STD Tuning Engine Help on "resetting" MW pump?

Help on "resetting" MW pump?

Help on "resetting" MW pump?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

xl.617.lx
Junkyard Dog

02-13-2015, 03:51 PM #1
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for years but this is my first post.  I've got an 83 300d and a real nice 84 300cd awaiting an engine rebuild.

I'm currently working on the 83 300d, I've pulled the IP in the past and never had any problems.  But this time I didn't follow my checklist and I made a few errors. Now I don't know where the pump is in its cycyle and I'm struggling to figure out how to "reset" it to the proper position internally in order to reinstall and drip time.  I've been digging on google and found the Mercedes tool (601 589 05 21 00) that locks the IP can @ 15° atdc and one of the sights that sells it says it works for the 617.  Its not clear to me if it works for both the MW pump and the M pump?  If I'm not mistaken it does work for the M pump, but does it work for the MW pump?  I've got plug/bolt removed from the side of my pump and everything looks like it should but when turning the pump cam I never see the timing mark/slot that's used to lock the can with the Mercedes tool.  

Does anyone know if the Mercedes tool number 601 589 05 21 00 will work with a MW pump off an 83 300d?  

Also just to double check; when I'm standing in front on the car looking at the windshield which way should I be turning the crank when adjusting the timing?

I'm sorry I wasn't able to post pictures of the tool I'm talking about, its been years since I've posted on a forum and forgot exactly how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any replies!!
xl.617.lx
02-13-2015, 03:51 PM #1

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for years but this is my first post.  I've got an 83 300d and a real nice 84 300cd awaiting an engine rebuild.

I'm currently working on the 83 300d, I've pulled the IP in the past and never had any problems.  But this time I didn't follow my checklist and I made a few errors. Now I don't know where the pump is in its cycyle and I'm struggling to figure out how to "reset" it to the proper position internally in order to reinstall and drip time.  I've been digging on google and found the Mercedes tool (601 589 05 21 00) that locks the IP can @ 15° atdc and one of the sights that sells it says it works for the 617.  Its not clear to me if it works for both the MW pump and the M pump?  If I'm not mistaken it does work for the M pump, but does it work for the MW pump?  I've got plug/bolt removed from the side of my pump and everything looks like it should but when turning the pump cam I never see the timing mark/slot that's used to lock the can with the Mercedes tool.  

Does anyone know if the Mercedes tool number 601 589 05 21 00 will work with a MW pump off an 83 300d?  

Also just to double check; when I'm standing in front on the car looking at the windshield which way should I be turning the crank when adjusting the timing?

I'm sorry I wasn't able to post pictures of the tool I'm talking about, its been years since I've posted on a forum and forgot exactly how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

02-13-2015, 04:47 PM #2
Hope this helps.
This post was last modified: 02-13-2015, 04:55 PM by Torkey.
Attached Files
Image(s)

79 300CD
82 300SD
Dirty Little Freaks Racing
Torkey
02-13-2015, 04:47 PM #2

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
Image(s)

79 300CD
82 300SD

xl.617.lx
Junkyard Dog

02-13-2015, 05:39 PM #3
This is exactly what I needed, one thousand "thanks you's" kind Sir!!!!!!!

The mark on the IP is much smaller then I thought it would be, I had actually cleaned that part of the IP sergicaly and looked for the mark but I never saw it. I must have been asleep at the wheel in the shop when I was looking for the mark.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post that picure!!!!!!!!!!!
xl.617.lx
02-13-2015, 05:39 PM #3

This is exactly what I needed, one thousand "thanks you's" kind Sir!!!!!!!

The mark on the IP is much smaller then I thought it would be, I had actually cleaned that part of the IP sergicaly and looked for the mark but I never saw it. I must have been asleep at the wheel in the shop when I was looking for the mark.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post that picure!!!!!!!!!!!

xl.617.lx
Junkyard Dog

02-13-2015, 05:53 PM #4
Also just to clarify since I seem to have forgotten;

When im standing in front of the car, looking toward the windshield which way should I be turning the crank when setting the engine to desired timming prior to reinstalling the pump?

Thanks for the help (!!!)
xl.617.lx
02-13-2015, 05:53 PM #4

Also just to clarify since I seem to have forgotten;

When im standing in front of the car, looking toward the windshield which way should I be turning the crank when setting the engine to desired timming prior to reinstalling the pump?

Thanks for the help (!!!)

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

02-13-2015, 06:06 PM #5
Only turn the engine clockwise.

79 300CD
82 300SD
Torkey
02-13-2015, 06:06 PM #5

Only turn the engine clockwise.

79 300CD
82 300SD

xl.617.lx
Junkyard Dog

02-13-2015, 06:19 PM #6
(02-13-2015, 06:06 PM)Torkey Only turn the engine clockwise.

F@@@@@@ck, I think I've been turning it the wrong way. Everything seemed 'normal' and there was no binding.   F@ck I'm sweating it big time now.  I'm going to go turn it clockwise a few full turns and pray there is no funny business, then install the IP, drip time, and if I'm really luck start the engine.  

Anyways, your the man Torkey!  Next time your in the bay area let me know and I'll make your taking care of.  Thanks again brother!!!
xl.617.lx
02-13-2015, 06:19 PM #6

(02-13-2015, 06:06 PM)Torkey Only turn the engine clockwise.

F@@@@@@ck, I think I've been turning it the wrong way. Everything seemed 'normal' and there was no binding.   F@ck I'm sweating it big time now.  I'm going to go turn it clockwise a few full turns and pray there is no funny business, then install the IP, drip time, and if I'm really luck start the engine.  

Anyways, your the man Torkey!  Next time your in the bay area let me know and I'll make your taking care of.  Thanks again brother!!!

[486]
TA 0301

02-13-2015, 08:15 PM #7
(02-13-2015, 06:19 PM)xl.617.lx F@@@@@@ck, I think I've been turning it the wrong way. Everything seemed 'normal' and there was no binding.   F@ck I'm sweating it big time now.  I'm going to go turn it clockwise a few full turns and pray there is no funny business, then install the IP, drip time, and if I'm really luck start the engine.

Just for stackup of clearances in the timing chain and all that shit, won't hurt anything to turn it the other way, but your timing won't be dead nuts on the number.
[486]
02-13-2015, 08:15 PM #7

(02-13-2015, 06:19 PM)xl.617.lx F@@@@@@ck, I think I've been turning it the wrong way. Everything seemed 'normal' and there was no binding.   F@ck I'm sweating it big time now.  I'm going to go turn it clockwise a few full turns and pray there is no funny business, then install the IP, drip time, and if I'm really luck start the engine.

Just for stackup of clearances in the timing chain and all that shit, won't hurt anything to turn it the other way, but your timing won't be dead nuts on the number.

xl.617.lx
Junkyard Dog

02-14-2015, 01:50 AM #8
Everything went back together smoothly, drip timing the IP took about thirty seconds. It took a while to get it to fire up but when it did I knew everything was good to go. I've got the pump dialed pretty good, almost perfect.
xl.617.lx
02-14-2015, 01:50 AM #8

Everything went back together smoothly, drip timing the IP took about thirty seconds. It took a while to get it to fire up but when it did I knew everything was good to go. I've got the pump dialed pretty good, almost perfect.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average