STD Tuning Engine Inlet manifold porting - worth it?

Inlet manifold porting - worth it?

Inlet manifold porting - worth it?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

m1tch
GT2559V

05-07-2015, 07:40 AM #1
Hi all,

I will be taking off my OM606 inlet manifold soon to give it a good clean out and will probably also remove the EGR (as well as doing the EGR electronics mod to ensure I get full boost).

Just wondering if its worth doing any porting work as well as gasket matching once its out or if the stock manifold seems to flow quite well as stock?
m1tch
05-07-2015, 07:40 AM #1

Hi all,

I will be taking off my OM606 inlet manifold soon to give it a good clean out and will probably also remove the EGR (as well as doing the EGR electronics mod to ensure I get full boost).

Just wondering if its worth doing any porting work as well as gasket matching once its out or if the stock manifold seems to flow quite well as stock?

mytmousemalibu
K26-2

05-07-2015, 05:54 PM #2
If your not going for a high power build, like 400+hp, I probably wouldn't bother. The stock ports aren't too bad, there are much worse out there. I just finished fully porting my head and it was labor intensive and I am experienced. Probably have over 40+hrs labor in porting that head over the course of a number of evenings. Granted that was a lot more than a port-match job. The ports are smaller than the gasket holes on these engines. The biggest benefit for you is getting all the EGR buildup out of the ports & intake and making sure to not let it into the engine too. Mine was really bad when I got my engine.

89' 300E  ~ Parting Out
83' 240D~ Project "Cheap Drive"
03' 2500HD Dmax, lots of goodies
88' RX7 10th AE, 13B rotary Track Car Project
73' Datsun 510 wagon~ future project
79' Camaro Z28~ future project
mytmousemalibu
05-07-2015, 05:54 PM #2

If your not going for a high power build, like 400+hp, I probably wouldn't bother. The stock ports aren't too bad, there are much worse out there. I just finished fully porting my head and it was labor intensive and I am experienced. Probably have over 40+hrs labor in porting that head over the course of a number of evenings. Granted that was a lot more than a port-match job. The ports are smaller than the gasket holes on these engines. The biggest benefit for you is getting all the EGR buildup out of the ports & intake and making sure to not let it into the engine too. Mine was really bad when I got my engine.

89' 300E  ~ Parting Out
83' 240D~ Project "Cheap Drive"
03' 2500HD Dmax, lots of goodies
88' RX7 10th AE, 13B rotary Track Car Project
73' Datsun 510 wagon~ future project
79' Camaro Z28~ future project

m1tch
GT2559V

05-08-2015, 02:01 AM #3
(05-07-2015, 05:54 PM)mytmousemalibu If your not going for a high power build, like 400+hp, I probably wouldn't bother. The stock ports aren't too bad, there are much worse out there. I just finished fully porting my head and it was labor intensive and I am experienced. Probably have over 40+hrs labor in porting that head over the course of a number of evenings. Granted that was a lot more than a port-match job. The ports are smaller than the gasket holes on these engines. The biggest benefit for you is getting all the EGR buildup out of the ports & intake and making sure to not let it into the engine too. Mine was really bad when I got my engine.

Thanks for that, yeah I won't be going for a massively high power build as I will be running stock internals, also the head has a lot of valves which would take a fair amount of time to take out anyway! I plan to remove the inlet manifold soonish to remove all of the EGR muck that would have coated the manifold, might look at doing a port matching job anyway and go for more of an 'OEM+' level of work, eg getting the best out of the stock setup.
m1tch
05-08-2015, 02:01 AM #3

(05-07-2015, 05:54 PM)mytmousemalibu If your not going for a high power build, like 400+hp, I probably wouldn't bother. The stock ports aren't too bad, there are much worse out there. I just finished fully porting my head and it was labor intensive and I am experienced. Probably have over 40+hrs labor in porting that head over the course of a number of evenings. Granted that was a lot more than a port-match job. The ports are smaller than the gasket holes on these engines. The biggest benefit for you is getting all the EGR buildup out of the ports & intake and making sure to not let it into the engine too. Mine was really bad when I got my engine.

Thanks for that, yeah I won't be going for a massively high power build as I will be running stock internals, also the head has a lot of valves which would take a fair amount of time to take out anyway! I plan to remove the inlet manifold soonish to remove all of the EGR muck that would have coated the manifold, might look at doing a port matching job anyway and go for more of an 'OEM+' level of work, eg getting the best out of the stock setup.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average