STD Maintenance General Signs of an injector pump going bad

Signs of an injector pump going bad

Signs of an injector pump going bad

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

08-28-2009, 11:35 AM #3
When mine died it did so "gracefully". The problem began to manifest itself as trouble starting, which progressed to stalling when put in gear, which eventually worsened to a state where below 2000rpm the engine would die. However, these problems did not occur running WVO. I suspect (guess) the reason is that the clearance between the plungers and their cylinder walls got so big that there was "blowby" of fuel in the IP elements. The thicker fuel allowed sufficient pressure to pop the injectors at starting and idle speeds, whereas the thinner fuel leaked by at a sufficient rate to prevent the injectors from popping. This occurred over the course of 2 days on a cross-country road trip, and was due to one tank of bad diesel fuel. Be careful!
GREASY_BEAST
08-28-2009, 11:35 AM #3

When mine died it did so "gracefully". The problem began to manifest itself as trouble starting, which progressed to stalling when put in gear, which eventually worsened to a state where below 2000rpm the engine would die. However, these problems did not occur running WVO. I suspect (guess) the reason is that the clearance between the plungers and their cylinder walls got so big that there was "blowby" of fuel in the IP elements. The thicker fuel allowed sufficient pressure to pop the injectors at starting and idle speeds, whereas the thinner fuel leaked by at a sufficient rate to prevent the injectors from popping. This occurred over the course of 2 days on a cross-country road trip, and was due to one tank of bad diesel fuel. Be careful!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Signs of an injector pump going bad - by spheil - 08-28-2009, 07:54 AM
RE: Signs of an injector pump going bad - by greasenut - 08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
RE: Signs of an injector pump going bad - by GREASY_BEAST - 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
RE: Signs of an injector pump going bad - by tantank79 - 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
RE: Signs of an injector pump going bad - by greasenut - 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM