STD Tuning Engine So, I Asked for advice...

So, I Asked for advice...

So, I Asked for advice...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

kashi123
K26-2

05-12-2015, 06:28 PM #1
Hi,

A while back I Asked for advice how I could increase the torque of the OM606 at low revs in my mercedes G.
The consensus was bigger elements and supercharging or compound turbo.
A dieselmeken 7.5mm pump was duly ordered and is now on the engine, 90cc with stock turbo at 1.2 bar. Changing the turbo is well outside my comfort zone, for now....
Fitting the pump,was harrowing enough for a mechanical numpty like myself!

Anyway, first short run of the engine, sounds like it means business  Big Grin

Now to put the rest back together and go for a drive......

Thanks for all your advice

Br

Richard

http://youtu.be/qwsfZwsN3qs
kashi123
05-12-2015, 06:28 PM #1

Hi,

A while back I Asked for advice how I could increase the torque of the OM606 at low revs in my mercedes G.
The consensus was bigger elements and supercharging or compound turbo.
A dieselmeken 7.5mm pump was duly ordered and is now on the engine, 90cc with stock turbo at 1.2 bar. Changing the turbo is well outside my comfort zone, for now....
Fitting the pump,was harrowing enough for a mechanical numpty like myself!

Anyway, first short run of the engine, sounds like it means business  Big Grin

Now to put the rest back together and go for a drive......

Thanks for all your advice

Br

Richard

http://youtu.be/qwsfZwsN3qs

atypicalguy
Holset

05-12-2015, 06:35 PM #2
Super nice. Let us know how it acts now.
atypicalguy
05-12-2015, 06:35 PM #2

Super nice. Let us know how it acts now.

Booster
GT2559V

05-13-2015, 01:45 AM #3
The turbo should be easy compared to changing the pump. ??

I'd give it ago! Hope you enjoy the new pump!
Booster
05-13-2015, 01:45 AM #3

The turbo should be easy compared to changing the pump. ??

I'd give it ago! Hope you enjoy the new pump!

CutWeldDrive
Naturally-aspirated

05-13-2015, 03:36 AM #4
any idea what kinda power your putting out at 1.2bar and 90cc

changing turbo will be easy compared to changing pump
CutWeldDrive
05-13-2015, 03:36 AM #4

any idea what kinda power your putting out at 1.2bar and 90cc

changing turbo will be easy compared to changing pump

kashi123
K26-2

05-16-2015, 11:03 AM #5
Hi, no idea what kind of power now but The but dyno tells me 30 percent more than it had with the 6mm elements at what my diesel guy calls a generous setting.
But the power deleivery is completley changed it now hurls of the line instead of waiting for boost to build, it is now instant!

Ok, just got back from an extended testdrive, throttle linkage is perfect now and the intercooler hoses stay put. Result: un-freaking-believable!! No smoke whatsoever just raw power from low down and instant boost. Actually a bit too much boost, despite setting the boost controller at 17 psi it spikes up to 20 psi which is a bit much, also the needle flutters quite a bit round the 15 psi as long as I don't give it the full beans. I will need to play with the settings of the controller a bit, I can make the waste gate open and close faster if needed, And I think I do!

Question: as there is no discernable smoke would it harm anything to use the standard waste gate at 12 psi again or would i lose a lot of power. I am now power crazy you see.

It will now spin the 35's in second on tarmac, it is unbelievable!

Downsides? Idle is a bit naily when cold and hunts a tiny bit, temperature is up bit, it used to trundle around at 70 degrees C, now up to 80 degrees C.
EGT hovers around de 300 degrees C so that is fine as well.

Just need to make sure I don' t blow up my turbo, can't believe how quick that things flies to full boost!!
I have acquired a turbo of a saab 9-5 aero which I might fit at a later stage? But for now I love it and it needs to transverse Croatie in a few weeks so will see how it performs there

To all that recommended Dieselmeken and the 7.5mm elemts and Goran him self: thank you! The G wagen now behaves as I always wanted it to!!

Feeling good!!

Richard
kashi123
05-16-2015, 11:03 AM #5

Hi, no idea what kind of power now but The but dyno tells me 30 percent more than it had with the 6mm elements at what my diesel guy calls a generous setting.
But the power deleivery is completley changed it now hurls of the line instead of waiting for boost to build, it is now instant!

