STD Tuning Brakes W203 270cdi brakes on W124 XXX

W203 270cdi brakes on W124 XXX

W203 270cdi brakes on W124 XXX

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

barrote
Superturbo

03-24-2015, 04:59 PM #1
Hello fine people,
As mensioned above , with a small modification it is possible to fit the 300/88 calipers and double disk found in the 203 family in a w 124, in my case i choosed the 270 version.
It is also possible to fit the w210 320CDI, same modification needed.
modifications are:

changing the position of hose, from a horizontal position to a vertical one , and cut a bit of the cylinder body to travel correctly.
eliminate the horizontal theaded hole , wich can be aconplished by a bolt. thread size is 10mm/1mm
install a 3.5 mm washer in the 19mm bolt wich atach caliper to suspension.

thats it a very good upgrade regarding brakes.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
03-24-2015, 04:59 PM #1

Hello fine people,
As mensioned above , with a small modification it is possible to fit the 300/88 calipers and double disk found in the 203 family in a w 124, in my case i choosed the 270 version.
It is also possible to fit the w210 320CDI, same modification needed.
modifications are:

changing the position of hose, from a horizontal position to a vertical one , and cut a bit of the cylinder body to travel correctly.
eliminate the horizontal theaded hole , wich can be aconplished by a bolt. thread size is 10mm/1mm
install a 3.5 mm washer in the 19mm bolt wich atach caliper to suspension.

thats it a very good upgrade regarding brakes.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

04-10-2015, 05:50 AM #2
Most calipers bolt to most hubs, the problem is that either the caliper or the disc has the wrong offset for the combination, so yo ucan either space the caliper, or easier usually, just get the discs from your particular car that has the correct offset for your bigger caliper, usualy from the bigger engined model car.

Regarding brake hoses, just get hoses made up with a banjo fitting on the caliper end, and add 50mm to the original hose length.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
04-10-2015, 05:50 AM #2

Most calipers bolt to most hubs, the problem is that either the caliper or the disc has the wrong offset for the combination, so yo ucan either space the caliper, or easier usually, just get the discs from your particular car that has the correct offset for your bigger caliper, usualy from the bigger engined model car.

Regarding brake hoses, just get hoses made up with a banjo fitting on the caliper end, and add 50mm to the original hose length.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

barrote
Superturbo

04-23-2015, 11:52 AM #3
he hario,
yep anything goes, but w124 even in the v8 version does not have such as good braking as the 203 model from 270CDI on ,
only the 203 AMG version have better.
the rear is even better to change , only the heat shield is on the way , wich u can resolve with a small hammer Wink
anyhow , it does work is just a minor modification that any tunning used fella can achieve.
regrds

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-23-2015, 11:52 AM #3

he hario,
yep anything goes, but w124 even in the v8 version does not have such as good braking as the 203 model from 270CDI on ,
only the 203 AMG version have better.
the rear is even better to change , only the heat shield is on the way , wich u can resolve with a small hammer Wink
anyhow , it does work is just a minor modification that any tunning used fella can achieve.
regrds

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

04-30-2015, 03:16 AM #4
Well, good to know! I'm currently runing R129 4-pot calipers, but they don't clear W210 7.5x16" steel wheels... But mr TÜV is NOT going to like "washers" behind calipers Big Grin I think a laser cut shim out of good steel is better to convince Herr TÜV.

I'd realy like to use the 7,5x16" wheels, way easyer to mount 205/55 tyres on, it was a fight to get them on 8x16" steel wheels.... 205/55 is cheap as fcuk and very easy to get...

On the other hand I truly hate floating calipers... Big Grin

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
04-30-2015, 03:16 AM #4

Well, good to know! I'm currently runing R129 4-pot calipers, but they don't clear W210 7.5x16" steel wheels... But mr TÜV is NOT going to like "washers" behind calipers Big Grin I think a laser cut shim out of good steel is better to convince Herr TÜV.

I'd realy like to use the 7,5x16" wheels, way easyer to mount 205/55 tyres on, it was a fight to get them on 8x16" steel wheels.... 205/55 is cheap as fcuk and very easy to get...

On the other hand I truly hate floating calipers... Big Grin

barrote
Superturbo

05-01-2015, 10:53 AM #5
whats the problema with TUV, u know that if they inspect that u got to be in the certificate, where i live they do not inspect that they just measure and compare quality of braking. so....
if u really want to upgrade W124 brakes and u got to be inspected by TUV fellas , well ask MB a certificate for a W124 500E and then u have what u need. well if u can afford that.
Maybe u can find in the W203/204/208/210/212 a set of brake disk that does not need spacing, or a wheel hub that u can fit in the w124.
regards.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM #5

whats the problema with TUV, u know that if they inspect that u got to be in the certificate, where i live they do not inspect that they just measure and compare quality of braking. so....
if u really want to upgrade W124 brakes and u got to be inspected by TUV fellas , well ask MB a certificate for a W124 500E and then u have what u need. well if u can afford that.
Maybe u can find in the W203/204/208/210/212 a set of brake disk that does not need spacing, or a wheel hub that u can fit in the w124.
regards.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

05-01-2015, 01:06 PM #6
It's all not that easy Wink 500E and R129 have a LOT more max. load allowed on rear axle than my Coupé has (in paperwork at least). For Mr. TÜV that's a BIG problem! Spacing something (calipers or wheels) = BIG problem is there's no approval or certificate for the part used. Homemade? HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!1111eleven To make R129 brakes legal, I have to make use of complete R129 brake setup; master, calipers & discs front/rear, booster and even brake lines if the split would be different (not in this case, luckily). And then they need to be approved. Which means: handling test. Which means: danger for Mr TÜV engineer. Which equals "expensive". I know it will pass - but my knowledge is stricktly irrelevant...

