STD Tuning Engine cdi conversion

cdi conversion

cdi conversion

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dieselsec
K26-2

04-19-2015, 01:11 PM #1
I'm planning on transplanting an om611 from a c220cdi I have. It's a w202. Body rotton.
I plan to swap it into a w126.
I understand the canbus is an ussue so i plan on swapping all electronics and associated wiring.
Question is- can I connect the 4 abs sensors from the w202 together and then connect/tap that into the one abs sensor wire on the w126 rear diff? To give the om611 ecu a speed signal? Would it work or confuse the ecu. Would it stop the abs working? 
Any thoughts? 
It's a manual om611.

W116 om611 
Dieselsec
04-19-2015, 01:11 PM #1

I'm planning on transplanting an om611 from a c220cdi I have. It's a w202. Body rotton.
I understand the canbus is an ussue so i plan on swapping all electronics and associated wiring.
Question is- can I connect the 4 abs sensors from the w202 together and then connect/tap that into the one abs sensor wire on the w126 rear diff? To give the om611 ecu a speed signal? Would it work or confuse the ecu. Would it stop the abs working? 
Any thoughts? 
It's a manual om611.

W116 om611 

AlanMcR
mind - blown

04-19-2015, 10:33 PM #2
(04-19-2015, 01:11 PM)Dieselsec I'm planning on transplanting an om611 from a c220cdi I have. It's a w202. Body rotton.
Any thoughts? 
It's a manual om611.

That should work, though you might want to be sure that the pulse count per revolution is similar in both vehicles. 
Does the ECU have any idea what gear the transmission is in?  
AlanMcR
04-19-2015, 10:33 PM #2

(04-19-2015, 01:11 PM)Dieselsec I'm planning on transplanting an om611 from a c220cdi I have. It's a w202. Body rotton.
Any thoughts? 
It's a manual om611.

That should work, though you might want to be sure that the pulse count per revolution is similar in both vehicles. 
Does the ECU have any idea what gear the transmission is in?  

Dieselsec
K26-2

04-20-2015, 07:46 AM #3
That is what I was thinking also but the only wires on the gearbox is for the reverse light so the ecu wouldn't know what gear it was in.
The pulse being sent from the w126 rear diff reluctor ring would tell the om611 ecu that there is wheel movement and also send the signal to the dash speedo.
Being a manual transmission I think it might work but would like to know for sure before undertaking the task transplanting everything and putting in a clutch pedal.

W116 om611 
Dieselsec
04-20-2015, 07:46 AM #3

That is what I was thinking also but the only wires on the gearbox is for the reverse light so the ecu wouldn't know what gear it was in.
The pulse being sent from the w126 rear diff reluctor ring would tell the om611 ecu that there is wheel movement and also send the signal to the dash speedo.
Being a manual transmission I think it might work but would like to know for sure before undertaking the task transplanting everything and putting in a clutch pedal.

W116 om611 

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-20-2015, 08:49 AM #4
"can I connect the 4 abs sensors from the w202 together and then connect/tap that into the one abs sensor wire on the w126 rear diff?"
If the 202 uses active sensors, then no. If it uses passive sensors like the 126, AND the resistance of sensors is similar, then maybe but I doubt it.

"Would it work or confuse the ecu."
Assuming I'm wrong and works well enough that once you're rolling, the abs module is fooled, if the number of pulses per wheel rotation is significantly different than the W202, the engine ECU could be very mistaken about actual vehicle speed. This could lead to weird shift timing and possible speed limiter problems, incorrect trans ratio codes, limp mode, false abs activation etc....

"Would it stop the abs working?"
Assuming that it works well enough for you to drive down the road, and the speed of the single abs sensor drops at a rate fast enough to indicate impending lockup, the abs module will reduce braking at all 4 corners. You would essentially have single channel 4 wheel abs. I would not want to share the road with such a car, or at least, I would not want you behind me.
raysorenson
04-20-2015, 08:49 AM #4

"can I connect the 4 abs sensors from the w202 together and then connect/tap that into the one abs sensor wire on the w126 rear diff?"
If the 202 uses active sensors, then no. If it uses passive sensors like the 126, AND the resistance of sensors is similar, then maybe but I doubt it.

"Would it work or confuse the ecu."
Assuming I'm wrong and works well enough that once you're rolling, the abs module is fooled, if the number of pulses per wheel rotation is significantly different than the W202, the engine ECU could be very mistaken about actual vehicle speed. This could lead to weird shift timing and possible speed limiter problems, incorrect trans ratio codes, limp mode, false abs activation etc....

