning Drivetrain Got my axles. What else do I need?

Got my axles. What else do I need?

Got my axles. What else do I need?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

09-04-2009, 04:02 PM #1
So my new Empi axles have arrived. What else do I need? Diff cover gasket? Any necessary seals? How many quarts of gear oil will I need, and what's the recommended weight? I'm going to try and get my boss (who's fronting me the money to get it done, as I live in a desert and the bad axle has been getting worse) to spring for some synthetic oil. Might as well.

Got them from www.germanautoparts.com, started using them when I got my A2 Jetta and quickly learned that all VW parts aren't priced like Beetle parts. 250 for the pair brand new. Got to my boss's house a day and a half from order time (drop shipped from California). Got a power steering pump filter while I was at it, a little less than 5 bucks. I'm pretty sure I've seen other places online selling the same Mann filter for up to 17 bucks. So far, nothing but good experiences, and they carry a lot of stuff for our cars.

Most recommended a rebuilt axle from a specific shop, but I didn't want to confront my boss with a near 500 dollar bill and return shipping costs for the cores (which would have still been more expensive) - he had to be talked into the second axle, but having to do the same job twice isn't something I enjoy and the 'good' axle was at least as old and nearly as worn out (still seemingly tight but won't seem so compared to a new axle). Better to just do it right the first time.

Guess I'll find out for sure if this car was blessed with the $2k lsd option. I've been pretty lucky this year, I'd like to see the pattern continue. It would be a long shot but being up in snowy regions, and having $22k to blow on a nice but slow but economical and 'green' car (for it's time) - essentially being the Prius of it's day, in a way, if a Prius was more expensive than a Corvette ($18k in 1982) - in the early 80's, then another 2k for a limited slip would be a wise choice, like ordering AWD on a modern Mercedes. In any case, I'll know soon enough.
CID Vicious
09-04-2009, 04:02 PM #1

So my new Empi axles have arrived. What else do I need? Diff cover gasket? Any necessary seals? How many quarts of gear oil will I need, and what's the recommended weight? I'm going to try and get my boss (who's fronting me the money to get it done, as I live in a desert and the bad axle has been getting worse) to spring for some synthetic oil. Might as well.

Got them from www.germanautoparts.com, started using them when I got my A2 Jetta and quickly learned that all VW parts aren't priced like Beetle parts. 250 for the pair brand new. Got to my boss's house a day and a half from order time (drop shipped from California). Got a power steering pump filter while I was at it, a little less than 5 bucks. I'm pretty sure I've seen other places online selling the same Mann filter for up to 17 bucks. So far, nothing but good experiences, and they carry a lot of stuff for our cars.

Most recommended a rebuilt axle from a specific shop, but I didn't want to confront my boss with a near 500 dollar bill and return shipping costs for the cores (which would have still been more expensive) - he had to be talked into the second axle, but having to do the same job twice isn't something I enjoy and the 'good' axle was at least as old and nearly as worn out (still seemingly tight but won't seem so compared to a new axle). Better to just do it right the first time.

Guess I'll find out for sure if this car was blessed with the $2k lsd option. I've been pretty lucky this year, I'd like to see the pattern continue. It would be a long shot but being up in snowy regions, and having $22k to blow on a nice but slow but economical and 'green' car (for it's time) - essentially being the Prius of it's day, in a way, if a Prius was more expensive than a Corvette ($18k in 1982) - in the early 80's, then another 2k for a limited slip would be a wise choice, like ordering AWD on a modern Mercedes. In any case, I'll know soon enough.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

09-05-2009, 12:53 AM #2
what model is the car? usually u can use sealer on the rear diff. you do have to remove it to get the c clips off the axles! on a w123 I used 75w-80 synthetic. It lasts a little longer in a diff maybe a little less friction. I don't believe the w123 has an LSD option with diesel I think it was an AMG thing?

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
09-05-2009, 12:53 AM #2

what model is the car? usually u can use sealer on the rear diff. you do have to remove it to get the c clips off the axles! on a w123 I used 75w-80 synthetic. It lasts a little longer in a diff maybe a little less friction. I don't believe the w123 has an LSD option with diesel I think it was an AMG thing?

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

CID Vicious
Unregistered

09-05-2009, 08:49 AM #3
It's a 240D.

The LSD option was available, the AMG had it's own more advanced version. Neither are common, but they're around all the same. My car exhibits behavior consistent with a LSD that's seen lots of miles - the clutches might be loose, the fluid in the diff is likely as old as the axles themselves (which very well might date to 82 for all I know), etc. It'll be fairly obvious once the cover is pulled. Either my assumptions are correct, or off base, but if you look around someone posted the options list for the W123 and the LSD was listed, so they were available.

I can't believe this car was more expensive than a 'Vette back when...if you bought a 240D and checked the box for the $2k lsd option, you'd be able to buy a same year Vette, put the savings in the bank for about two years and buy a CRX HF for your daily commute (~50mpg and handles like a go cart). Or, I'm sure, a bunch of other combinations. Just not many diesel options, not in this country, anyway.

Thanks for the info, didn't know whether I'd need a brand new gasket or not. I'll report whether the posi's there or not when I find out.
CID Vicious
09-05-2009, 08:49 AM #3

It's a 240D.

The LSD option was available, the AMG had it's own more advanced version. Neither are common, but they're around all the same. My car exhibits behavior consistent with a LSD that's seen lots of miles - the clutches might be loose, the fluid in the diff is likely as old as the axles themselves (which very well might date to 82 for all I know), etc. It'll be fairly obvious once the cover is pulled. Either my assumptions are correct, or off base, but if you look around someone posted the options list for the W123 and the LSD was listed, so they were available.

I can't believe this car was more expensive than a 'Vette back when...if you bought a 240D and checked the box for the $2k lsd option, you'd be able to buy a same year Vette, put the savings in the bank for about two years and buy a CRX HF for your daily commute (~50mpg and handles like a go cart). Or, I'm sure, a bunch of other combinations. Just not many diesel options, not in this country, anyway.

Thanks for the info, didn't know whether I'd need a brand new gasket or not. I'll report whether the posi's there or not when I find out.

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-05-2009, 10:48 AM #4
The W123 never had LSD except through AMG.
ForcedInduction
09-05-2009, 10:48 AM #4

The W123 never had LSD except through AMG.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

09-05-2009, 06:49 PM #5
[Image: optionslist.jpg]

I seem to have been confused by this. So you have to order all of that to get an 'AMG' (no mention of an engine/trans option), or could one order, say, an AMG steering wheel and springs/shocks for their 240D if they so desired?
CID Vicious
09-05-2009, 06:49 PM #5

[Image: optionslist.jpg]

I seem to have been confused by this. So you have to order all of that to get an 'AMG' (no mention of an engine/trans option), or could one order, say, an AMG steering wheel and springs/shocks for their 240D if they so desired?

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-05-2009, 07:08 PM #6
AMG wasn't part of MB back then so I believe a person could order what parts they wanted.
This post was last modified: 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
09-05-2009, 07:08 PM #6

AMG wasn't part of MB back then so I believe a person could order what parts they wanted.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average