STD Maintenance General W202 fuel supply issues. Tank strainer clogged ??

W202 fuel supply issues. Tank strainer clogged ??

W202 fuel supply issues. Tank strainer clogged ??

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Petar
7.5mm M pump

04-11-2015, 07:32 AM #1
Ok so my C250 Turbodiesel wagon has been giving me some headaches. 
I have once ran out of fuel with the gauge still showing 1/4 tank left !! Never let it below 1/4 tank later.
A couple of months later i was driving around and suddenly it stalled. Thought i ran out of fuel I poured some into the tank however it won't start at all. Tried the crank crank crank method and killed the battery.
I towed it home luckily i was only about 600m away. Checked the suction hose and i couldn't pull any fuel at all.
Note that i have a mechanical injection pump from an OM602 NA. I also have a complete fuel system with banjo bolts so that rules out the infamous o ring issues.
So i tried to connect the lift pump to a hose, droped the hose into a jerry can full of diesel. It started and ran OK.
That makes me suspect the tank strainer. So my question is does the W202 wagon have a tank strainer ?? I can't for the life of me find it.  Rolleyes

Also the fuel gauge has become extremely erratic now, when i turn on ignition it swings around from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank.
This post was last modified: 04-11-2015, 07:33 AM by Petar.
Petar
04-11-2015, 07:32 AM #1

Ok so my C250 Turbodiesel wagon has been giving me some headaches. 
I have once ran out of fuel with the gauge still showing 1/4 tank left !! Never let it below 1/4 tank later.
A couple of months later i was driving around and suddenly it stalled. Thought i ran out of fuel I poured some into the tank however it won't start at all. Tried the crank crank crank method and killed the battery.
I towed it home luckily i was only about 600m away. Checked the suction hose and i couldn't pull any fuel at all.
Note that i have a mechanical injection pump from an OM602 NA. I also have a complete fuel system with banjo bolts so that rules out the infamous o ring issues.
So i tried to connect the lift pump to a hose, droped the hose into a jerry can full of diesel. It started and ran OK.
That makes me suspect the tank strainer. So my question is does the W202 wagon have a tank strainer ?? I can't for the life of me find it.  Rolleyes

Also the fuel gauge has become extremely erratic now, when i turn on ignition it swings around from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

08-13-2015, 07:46 AM #2
Let us know when you fix it, others may have that problem in the future running off WVO / boi etc, including me..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
08-13-2015, 07:46 AM #2

Let us know when you fix it, others may have that problem in the future running off WVO / boi etc, including me..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

RickyE
TA 0301

08-16-2015, 04:42 PM #3
ah the fuel tank on these w202 can be abit of a pain, they dont have a strainer though, well atleast mine didnt when i had to clean it out

just for interest try filling it right up and trying again, when i had the problem in my tank i read up on them. Because they are a saddle tank design, there is a pipe that joins both sides of the tank, it pretty much syphons the diesel from the side you fill into to the side the pump lifts from, if this pipe gets blocked or gets a hole in it, it wont syphon it accros, the only way to get around it is to fill the tank

from what i remember you can swap your feed and return lines, might be worth a try to as it returns into the same side you fill from, so it should be full of diesel
RickyE
08-16-2015, 04:42 PM #3

ah the fuel tank on these w202 can be abit of a pain, they dont have a strainer though, well atleast mine didnt when i had to clean it out

just for interest try filling it right up and trying again, when i had the problem in my tank i read up on them. Because they are a saddle tank design, there is a pipe that joins both sides of the tank, it pretty much syphons the diesel from the side you fill into to the side the pump lifts from, if this pipe gets blocked or gets a hole in it, it wont syphon it accros, the only way to get around it is to fill the tank

from what i remember you can swap your feed and return lines, might be worth a try to as it returns into the same side you fill from, so it should be full of diesel

Petar
7.5mm M pump

08-19-2015, 05:30 PM #4
I didn't fix it yet, just driving my w123 now since the W202 is not registered anyway.

Replaced the main suction hose that goes to the lift pump in the engine bay.
I did manage to get it to start but it ran for about 10 minutes and died again Dodgy   So i will fill up and try again.
Read this: 
http://qclt.com/train/w202/w202/Chassis_...eltank.htm 
I am now pretty sure that both of the venturis are clogged and the fuel only gets sucked from the anti-splash container. Once 8 litres of fuel get used up and transfered to the left chamber the engine dies. Now since i got bored of cranking over i got an old w123 lift pump and pumped manually. At first i easily got a flow of fuel. But then when i started it and it died it couldn't suck anything, seems to be just air. Considering that the lift pump should suck about half a liter to one liter per minute this matches the symptoms  Idea

Now i will try to fill up and if i manage to pull fuel from the tank then i now what the problem is.
BTW when it did run a long time ago  Big Grin it would just die when you get to 1/4 tank on the gauge, left my father stranded once. 
So I'm pretty sure that the syphons are clogged.