"Would it stop the abs working?"
Assuming that it works well enough for you to drive down the road, and the speed of the single abs sensor drops at a rate fast enough to indicate impending lockup, the abs module will reduce braking at all 4 corners. You would essentially have single channel 4 wheel abs. I would not want to share the road with such a car, or at least, I would not want you behind me.

Dieselsec
K26-2

04-20-2015, 11:56 AM #5
Yes I've been thinking about the risk of involving the abs and decided to leave that alone.
I read a thread sometime back where a guy converted the 6 cylinder cdi into an older Merc. As far as I can remember he somehow spliced the relucter ring into the propshaft with the sensor pickup mounted very close. I've seen a similar set up in a boat. With all ecus and loom from a car.  I will look into something similar.
I had also thought about using a 722.3 auto instead of the manual and using the speedo sender for the speed sensors but I guess it comes down to the resistance and whether they are passive sensors as raysorenson mentioned.
Maybe I should just put an om606 in it with mechanical injector pump.

W116 om611 
Dieselsec
04-20-2015, 11:56 AM #5

Yes I've been thinking about the risk of involving the abs and decided to leave that alone.
I read a thread sometime back where a guy converted the 6 cylinder cdi into an older Merc. As far as I can remember he somehow spliced the relucter ring into the propshaft with the sensor pickup mounted very close. I've seen a similar set up in a boat. With all ecus and loom from a car.  I will look into something similar.
I had also thought about using a 722.3 auto instead of the manual and using the speedo sender for the speed sensors but I guess it comes down to the resistance and whether they are passive sensors as raysorenson mentioned.
Maybe I should just put an om606 in it with mechanical injector pump.

W116 om611 

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-20-2015, 12:42 PM #6
Teh driveshaft reluctor sounds great. Use the stock sensor, or sensors from the 202 and keep the original abs system functioning. You could also mount reluctors to the axles.
raysorenson
04-20-2015, 12:42 PM #6

Teh driveshaft reluctor sounds great. Use the stock sensor, or sensors from the 202 and keep the original abs system functioning. You could also mount reluctors to the axles.

Dieselsec
K26-2

04-20-2015, 01:28 PM #7
@raysorenson, do you think it would be possible to splice the 4 wheel speed sensor wires into one sensor?

There was a Jaguar xjs on ebay a few years back with the om611 fitted and manual gearbox. He transplanted all wiring, key, ecu's and the dash etc. Apparently it worked well and pulled great but the snag being it wouldn't rev past 3k revs but he couldn't figure out why.

W116 om611 
Dieselsec
04-20-2015, 01:28 PM #7

@raysorenson, do you think it would be possible to splice the 4 wheel speed sensor wires into one sensor?

There was a Jaguar xjs on ebay a few years back with the om611 fitted and manual gearbox. He transplanted all wiring, key, ecu's and the dash etc. Apparently it worked well and pulled great but the snag being it wouldn't rev past 3k revs but he couldn't figure out why.

W116 om611 

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-20-2015, 02:39 PM #8
That's uncharted territory for me.

I did work on an F350 recently that had 2 out of 3 failed ABS speed sensors, the one in the diff and one of the fronts. Bosch ABS. It set P0500 vehicle speed sensor DTC in the PCM (engine ECU). The trans did shift fine, but this powertrain can use the output shaft speed sensor (OSS) in lieu of the networked ABS speed signal in failure mode. My assumption is that once the abs module lost 2 of 3 sensors it quit sending a speed sensor signal over the network.

If you had a test vehicle, you could just unplug a number of sensors and observe behavior.
raysorenson
04-20-2015, 02:39 PM #8

That's uncharted territory for me.

I did work on an F350 recently that had 2 out of 3 failed ABS speed sensors, the one in the diff and one of the fronts. Bosch ABS. It set P0500 vehicle speed sensor DTC in the PCM (engine ECU). The trans did shift fine, but this powertrain can use the output shaft speed sensor (OSS) in lieu of the networked ABS speed signal in failure mode. My assumption is that once the abs module lost 2 of 3 sensors it quit sending a speed sensor signal over the network.

If you had a test vehicle, you could just unplug a number of sensors and observe behavior.

barrote
Superturbo

04-20-2015, 02:46 PM #9
come on , the abs sytem in many of those cars are from 70thies like the 123series. and the same as the 202.
some cars like the 202 have the active braking device wich is not part of the abs, and it will brake anyway.
if u want to have ABS u got to have 3 sensors at least that´s what those 123 have. 2 in the front wheels and one at diff.
CDI engines in the 202, are not the same as the 203 where the system is integrated.
remembre 202´s cdi is just a upgrade in motorization. totally diff from 203.

FD,