STD Tuning Engine Parallel twin turbo... Think with me..

Parallel twin turbo... Think with me..

Parallel twin turbo... Think with me..

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tito
Holset

03-25-2015, 05:14 PM #1
Hey guys,

So i've been thinking about this for a while now, I definably going to do this. But i reckon I could use your guys opinion.
I'm building a OM606 8mm dieselmeken pump and HX40s in a w114/115. I've been thinking about different dual charge setups. 

I have some choices i'm already owning:
HX40s
HX35w
stock KKK turbo
Eaton M65
Some throttle body's and a 3.5" special exhaust valve.

I don't like just using the HX40s because I think it will be laggy.
I don't like the HX35w + HX40s compound charge setup because you're limited to your LP turbo.
I don't like the M65 + HX40s compound because it's just too much work figuring out how to turn off the charger for fast boost + valve piping and so on. + noisy 

So i'm trying the stock turbo, with the HX40s. But not together but side by side. 

Pro's:
Fast spool
Barely any influence for both turbo's
Looks quiet easy to me (can image it being complicated but I thought about this like a 100 times when I trying to fall asleep  Big Grin )
Not much less space than other setups, but more movable placement.

Cons:
First time?
Complicated activating (playing with multiple wastegates and pressures)

So here's the story, I'm using the stock turbo for early spool, and completely by-passing this at high boost. Looking at the design, it just like any other HX40s turbo build. But, after the turbo in the downpipe, there's a valve which blocks the exhaust flow completely. So when spooling the valve is shut and gas is forced to go trough the small turbo, making it fast spooling. At high RPM and a certain intake pressure (quiet low, like 0.8 ~ 1.0 bar, so it gets the valve to completely open up at <3.0 or so making the big turbo breathe easily) the valve is open.

Looking at intake side, It's about the same. The common big turbo setup is used again and there's another valve completely shutting off the big turbo's pressure side so pressure can build up against the valve. After the valve, the small stock turbo can build boost directly into the engine without restriction. When the big turbo is starting to build boost (0.8~1.0 bar) before the throttle valve, the same pressure is gently opening up both valve's (also in the exhaust!) making the big turbo come alive and eventually reaching a boost pressure making both valve's completely opened up, so big turbo fully active. So the small turbo's boost is feeding the big turbo.

Looking at the exhaust again, but with the valve fully opened the small turbo looses back pressure. Therefore it can not make any boost and a one-way valve shuts so no big turbo boost gets lost.

Here's a simple paint diagram to show the setup: 
[Image: Untitled_2.jpg]

The reason I don't let the small turbo blow in the big turbo (would help spool) and using a diverter flap is because the flap is hard to control mechanically because boost get to 0 before the big turbo 2 times in a full rev range. So it would bug and just use the big turbo.
Also I like to keep thing mechanical. That's the iconic thing about this engine.
This post was last modified: 03-25-2015, 05:18 PM by Tito.
Tito
03-25-2015, 05:14 PM #1

Hey guys,

So i've been thinking about this for a while now, I definably going to do this. But i reckon I could use your guys opinion.
I'm building a OM606 8mm dieselmeken pump and HX40s in a w114/115. I've been thinking about different dual charge setups. 

I have some choices i'm already owning:
HX40s
HX35w
stock KKK turbo
Eaton M65
Some throttle body's and a 3.5" special exhaust valve.

I don't like just using the HX40s because I think it will be laggy.
I don't like the HX35w + HX40s compound charge setup because you're limited to your LP turbo.
I don't like the M65 + HX40s compound because it's just too much work figuring out how to turn off the charger for fast boost + valve piping and so on. + noisy 

So i'm trying the stock turbo, with the HX40s. But not together but side by side. 

Pro's:
Fast spool
Barely any influence for both turbo's
Looks quiet easy to me (can image it being complicated but I thought about this like a 100 times when I trying to fall asleep  Big Grin )
Not much less space than other setups, but more movable placement.

