STD Maintenance General Instrument Cluster Ground Issues W123

Instrument Cluster Ground Issues W123

Instrument Cluster Ground Issues W123

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mo1971fordcrew
Glug Glug Glug

02-11-2015, 03:11 PM #1
While I was repairing my broken odometer (pot metal gear slippage), I noticed the ground prong that connects the oil/fuel/temp gauge portion to the rest of the cluster was broken. This might explain why my glow plug light works sometimes? I think those lights in that portion of the cluster ground to the metal housing. Soldered it up and seems to work fine now. I don't know if anyone has had this experience, but I figured I'd share as this may be an overlooked aspect. On newer models, would this explain a jumpy tach or do those have separate grounds?

Here it is after re-soldered    
Here is the backside of the cluster with the tab touching the ground (no screw installed yet)    

1980 Mercedes 300TD - Engine: 1983 OM617, W126 rear "blue" springs, turbo front springs, ALDA and rack limiter removed, boost @ 12psi. 2.5 inch exhaust off 6.9 diesel, straight pipe. Manual climate control. 2.88 diff.
mo1971fordcrew
02-11-2015, 03:11 PM #1

While I was repairing my broken odometer (pot metal gear slippage), I noticed the ground prong that connects the oil/fuel/temp gauge portion to the rest of the cluster was broken. This might explain why my glow plug light works sometimes? I think those lights in that portion of the cluster ground to the metal housing. Soldered it up and seems to work fine now. I don't know if anyone has had this experience, but I figured I'd share as this may be an overlooked aspect. On newer models, would this explain a jumpy tach or do those have separate grounds?

Here it is after re-soldered    
Here is the backside of the cluster with the tab touching the ground (no screw installed yet)    

1980 Mercedes 300TD - Engine: 1983 OM617, W126 rear "blue" springs, turbo front springs, ALDA and rack limiter removed, boost @ 12psi. 2.5 inch exhaust off 6.9 diesel, straight pipe. Manual climate control. 2.88 diff.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average