STD Tuning Engine special tools required to disassemble/reassemble MW pump?

special tools required to disassemble/reassemble MW pump?

special tools required to disassemble/reassemble MW pump?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

xl.617.lx
Junkyard Dog

03-05-2015, 10:44 PM #1
Hi everyone,

Do anyone know what tools are needed to tear down and rebuild a MW pump?  Does Bosch sell the internal parts of the govener(s) seperatly?

Also, where can I get gaskets for the MW pump?  I've pulled my pump 5-6 different times to tune it and I've never replaced the gasket on the back cover  of the governor.  Its never leaked but, I'd like to replace that gasket next time I pull it if they are available?

Ive got any extra MW pump and I want to tear it down all the way to get a better understanding of what everything is doing in there, then reassemble it completely.  I relieze the pump must be calibrated in order to function properly.  Right now I'm not concerned with calibrating it, once I'm able to disassemble/reassemble the entire pump without too much trouble I'll start collecting pieces for a test bench.  Once I have working test bench I'll start trying to calibrate them.  Mechanical diesel injection pumps fascinate me and I'm just doing this for fun/hobby.  I relieze the complexities of an IP and may never get the the point where I can build my own, but I'm going to start very small and try to build from there.  Maybe if I'm lucky in 10-20 years I might reach my goal.

So I guess the first step is to read as much as possible and start gather the tools needed.  

Anyways, sorry for such a long boring post, if anyone knows what tools are needed to service a MW pump and where they sell them that would be a great help to me.

Thanks guys!
xl.617.lx
03-05-2015, 10:44 PM #1

Hi everyone,

Do anyone know what tools are needed to tear down and rebuild a MW pump?  Does Bosch sell the internal parts of the govener(s) seperatly?

Also, where can I get gaskets for the MW pump?  I've pulled my pump 5-6 different times to tune it and I've never replaced the gasket on the back cover  of the governor.  Its never leaked but, I'd like to replace that gasket next time I pull it if they are available?

Ive got any extra MW pump and I want to tear it down all the way to get a better understanding of what everything is doing in there, then reassemble it completely.  I relieze the pump must be calibrated in order to function properly.  Right now I'm not concerned with calibrating it, once I'm able to disassemble/reassemble the entire pump without too much trouble I'll start collecting pieces for a test bench.  Once I have working test bench I'll start trying to calibrate them.  Mechanical diesel injection pumps fascinate me and I'm just doing this for fun/hobby.  I relieze the complexities of an IP and may never get the the point where I can build my own, but I'm going to start very small and try to build from there.  Maybe if I'm lucky in 10-20 years I might reach my goal.

So I guess the first step is to read as much as possible and start gather the tools needed.  

Anyways, sorry for such a long boring post, if anyone knows what tools are needed to service a MW pump and where they sell them that would be a great help to me.

Thanks guys!

OM616
10mm MW

03-07-2015, 03:40 PM #2
There are special tappet holders that are required to hold all the lifters up so the cam can be removed. Then you need to make an arbor press of sorts to compress the lifter springs.

There is a special puller to remove the plugs that need to be removed so you can insert the tappet holders.

Each tappet holder will hold 2 lifters, so if you have a 5 cylinder IP, then you will need 3 tappet holders.

The spring compressor that Bosch uses has the ability to rotate the roller to allow the plunger to engage with the lifter.

There are also some miscellaneous bearing pullers as well...

Parts are available from Bosch. 

I do not mean to sound like a snotty prick that knows it all, (not the case at all, knowledge wise any way lol), BUT.... I recommend that you do a lot more research into this before you start to tare into one. If you have a solid foundation, you will be able to learn from mistakes, but if you do not know what you are doing in the first place, you will not realize you made a mistake, and that will cause problems and unnecessary frustration later. I say this after fixing several pumps that others with your intenchons "worked on". I also say this knowing that it will not deter you in the least, but it is just my 2 cents worth lol Big Grin

All the information you need is out there, and part of the lesson is the process of finding it. 
OM616
03-07-2015, 03:40 PM #2

There are special tappet holders that are required to hold all the lifters up so the cam can be removed. Then you need to make an arbor press of sorts to compress the lifter springs.

There is a special puller to remove the plugs that need to be removed so you can insert the tappet holders.

Each tappet holder will hold 2 lifters, so if you have a 5 cylinder IP, then you will need 3 tappet holders.

The spring compressor that Bosch uses has the ability to rotate the roller to allow the plunger to engage with the lifter.

There are also some miscellaneous bearing pullers as well...

Parts are available from Bosch. 

I do not mean to sound like a snotty prick that knows it all, (not the case at all, knowledge wise any way lol), BUT.... I recommend that you do a lot more research into this before you start to tare into one. If you have a solid foundation, you will be able to learn from mistakes, but if you do not know what you are doing in the first place, you will not realize you made a mistake, and that will cause problems and unnecessary frustration later. I say this after fixing several pumps that others with your intenchons "worked on". I also say this knowing that it will not deter you in the least, but it is just my 2 cents worth lol Big Grin

All the information you need is out there, and part of the lesson is the process of finding it. 

barrote
Superturbo

03-07-2015, 05:33 PM #3
hehe , right up , a stand wit u xl617. today i dismanted a M and reasembled it again , with much more than a hammer and a chisel...Smile
well trully u dont need much more. a friend owns a bench test. sincronisation will be done there.
luck with the bench tester, i too i´m after a solution just to turn the pump, fine tunning will be dificult to achieve with a home made device.
any how MW pumps with RW , or RQ governors are easy compared to the rsf.
good luck .

FD,