Cons:
First time?
Complicated activating (playing with multiple wastegates and pressures)

So here's the story, I'm using the stock turbo for early spool, and completely by-passing this at high boost. Looking at the design, it just like any other HX40s turbo build. But, after the turbo in the downpipe, there's a valve which blocks the exhaust flow completely. So when spooling the valve is shut and gas is forced to go trough the small turbo, making it fast spooling. At high RPM and a certain intake pressure (quiet low, like 0.8 ~ 1.0 bar, so it gets the valve to completely open up at <3.0 or so making the big turbo breathe easily) the valve is open.

Looking at intake side, It's about the same. The common big turbo setup is used again and there's another valve completely shutting off the big turbo's pressure side so pressure can build up against the valve. After the valve, the small stock turbo can build boost directly into the engine without restriction. When the big turbo is starting to build boost (0.8~1.0 bar) before the throttle valve, the same pressure is gently opening up both valve's (also in the exhaust!) making the big turbo come alive and eventually reaching a boost pressure making both valve's completely opened up, so big turbo fully active. So the small turbo's boost is feeding the big turbo.

Looking at the exhaust again, but with the valve fully opened the small turbo looses back pressure. Therefore it can not make any boost and a one-way valve shuts so no big turbo boost gets lost.

Here's a simple paint diagram to show the setup: 
[Image: Untitled_2.jpg]

The reason I don't let the small turbo blow in the big turbo (would help spool) and using a diverter flap is because the flap is hard to control mechanically because boost get to 0 before the big turbo 2 times in a full rev range. So it would bug and just use the big turbo.
Also I like to keep thing mechanical. That's the iconic thing about this engine.

TurboTim
Holset

03-25-2015, 05:53 PM #2
I gotta be honest there is no way you will fit any of that under the hood of a W115. I just did a motor swap on one and so much stuff had to be fabbed to make anything work. That engine bay is tiny! I wish you the best of luck and if you got any questions let me know. On the setup you have it will force the big turbo past the surge point and it will stall out the air flow and be pretty hard on the turbo. I also know in my experience with compound setups your small turbo will not spool as good as it would without another turbo behind it. I say try a little bit bigger small turbo and that should be able to get the big boy online quicker since there wont be so much restriction on the exhaust side.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
03-25-2015, 05:53 PM #2

I gotta be honest there is no way you will fit any of that under the hood of a W115. I just did a motor swap on one and so much stuff had to be fabbed to make anything work. That engine bay is tiny! I wish you the best of luck and if you got any questions let me know. On the setup you have it will force the big turbo past the surge point and it will stall out the air flow and be pretty hard on the turbo. I also know in my experience with compound setups your small turbo will not spool as good as it would without another turbo behind it. I say try a little bit bigger small turbo and that should be able to get the big boy online quicker since there wont be so much restriction on the exhaust side.

barrote
Superturbo

03-25-2015, 06:21 PM #3
have u considered a Variable vane turbine and a Kompressor, conected in series...... da da da
VNT turbines come alive pretty soon at 2500 the are at peak boost, so u can fit a compressor fitted with a electroactuated pulley , just before the inlet, such a way that when the turbo takes over u just need a means of actuate the compressor puley to release and a buterfly valve to redirection boost the right path

so , VNT turbo, intercooler, split the air path in two ways , one to compressor, other to the intake plenum . the passage wich is paralel to the compressor takes the buterfly valve.
low revs , compressor on, buterfly closed. high revs compressor off , buterfly opened ..... pretty simple Smile
dreamed of that the other day.....

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-25-2015, 06:21 PM #3

have u considered a Variable vane turbine and a Kompressor, conected in series...... da da da
VNT turbines come alive pretty soon at 2500 the are at peak boost, so u can fit a compressor fitted with a electroactuated pulley , just before the inlet, such a way that when the turbo takes over u just need a means of actuate the compressor puley to release and a buterfly valve to redirection boost the right path

so , VNT turbo, intercooler, split the air path in two ways , one to compressor, other to the intake plenum . the passage wich is paralel to the compressor takes the buterfly valve.
low revs , compressor on, buterfly closed. high revs compressor off , buterfly opened ..... pretty simple Smile

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

TurboTim
Holset

03-25-2015, 06:35 PM #4

TurboTim
03-25-2015, 06:35 PM #4

Tito
Holset

03-26-2015, 01:33 AM #5
(03-25-2015, 06:21 PM)barrote have u considered a Variable vane turbine and a Kompressor, conected in series...... da da da

so , VNT turbo, intercooler, split the air path in two ways , one to compressor, other to the intake plenum . the passage wich is paralel to the compressor takes the butterfly valve

Been thinking about this too. But having some problems with this.
Space: the 606 fits exactly in the w114 bay. For a electronic sc clutch I need a bigger pulley diameter. In this case a double crank pulley. This isn't going to fit.
Second: vw TSI engines use the same principles. The have a very noticeable power drop when switching from sc to turbo.