Ok, just got back from an extended testdrive, throttle linkage is perfect now and the intercooler hoses stay put. Result: un-freaking-believable!! No smoke whatsoever just raw power from low down and instant boost. Actually a bit too much boost, despite setting the boost controller at 17 psi it spikes up to 20 psi which is a bit much, also the needle flutters quite a bit round the 15 psi as long as I don't give it the full beans. I will need to play with the settings of the controller a bit, I can make the waste gate open and close faster if needed, And I think I do!

Question: as there is no discernable smoke would it harm anything to use the standard waste gate at 12 psi again or would i lose a lot of power. I am now power crazy you see.

It will now spin the 35's in second on tarmac, it is unbelievable!

Downsides? Idle is a bit naily when cold and hunts a tiny bit, temperature is up bit, it used to trundle around at 70 degrees C, now up to 80 degrees C.
EGT hovers around de 300 degrees C so that is fine as well.

Just need to make sure I don' t blow up my turbo, can't believe how quick that things flies to full boost!!
I have acquired a turbo of a saab 9-5 aero which I might fit at a later stage? But for now I love it and it needs to transverse Croatie in a few weeks so will see how it performs there

To all that recommended Dieselmeken and the 7.5mm elemts and Goran him self: thank you! The G wagen now behaves as I always wanted it to!!

Feeling good!!

Richard

kashi123
K26-2

05-18-2015, 06:39 AM #6
Ok, solved the boost spiking issue. i had plumbed the solenoid fromthe boost controller the wrong way round... So no boost control effectively ho hum!
Anyway all is good now, boost steady at 12 psi with still a small flutter around 6.
Still no smoke!! Just powerrrrrr happy days
kashi123
05-18-2015, 06:39 AM #6

Ok, solved the boost spiking issue. i had plumbed the solenoid fromthe boost controller the wrong way round... So no boost control effectively ho hum!
Anyway all is good now, boost steady at 12 psi with still a small flutter around 6.
Still no smoke!! Just powerrrrrr happy days

05-18-2015, 09:48 AM #7
Sounds good! Smile I'm thinking about similar route; bigger elements, stock turbo, no crazy HP. Sounds like it's just what I want!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
05-18-2015, 09:48 AM #7

Sounds good! Smile I'm thinking about similar route; bigger elements, stock turbo, no crazy HP. Sounds like it's just what I want!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

AlanMcR
mind - blown

05-18-2015, 09:15 PM #8
This is with an upgraded mechanical OM603 pump, right?
I'm getting tempted to do this with the electronic pump in mine. The G really could use a bit more get-up and go. The resistor fix gave me a taste of the possibilities.

What turbos have you found that will fit the OM606 in the G?
AlanMcR
05-18-2015, 09:15 PM #8

This is with an upgraded mechanical OM603 pump, right?
I'm getting tempted to do this with the electronic pump in mine. The G really could use a bit more get-up and go. The resistor fix gave me a taste of the possibilities.

What turbos have you found that will fit the OM606 in the G?

kashi123
K26-2

05-19-2015, 01:29 PM #9
Yes, upgraded mechanical 603 pump. At the moment I am running the stock turbo which seems perfectly adequate for now. i might at later date fit a saab aero one. Not sure if it is a direct fit, haven' t got into that yet.
Although I have 7.5mm elements The pump is only 90 cc as that is what I asked for and believe me the way it propels 2.5 metric tonne of G wagen is unbelievable!
kashi123
05-19-2015, 01:29 PM #9

Yes, upgraded mechanical 603 pump. At the moment I am running the stock turbo which seems perfectly adequate for now. i might at later date fit a saab aero one. Not sure if it is a direct fit, haven' t got into that yet.
Although I have 7.5mm elements The pump is only 90 cc as that is what I asked for and believe me the way it propels 2.5 metric tonne of G wagen is unbelievable!

AlanMcR
mind - blown

05-19-2015, 07:14 PM #10
(05-19-2015, 01:29 PM)kashi123 Yes, upgraded mechanical 603 pump. At the moment I am running the stock turbo which seems perfectly adequate for now. i might at later date fit a saab aero one. Not sure if it is a direct fit, haven' t got into that yet.

Anyone know what the max delivery of the electronically controlled pump is?

The tuners must have maps that show how much is injected under each given condition.  That would be interesting to see too.
AlanMcR
05-19-2015, 07:14 PM #10

(05-19-2015, 01:29 PM)kashi123 Yes, upgraded mechanical 603 pump. At the moment I am running the stock turbo which seems perfectly adequate for now. i might at later date fit a saab aero one. Not sure if it is a direct fit, haven' t got into that yet.

Anyone know what the max delivery of the electronically controlled pump is?

The tuners must have maps that show how much is injected under each given condition.  That would be interesting to see too.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average