STD Tuning Engine 606 high gets? Why so?

606 high gets? Why so?

606 high gets? Why so?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

elvis100
K26-2

02-05-2015, 06:35 AM #1
I've only posted here a few times so please forgive the long question 1st time out. My G's on the road with its 606 turbo engine. Very pleased so far. Quite a long job as I had no diesel experience to date other than blowing up a 603! Now the exhaust is fitted power is up and pretty smooth. Anyway here's what I have : stock m pump with 5.5elements. Max screw rpm at max 5500. It won't rev that high on the road. Fuel turned up about 1.5 turns. Any higher and the idles not good. Torque control more or less standard. Idle is fine at 7-800rpm. Lower and it stalls too easily. Turbo is stock but has a 14psi pressure actuator and a boost control valve spring. I'm Getting 17-18psi boost maybe more. It's turned down to about 14 now. Running front bumper mounted intercooler like factory G300. It had an auto box and changes at 4000 rpm as it should on full throttle. Getting high egt about 1350 on full throttle but not sure if it's to do with the Alda setting, boost pressure or timing. Alda turned 4 turns so is making smoke at full throttle on the driveway. Not sure. What pump timing is set at now. I installed it at 13.5-14 deg according to the pulley marks and have moved it towards the block by 4 turns of the screw. advanced? Not sure what it's set at now. It runs great but too hot egt I think. My guess is to turn the boost back up. I will post some more project photos if I get time. D
elvis100
02-05-2015, 06:35 AM #1

I've only posted here a few times so please forgive the long question 1st time out. My G's on the road with its 606 turbo engine. Very pleased so far. Quite a long job as I had no diesel experience to date other than blowing up a 603! Now the exhaust is fitted power is up and pretty smooth. Anyway here's what I have : stock m pump with 5.5elements. Max screw rpm at max 5500. It won't rev that high on the road. Fuel turned up about 1.5 turns. Any higher and the idles not good. Torque control more or less standard. Idle is fine at 7-800rpm. Lower and it stalls too easily. Turbo is stock but has a 14psi pressure actuator and a boost control valve spring. I'm Getting 17-18psi boost maybe more. It's turned down to about 14 now. Running front bumper mounted intercooler like factory G300. It had an auto box and changes at 4000 rpm as it should on full throttle. Getting high egt about 1350 on full throttle but not sure if it's to do with the Alda setting, boost pressure or timing. Alda turned 4 turns so is making smoke at full throttle on the driveway. Not sure. What pump timing is set at now. I installed it at 13.5-14 deg according to the pulley marks and have moved it towards the block by 4 turns of the screw. advanced? Not sure what it's set at now. It runs great but too hot egt I think. My guess is to turn the boost back up. I will post some more project photos if I get time. D

EvoPeter
GT2256V

02-05-2015, 09:57 AM #2
More boost = lower EGT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox
EvoPeter
02-05-2015, 09:57 AM #2

More boost = lower EGT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

02-05-2015, 10:05 AM #3
606 gets high..? lol

Factory boost is 19psi, if turbo spools and you still get black smoke then back off the fuelling, can't run much more boost than 19 on that KKK micro turbo.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
02-05-2015, 10:05 AM #3

606 gets high..? lol

Factory boost is 19psi, if turbo spools and you still get black smoke then back off the fuelling, can't run much more boost than 19 on that KKK micro turbo.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Petar
7.5mm M pump

02-05-2015, 12:16 PM #4
Long injection duration from 5,5mm elements is also a factor to consider.
Petar
02-05-2015, 12:16 PM #4

Long injection duration from 5,5mm elements is also a factor to consider.

barrote
Superturbo

02-05-2015, 02:47 PM #5
yep, the high EGT is probably related with timming, and exaust flow. original 606 turbo is too small for that engine.
For timming, the 14º mark is just a IP installation mark. to get the timming correct, u must find the light device, (the stroboscopic light device) and the GOOD timming is from 16º to 18,5º depending on what u want, high low tq or high rpm.
the thing is that , if u just increase fuel in a diesel engine u will experience smoke and a small increase in tq and probably u going to melt it.
BTW alda screw does not play nothing special in fueling. the alda itself does (alda limits MAX Rack travel until boost is present). unscrew it from the governor and u will understand what i´m talking about.