(03-25-2015, 06:35 PM)TurboTim I gotta be honest there is no way you will fit any of that under the hood of a W115. I just did a motor swap on one and so much stuff had to be fabbed to make anything work. That engine bay is tiny! I wish you the best of luck and if you got any questions let me know. On the setup you have it will force the big turbo past the surge point and it will stall out the air flow and be pretty hard on the turbo. I also know in my experience with compound setups your small turbo will not spool as good as it would without another turbo behind it. I say try a little bit bigger small turbo and that should be able to get the big boy online quicker since there wont be so much restriction on the exhaust side.

The stock turbo is going to spool slower indeed. There's some energie lost in the big turbo and it's basically operating just by gas flow (remote mounted turbos use extra small exhaust turbines, I don't think I need a bigger one). Surge point is something I didn't think about.
The bay is indeed tiny. But I'll get it done Big Grin
Do you have some pictures or a build thread?

Btw I noticed another design flaw. The valves are never going to open because the big turbo can't even build up pressure because the small stock exhaust housing is limiting.

So next thing I'm looking into is just the small turbo feeding the big one. Way more logical but I need to sort out valve opening pressure.
Tito
03-26-2015, 01:33 AM #5

(03-25-2015, 06:21 PM)barrote have u considered a Variable vane turbine and a Kompressor, conected in series...... da da da

so , VNT turbo, intercooler, split the air path in two ways , one to compressor, other to the intake plenum . the passage wich is paralel to the compressor takes the butterfly valve

Been thinking about this too. But having some problems with this.
Space: the 606 fits exactly in the w114 bay. For a electronic sc clutch I need a bigger pulley diameter. In this case a double crank pulley. This isn't going to fit.
Second: vw TSI engines use the same principles. The have a very noticeable power drop when switching from sc to turbo.

(03-25-2015, 06:35 PM)TurboTim I gotta be honest there is no way you will fit any of that under the hood of a W115. I just did a motor swap on one and so much stuff had to be fabbed to make anything work. That engine bay is tiny! I wish you the best of luck and if you got any questions let me know. On the setup you have it will force the big turbo past the surge point and it will stall out the air flow and be pretty hard on the turbo. I also know in my experience with compound setups your small turbo will not spool as good as it would without another turbo behind it. I say try a little bit bigger small turbo and that should be able to get the big boy online quicker since there wont be so much restriction on the exhaust side.

The stock turbo is going to spool slower indeed. There's some energie lost in the big turbo and it's basically operating just by gas flow (remote mounted turbos use extra small exhaust turbines, I don't think I need a bigger one). Surge point is something I didn't think about.
The bay is indeed tiny. But I'll get it done Big Grin
Do you have some pictures or a build thread?

Btw I noticed another design flaw. The valves are never going to open because the big turbo can't even build up pressure because the small stock exhaust housing is limiting.

So next thing I'm looking into is just the small turbo feeding the big one. Way more logical but I need to sort out valve opening pressure.

anths
Naturally-aspirated

03-26-2015, 02:19 AM #6
why not feed the larger turbo into the smaller with external waste gates when the small one spools up the wastgate opens and bypass into the bigger ones...?
anths
03-26-2015, 02:19 AM #6

why not feed the larger turbo into the smaller with external waste gates when the small one spools up the wastgate opens and bypass into the bigger ones...?

barrote
Superturbo

03-26-2015, 05:43 AM #7
i have to say , and sorry for that, exotic ideas wont go far!!! wether u copy whatever engine manufactures have done and it works with anyother snag , or it is just wasted trouble.
good luck ,
regards.

FD,