STD Maintenance General '82 300D Turbo - My Very First Diesel!

'82 300D Turbo - My Very First Diesel!

'82 300D Turbo - My Very First Diesel!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

02-05-2015, 04:00 PM #1
I bought my first diesel car, and my first MBZ yesterday.
Car was practically free, and worth every penny...I do mean it needs everything.

The good news is it's a runner/driver. Solid, straight body, with "meh, okay" paint, and blown out interior. Most things work....save for three of the power windows, sunroof and high beams. Odo shows about 250k, but allegedly, the cluster was swapped, and the vehicle could have between 400-500k on it.

Turbo is BLOWN....makes a harsh, distinct noise, when you try to boost. I'm an old Volvo guy, so plan is to make use of a used Volvo TD04 series turbo, with a custom downpipe.

I discovered, however, that the PCV system is incorporated to the air cleaner....how do I overcome oil drain tube riddle? Or am I best to reuse the MBZ air cleaner assembly?

Trying to find a logical way to install a simple Intercooler, without too much cutting, welding or removal of AC system....any advice?

Goal is not much more than a good TD04 turbo, with 12-14psi, probably will install a boost gauge & EGT dial first. I want the intercooler to reduce stress on the motor....not trying to win any HP contests here.

Where do I begin? I'll probably start with basics like oil change, valve adjustment, and deleting the LoveCraft Biofuels system.

Where do I begin?
Mylesofsmyles
02-05-2015, 04:00 PM #1

I bought my first diesel car, and my first MBZ yesterday.
Car was practically free, and worth every penny...I do mean it needs everything.

The good news is it's a runner/driver. Solid, straight body, with "meh, okay" paint, and blown out interior. Most things work....save for three of the power windows, sunroof and high beams. Odo shows about 250k, but allegedly, the cluster was swapped, and the vehicle could have between 400-500k on it.

Turbo is BLOWN....makes a harsh, distinct noise, when you try to boost. I'm an old Volvo guy, so plan is to make use of a used Volvo TD04 series turbo, with a custom downpipe.

I discovered, however, that the PCV system is incorporated to the air cleaner....how do I overcome oil drain tube riddle? Or am I best to reuse the MBZ air cleaner assembly?

Trying to find a logical way to install a simple Intercooler, without too much cutting, welding or removal of AC system....any advice?

Goal is not much more than a good TD04 turbo, with 12-14psi, probably will install a boost gauge & EGT dial first. I want the intercooler to reduce stress on the motor....not trying to win any HP contests here.

Where do I begin? I'll probably start with basics like oil change, valve adjustment, and deleting the LoveCraft Biofuels system.

Where do I begin?

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

02-05-2015, 04:20 PM #2
Welcome! That being said, I'd start with the things you mentioned like oil change, valve adjustment, and also good idea to check injection timing (you can search for the procedure)
EGT and boost gauges are always a good idea and most people on here have them
As for the turbo, in proper working condition the stock turbos make around 8-9psi but are good for about 12-14 if you get a manual boost controller
The intercooler stuff you can search on here and check the intercooler thread in the engine section for ideas
This post was last modified: 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM by sassparilla_kid.

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
02-05-2015, 04:20 PM #2

Welcome! That being said, I'd start with the things you mentioned like oil change, valve adjustment, and also good idea to check injection timing (you can search for the procedure)
EGT and boost gauges are always a good idea and most people on here have them
As for the turbo, in proper working condition the stock turbos make around 8-9psi but are good for about 12-14 if you get a manual boost controller
The intercooler stuff you can search on here and check the intercooler thread in the engine section for ideas

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

02-05-2015, 08:39 PM #3
Cool! Thanks for the help...I'll check out the intercooler thread.
Got it registered today, so I'm eager to take the plunge.

Car drove remarkably well today, to the DMV...I'm going to dive in on the basics, soon. I should order a valve cover gasket, first, for valve adjustment. I know a old time Benz mechanic here, so maybe I can persuade him to check injection timing. I want to get it up in the air, and check everything out....bleed the brakes, fluids and such.

I know I've got a oil leak, and I think it's the PCV oil drain....is that just a o-ring down there, by the block?
Mylesofsmyles
02-05-2015, 08:39 PM #3

Cool! Thanks for the help...I'll check out the intercooler thread.
Got it registered today, so I'm eager to take the plunge.

Car drove remarkably well today, to the DMV...I'm going to dive in on the basics, soon. I should order a valve cover gasket, first, for valve adjustment. I know a old time Benz mechanic here, so maybe I can persuade him to check injection timing. I want to get it up in the air, and check everything out....bleed the brakes, fluids and such.

I know I've got a oil leak, and I think it's the PCV oil drain....is that just a o-ring down there, by the block?

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

02-06-2015, 10:55 PM #4
Drove it today...cool car! Needs a lot of work, however...

[Image: IMG_0619.JPG]
This post was last modified: 02-06-2015, 10:55 PM by Mylesofsmyles.

--  '82 300D  --
Mylesofsmyles
02-06-2015, 10:55 PM #4

Drove it today...cool car! Needs a lot of work, however...

[Image: IMG_0619.JPG]

--  '82 300D  --

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average