Now how do i clean them ?? I have to drain the tank trough the fuel level senders and then remove them and i can access the syphons and tubes, right ?? Somebody somewhere mentioned that the threaded fitting for the W123 tank strainer works great for this.

No wonder this happens since the fuel here is terrible, i have to clean the tank strainer on the W123 every year or two.  Exclamation Exclamation 
Sorry for long post but this car is driving me crazy  Angry
Petar
08-19-2015, 05:30 PM #4

I didn't fix it yet, just driving my w123 now since the W202 is not registered anyway.

Replaced the main suction hose that goes to the lift pump in the engine bay.
I did manage to get it to start but it ran for about 10 minutes and died again Dodgy   So i will fill up and try again.
Read this: 
http://qclt.com/train/w202/w202/Chassis_...eltank.htm 
I am now pretty sure that both of the venturis are clogged and the fuel only gets sucked from the anti-splash container. Once 8 litres of fuel get used up and transfered to the left chamber the engine dies. Now since i got bored of cranking over i got an old w123 lift pump and pumped manually. At first i easily got a flow of fuel. But then when i started it and it died it couldn't suck anything, seems to be just air. Considering that the lift pump should suck about half a liter to one liter per minute this matches the symptoms  Idea

Now i will try to fill up and if i manage to pull fuel from the tank then i now what the problem is.
BTW when it did run a long time ago  Big Grin it would just die when you get to 1/4 tank on the gauge, left my father stranded once. 
So I'm pretty sure that the syphons are clogged.

Now how do i clean them ?? I have to drain the tank trough the fuel level senders and then remove them and i can access the syphons and tubes, right ?? Somebody somewhere mentioned that the threaded fitting for the W123 tank strainer works great for this.

No wonder this happens since the fuel here is terrible, i have to clean the tank strainer on the W123 every year or two.  Exclamation Exclamation 
Sorry for long post but this car is driving me crazy  Angry

Tito
Holset

08-24-2015, 12:24 PM #5
No nasty bacteria problem in your fuel tanks?
Tito
08-24-2015, 12:24 PM #5

No nasty bacteria problem in your fuel tanks?

Petar
7.5mm M pump

01-02-2016, 12:32 PM #6
Just wanna let you know, the problem is fixed. A plastic bag was found in the tank Exclamation  
How the hell did it get there i don't know  Huh
Petar
01-02-2016, 12:32 PM #6

Just wanna let you know, the problem is fixed. A plastic bag was found in the tank Exclamation  

charlysays
GTA2056V

04-21-2016, 08:13 AM #7
(01-02-2016, 12:32 PM)Petar Just wanna let you know, the problem is fixed. A plastic bag was found in the tank Exclamation  

Haha... mate of mine who runs on WVO had a slug block his fuel pickup!!

I've done about 85k miles on WVO in my C250 TD wagon and fallen foul of the saddle tank issue a few times.
I carry a small can of diesel in the boot just in case now.
However, if you brim the tank the range is around 300 miles down to half a tank which is really not that bad.

I've thought long and hard about how to make the tanks balance better.
Both solutions I found had downsides.

You either run a simple pipe joining the tanks underneath the prop shaft, which is vulnerable to getting ripped off.
Or you use something like a facet pump to constantly empty the return side into the feed side.
This could leave you stranded if and when the pump gets blocked or packs up due to pumping WVO.

The C250 TD doesn't have a tank strainer as has been said... there's a witches hat pre filter located next to the main filter on the engine.
charlysays
04-21-2016, 08:13 AM #7

(01-02-2016, 12:32 PM)Petar Just wanna let you know, the problem is fixed. A plastic bag was found in the tank Exclamation  

Haha... mate of mine who runs on WVO had a slug block his fuel pickup!!

I've done about 85k miles on WVO in my C250 TD wagon and fallen foul of the saddle tank issue a few times.
I carry a small can of diesel in the boot just in case now.
However, if you brim the tank the range is around 300 miles down to half a tank which is really not that bad.

I've thought long and hard about how to make the tanks balance better.
Both solutions I found had downsides.

You either run a simple pipe joining the tanks underneath the prop shaft, which is vulnerable to getting ripped off.
Or you use something like a facet pump to constantly empty the return side into the feed side.
This could leave you stranded if and when the pump gets blocked or packs up due to pumping WVO.

The C250 TD doesn't have a tank strainer as has been said... there's a witches hat pre filter located next to the main filter on the engine.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average