Same with engine... I need to swap over complete W210 drive train, differential (or same ratio), gearbox, engine, oxidation catalyst, engine management etc. etc. to make it legal... And then aerodynamics & weights, tyre sizes of recepoient & donir need to be as close as possible. If I leave out one of those points - it's worst emissions category and I end up paying over 1300€ taxes per year.

We can get a LOT of stuff made legal, but you have to follow very strict guidelines and rules to make it happen with reasonable expenses... Of course you can cheat your way through a approval with a mechanical pump or different differential and manual gearbox - who knows? Mr. TÜV most robably don't... But - should I run over a nun with kittens and the car gets investigated (likely with serious mods registered to the paperwork) I'm not goin to be happy ever again. So... I like to keep it legally legal. I'm too old, my boy racer days are over. Even if that means I have to do some extra work and accept some limitations. And I'm happy by doing that.

I also need paperwork to make 205/55 tyres on 8" wheels legal - that's a problem. Hence my wish for 7.5" wide steels, they fall within the rules for tyres; 7.5" is max. width for a 205 tyre - end of story (for mr TÜV). I will try W140 steels next, W212, W211 and W210 steels don't clear R129 calipers. Of course I can get the 8x16" steels (R129) approved and registered to the papers. But only with at least 215/55 or 225/55 tyres - which are expensive and much wider than needed.

It's complicated in germany. Many, many things are possible, but hardly ever easy to make legal... Smile And sometimes you get an engineer that's just an asshole or has a bad day and then NOTHING is possible. Nowadays, a TÜV engineer is responsible for all things he approves. "Illegal" mod he passed and I run over a nun and kittens - he's in prison too... Hence many engineers a VERY carefull nowadays!

DiseaselWeasel
05-01-2015, 01:06 PM #6

It's all not that easy Wink 500E and R129 have a LOT more max. load allowed on rear axle than my Coupé has (in paperwork at least). For Mr. TÜV that's a BIG problem! Spacing something (calipers or wheels) = BIG problem is there's no approval or certificate for the part used. Homemade? HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!1111eleven To make R129 brakes legal, I have to make use of complete R129 brake setup; master, calipers & discs front/rear, booster and even brake lines if the split would be different (not in this case, luckily). And then they need to be approved. Which means: handling test. Which means: danger for Mr TÜV engineer. Which equals "expensive". I know it will pass - but my knowledge is stricktly irrelevant...

Same with engine... I need to swap over complete W210 drive train, differential (or same ratio), gearbox, engine, oxidation catalyst, engine management etc. etc. to make it legal... And then aerodynamics & weights, tyre sizes of recepoient & donir need to be as close as possible. If I leave out one of those points - it's worst emissions category and I end up paying over 1300€ taxes per year.

We can get a LOT of stuff made legal, but you have to follow very strict guidelines and rules to make it happen with reasonable expenses... Of course you can cheat your way through a approval with a mechanical pump or different differential and manual gearbox - who knows? Mr. TÜV most robably don't... But - should I run over a nun with kittens and the car gets investigated (likely with serious mods registered to the paperwork) I'm not goin to be happy ever again. So... I like to keep it legally legal. I'm too old, my boy racer days are over. Even if that means I have to do some extra work and accept some limitations. And I'm happy by doing that.

I also need paperwork to make 205/55 tyres on 8" wheels legal - that's a problem. Hence my wish for 7.5" wide steels, they fall within the rules for tyres; 7.5" is max. width for a 205 tyre - end of story (for mr TÜV). I will try W140 steels next, W212, W211 and W210 steels don't clear R129 calipers. Of course I can get the 8x16" steels (R129) approved and registered to the papers. But only with at least 215/55 or 225/55 tyres - which are expensive and much wider than needed.

It's complicated in germany. Many, many things are possible, but hardly ever easy to make legal... Smile And sometimes you get an engineer that's just an asshole or has a bad day and then NOTHING is possible. Nowadays, a TÜV engineer is responsible for all things he approves. "Illegal" mod he passed and I run over a nun and kittens - he's in prison too... Hence many engineers a VERY carefull nowadays!

barrote
Superturbo

05-05-2015, 01:30 PM #7
yep i see your point , me too i intend to convert a 220CE in a STD, and the same problema i have with the engine to chose!!! if i choose the 2.5 N/A i will have to run from police every day and tecnical inspection every year if i turn it to turbodiesel. if i start with the 605 turbo no way i can get MB Portugal to "sell" me the conformity certificate wich i need to aprove the B check. going 606 is the problema with the engine size , 3000cc pay´s a lot of taxes. and the end i have the emissions issue. but that here i can go with a functional EGR and a catalitic filter and thats it. eventhough i have to tune the pump for 30cc max with the turbo blowing , to be below the 150g/km.
anyhow maybe i´ll convence MB to alow me to use a 605.96X, and i go from there.
if i happen to ask u for such a engine, in decent shape how much would that be?
regards

FD,