STD Maintenance General Signs of an injector pump going bad

Signs of an injector pump going bad

Signs of an injector pump going bad

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

spheil
Naturally-aspirated

08-28-2009, 07:54 AM #1
What are some of the signs of an injector pump going bad? And if my pump is heading south is there a problem of just driving it till it dies then putting a rebuilt one on?

1983 300CD 3rd owner purchased in 96 with 140,000 now pushing 350,000
spheil
08-28-2009, 07:54 AM #1

What are some of the signs of an injector pump going bad? And if my pump is heading south is there a problem of just driving it till it dies then putting a rebuilt one on?

1983 300CD 3rd owner purchased in 96 with 140,000 now pushing 350,000

greasenut
Dang Tree Hugger

08-28-2009, 11:08 AM #2
I don't have any first hand experience with a failing pump, but getting 350k miles out of anything mechanical is commendable. I have heard that some have a graceful degradation about them and some just up and quit. For something that major you may want to replaced/rebuilt on your terms prior to a roadside failure. I use my 123 for long hauls (on WVO of course) so I try to stay on top of the big mechanical must haves. Door locks, tach, sunroof, etc is non-critical in my book. Congrats on the 500K kilo grill badge.
greasenut
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM #2

I don't have any first hand experience with a failing pump, but getting 350k miles out of anything mechanical is commendable. I have heard that some have a graceful degradation about them and some just up and quit. For something that major you may want to replaced/rebuilt on your terms prior to a roadside failure. I use my 123 for long hauls (on WVO of course) so I try to stay on top of the big mechanical must haves. Door locks, tach, sunroof, etc is non-critical in my book. Congrats on the 500K kilo grill badge.

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

08-28-2009, 11:35 AM #3
When mine died it did so "gracefully". The problem began to manifest itself as trouble starting, which progressed to stalling when put in gear, which eventually worsened to a state where below 2000rpm the engine would die. However, these problems did not occur running WVO. I suspect (guess) the reason is that the clearance between the plungers and their cylinder walls got so big that there was "blowby" of fuel in the IP elements. The thicker fuel allowed sufficient pressure to pop the injectors at starting and idle speeds, whereas the thinner fuel leaked by at a sufficient rate to prevent the injectors from popping. This occurred over the course of 2 days on a cross-country road trip, and was due to one tank of bad diesel fuel. Be careful!
GREASY_BEAST
08-28-2009, 11:35 AM #3

When mine died it did so "gracefully". The problem began to manifest itself as trouble starting, which progressed to stalling when put in gear, which eventually worsened to a state where below 2000rpm the engine would die. However, these problems did not occur running WVO. I suspect (guess) the reason is that the clearance between the plungers and their cylinder walls got so big that there was "blowby" of fuel in the IP elements. The thicker fuel allowed sufficient pressure to pop the injectors at starting and idle speeds, whereas the thinner fuel leaked by at a sufficient rate to prevent the injectors from popping. This occurred over the course of 2 days on a cross-country road trip, and was due to one tank of bad diesel fuel. Be careful!

tantank79
T3-45

08-28-2009, 12:44 PM #4
If you think it is going out, replace it now before it dies on you. My pump died almost instantly. One minute I was in the driveway with the car running just fine. Went to back out of the driveway and it sputtered and died, never to run again. I thought it was anything but the IP, but after checking everything, I swapped in a spare and the car started.

-Brian

1983 300TD
1982 240D
1981 280TE
tantank79
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM #4

If you think it is going out, replace it now before it dies on you. My pump died almost instantly. One minute I was in the driveway with the car running just fine. Went to back out of the driveway and it sputtered and died, never to run again. I thought it was anything but the IP, but after checking everything, I swapped in a spare and the car started.

-Brian

1983 300TD
1982 240D
1981 280TE

greasenut
Dang Tree Hugger

08-28-2009, 04:11 PM #5
(08-28-2009, 11:35 AM)GREASY_BEAST This occurred over the course of 2 days on a cross-country road trip, and was due to one tank of bad diesel fuel. Be careful!

I read about a guy on a BioDiesel/WVO forum that got a hold of some bad oil from a dumpster that wacked his injectors. I recall it was a Dodge truck. Anyway... a friend of mine sells dish washing soaps and other consumables to restaurants. One day we are sitting around having a beer when I bring up that I can't get some polymerized WVO off of my tank and from around my filter in the engine compartment. He says he has something that will take it off and pulls out a window cleaner bottle with some of the stuff. I shoot it on my aluminum tank and she shined up brand new - and fast! This was some serious acid or something. Cleaned up the mess in the engine compartment real nice - making anything bare metal look brand new, even changing the color of the paint a bit. I'm betting if this got in your fuel source it would easily ruin an IP and/or injectors. Now that I think about it, I probably should not use it anymore.
greasenut
08-28-2009, 04:11 PM #5

(08-28-2009, 11:35 AM)GREASY_BEAST This occurred over the course of 2 days on a cross-country road trip, and was due to one tank of bad diesel fuel. Be careful!

I read about a guy on a BioDiesel/WVO forum that got a hold of some bad oil from a dumpster that wacked his injectors. I recall it was a Dodge truck. Anyway... a friend of mine sells dish washing soaps and other consumables to restaurants. One day we are sitting around having a beer when I bring up that I can't get some polymerized WVO off of my tank and from around my filter in the engine compartment. He says he has something that will take it off and pulls out a window cleaner bottle with some of the stuff. I shoot it on my aluminum tank and she shined up brand new - and fast! This was some serious acid or something. Cleaned up the mess in the engine compartment real nice - making anything bare metal look brand new, even changing the color of the paint a bit. I'm betting if this got in your fuel source it would easily ruin an IP and/or injectors. Now that I think about it, I probably should not use it anymore.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average