STD Tuning Drivetrain Bling Factory button flywheel

Bling Factory button flywheel

Bling Factory button flywheel

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Matej
GT2256V

02-18-2015, 01:02 AM #1
Hello gentlemen,
Is anyone on here using the Bling Factory button flywheel setup?

[Image: Flywheel-Mercedes-Benz-OM606-button.JPG]

I am about to purchase it, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone already has experience with it.
First of all, does it work with any 717 manual transmission, or should it only be used with transmissions made for a single-mass clutch setup?
Second, what size fllywheel bolts should be used? I would like to use the closest length ARP flywheels bolts that I can find in the correct thread pitch.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Irony.cc
Matej
02-18-2015, 01:02 AM #1

Hello gentlemen,
Is anyone on here using the Bling Factory button flywheel setup?

[Image: Flywheel-Mercedes-Benz-OM606-button.JPG]

I am about to purchase it, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone already has experience with it.
First of all, does it work with any 717 manual transmission, or should it only be used with transmissions made for a single-mass clutch setup?
Second, what size fllywheel bolts should be used? I would like to use the closest length ARP flywheels bolts that I can find in the correct thread pitch.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Irony.cc

Duncansport
Holset

02-18-2015, 09:15 AM #2
That thing is a beauty. Wish i had know about this a while back... Confused
Duncansport
02-18-2015, 09:15 AM #2

That thing is a beauty. Wish i had know about this a while back... Confused

raysorenson
Superturbo

02-18-2015, 10:30 AM #3
Doesn't this bolt up to a flexplate? That's the only way I can see how a starter ring can be incorporated. So in that case, dual and single mass is irrelevant except that a bushing would have to be fabricated to extend the pilot beyond the crank if you're using a dual mass trans.

My personal experience with the other blingfactory flywheel is that it's a poorly thought out product that probably was not even tested before they started selling it.
raysorenson
02-18-2015, 10:30 AM #3

Doesn't this bolt up to a flexplate? That's the only way I can see how a starter ring can be incorporated. So in that case, dual and single mass is irrelevant except that a bushing would have to be fabricated to extend the pilot beyond the crank if you're using a dual mass trans.

My personal experience with the other blingfactory flywheel is that it's a poorly thought out product that probably was not even tested before they started selling it.

F.R.A.S
Holset

02-18-2015, 11:25 AM #4
What is this??? What PP is it made for? Only single mass gearboxes for sure.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
02-18-2015, 11:25 AM #4

What is this??? What PP is it made for? Only single mass gearboxes for sure.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

02-18-2015, 01:02 PM #5
My understanding is that we could use the auto flex plate for the starter ring and nascar style 5.5" multi disc pressure plates with this style flywheel. Quartermaster is the most used around here.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project
CRD4x4
02-18-2015, 01:02 PM #5

My understanding is that we could use the auto flex plate for the starter ring and nascar style 5.5" multi disc pressure plates with this style flywheel. Quartermaster is the most used around here.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project

Matej
GT2256V

02-18-2015, 04:04 PM #6
(02-18-2015, 10:30 AM)raysorenson Doesn't this bolt up to a flexplate? That's the only way I can see how a starter ring can be incorporated. So in that case, dual and single mass is irrelevant except that a bushing would have to be fabricated to extend the pilot beyond the crank if you're using a dual mass trans.

Yes, it bolts up to the factory flex plate, and can be used with any button clutch setup, such as this:
http://www.powertraintech.com

Which flywheel did you use, and what were the issues with it, if I may ask?

(02-18-2015, 11:25 AM)F.R.A.S What is this??? What PP is it made for? Only single mass gearboxes for sure.
I was hoping to be able to use with a later model gearbox, in a twin disc configuration.

Does the OM606 use a pilot bushing that the tip of the transmission shaft slips into? What are the actual differences between the single and dual-mass gearboxes?

Irony.cc
Matej
02-18-2015, 04:04 PM #6

(02-18-2015, 10:30 AM)raysorenson Doesn't this bolt up to a flexplate? That's the only way I can see how a starter ring can be incorporated. So in that case, dual and single mass is irrelevant except that a bushing would have to be fabricated to extend the pilot beyond the crank if you're using a dual mass trans.

Yes, it bolts up to the factory flex plate, and can be used with any button clutch setup, such as this:
http://www.powertraintech.com

Which flywheel did you use, and what were the issues with it, if I may ask?

(02-18-2015, 11:25 AM)F.R.A.S What is this??? What PP is it made for? Only single mass gearboxes for sure.
I was hoping to be able to use with a later model gearbox, in a twin disc configuration.

Does the OM606 use a pilot bushing that the tip of the transmission shaft slips into? What are the actual differences between the single and dual-mass gearboxes?

Irony.cc

hents99
GT2256V

02-18-2015, 04:20 PM #7
I can offer you flywheel for 7.25/184mm clutch. Original starter gear will fit on.

[Image: DSC_3752.jpg]
hents99
02-18-2015, 04:20 PM #7

I can offer you flywheel for 7.25/184mm clutch. Original starter gear will fit on.

[Image: DSC_3752.jpg]

raysorenson
Superturbo

02-18-2015, 04:26 PM #8
I went with sachs 765. The flywheel will accommodate a 7.25" tilton, Sachs 618 and the 765.

The flywheel has the hole in it for a single mass trans input shaft.

The friction surface is farther away from the block than a single mass flywheel. This results in the splines of the clutch disc being pushed farther towards the trans and reduces the spline contact area with the input shaft. To counter this, my clutch disc is currently installed backwards to move the splines closer to the engine.

Another issue with the taller friction surface is that the pressure plate fingers are too close to the trans. I have shortened the slave cylinder push rod and the throwout arm pivot ball stud. I've also clearanced the back side of the throwout arm so that it can rest closer to the trans and had .07" cut off the flywheel. This worked for a while, but as the clutch wears,  PP fingers rise, taking up all the clearance.

The bolt circle diameter of the 765 pressure plate requires that the threads for the bolts be cut into both the flywheel and the starter ring. I assume that Blingfactory made the friction surface so tall to avoid this entirely and have the threads for the pressure plate bolts stop at the starter ring.  This solution does not leave many threads for the pressure plate bolts. If you like to over torque, you'll pull out the threads.

If I had known this flywheel was going to be this impossibly stupid, I would have just cut down my old flywheel and ended up with a far better product and a fatter wallet.
raysorenson
02-18-2015, 04:26 PM #8

I went with sachs 765. The flywheel will accommodate a 7.25" tilton, Sachs 618 and the 765.

The flywheel has the hole in it for a single mass trans input shaft.

The friction surface is farther away from the block than a single mass flywheel. This results in the splines of the clutch disc being pushed farther towards the trans and reduces the spline contact area with the input shaft. To counter this, my clutch disc is currently installed backwards to move the splines closer to the engine.

Another issue with the taller friction surface is that the pressure plate fingers are too close to the trans. I have shortened the slave cylinder push rod and the throwout arm pivot ball stud. I've also clearanced the back side of the throwout arm so that it can rest closer to the trans and had .07" cut off the flywheel. This worked for a while, but as the clutch wears,  PP fingers rise, taking up all the clearance.

The bolt circle diameter of the 765 pressure plate requires that the threads for the bolts be cut into both the flywheel and the starter ring. I assume that Blingfactory made the friction surface so tall to avoid this entirely and have the threads for the pressure plate bolts stop at the starter ring.  This solution does not leave many threads for the pressure plate bolts. If you like to over torque, you'll pull out the threads.

If I had known this flywheel was going to be this impossibly stupid, I would have just cut down my old flywheel and ended up with a far better product and a fatter wallet.

F.R.A.S
Holset

02-20-2015, 11:02 AM #9
For me there is no substitute for a modified stock FW, then you know what you are getting. With that said I can vouch for hents99 here his products are as good as they look and he's legit.

BUT there are people out there copying his images so ONLY deal with hents99 directly.

F.R.A.S
02-20-2015, 11:02 AM #9

For me there is no substitute for a modified stock FW, then you know what you are getting. With that said I can vouch for hents99 here his products are as good as they look and he's legit.

BUT there are people out there copying his images so ONLY deal with hents99 directly.

raysorenson
Superturbo

02-20-2015, 02:30 PM #10
I think I'm going to turn my 16v flywheel down on a brake lathe then balance it on a wheel balance machine. If there's enough metal on the Blingfactory unit, I'll do the same to it.
raysorenson
02-20-2015, 02:30 PM #10

I think I'm going to turn my 16v flywheel down on a brake lathe then balance it on a wheel balance machine. If there's enough metal on the Blingfactory unit, I'll do the same to it.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average