the rest just scream and we´ll se if it possible to help u.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-05-2015, 02:47 PM #5

yep, the high EGT is probably related with timming, and exaust flow. original 606 turbo is too small for that engine.
For timming, the 14º mark is just a IP installation mark. to get the timming correct, u must find the light device, (the stroboscopic light device) and the GOOD timming is from 16º to 18,5º depending on what u want, high low tq or high rpm.
the thing is that , if u just increase fuel in a diesel engine u will experience smoke and a small increase in tq and probably u going to melt it.
BTW alda screw does not play nothing special in fueling. the alda itself does (alda limits MAX Rack travel until boost is present). unscrew it from the governor and u will understand what i´m talking about.

the rest just scream and we´ll se if it possible to help u.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

MrHope
GT2256V

02-05-2015, 03:43 PM #6
Mayby would be better with bigger elements.

W460 300GD with om605 Turbo 6mm pump Build Thread!
W124 300D 1985 (daily driver)
MrHope
02-05-2015, 03:43 PM #6

Mayby would be better with bigger elements.

W460 300GD with om605 Turbo 6mm pump Build Thread!
W124 300D 1985 (daily driver)

elvis100
K26-2

02-05-2015, 04:31 PM #7
Thanks. Here's what i did today... experimented with the boost cntroller on the road. Set to max boost, Got too hot and boostup to about 17psi. set it somewhat lower and making about 14psi. On the road and full throtle temsp are not too bad. Say 1350F at most. I briefly got up to 60 and temp was even lower at part throttle and around 1050F. I'd like to try the timing light. i have one for a petrol car but what do i need to look for to work on a diesel? Can i use the one I have clamped on the injection line? I read somewhere that it works. I'm not looking for mega revs or even mega power. Just want a smooth runner that can pull the G. It does really really well at the moment.
"if turbo spools and you still get black smoke then back off the fuelling". Thats what i thought. So if i turn down the ALda bit it wont smoke as much at the lower rpms when taking off hard from a standstill and this will lower the temps some more? What would the next step up in turbo be? I'm all mechanical now so no electronic ones for me. I'm pure old school baby.
elvis100
02-05-2015, 04:31 PM #7

Thanks. Here's what i did today... experimented with the boost cntroller on the road. Set to max boost, Got too hot and boostup to about 17psi. set it somewhat lower and making about 14psi. On the road and full throtle temsp are not too bad. Say 1350F at most. I briefly got up to 60 and temp was even lower at part throttle and around 1050F. I'd like to try the timing light. i have one for a petrol car but what do i need to look for to work on a diesel? Can i use the one I have clamped on the injection line? I read somewhere that it works. I'm not looking for mega revs or even mega power. Just want a smooth runner that can pull the G. It does really really well at the moment.
"if turbo spools and you still get black smoke then back off the fuelling". Thats what i thought. So if i turn down the ALda bit it wont smoke as much at the lower rpms when taking off hard from a standstill and this will lower the temps some more? What would the next step up in turbo be? I'm all mechanical now so no electronic ones for me. I'm pure old school baby.

elvis100
K26-2

02-05-2015, 07:26 PM #8
Also can anyone tell me if moving the pump towards the block head advances or retards the timing? If i installed it at 14 degrees and its as far away from the block as possible but still within the 'slots' does moving it towards the block allow me to get towards 16 degrees or take me to 12 degrees? I installed it like this to clear the linkages from the pipes and wiring for sensors and glow plugs.
I have turned the adjuster 4 revolution which has moved it towards the block. There is a bout 5mm of clearance before it starts touching anything on the head.
D
elvis100
02-05-2015, 07:26 PM #8

Also can anyone tell me if moving the pump towards the block head advances or retards the timing? If i installed it at 14 degrees and its as far away from the block as possible but still within the 'slots' does moving it towards the block allow me to get towards 16 degrees or take me to 12 degrees? I installed it like this to clear the linkages from the pipes and wiring for sensors and glow plugs.
I have turned the adjuster 4 revolution which has moved it towards the block. There is a bout 5mm of clearance before it starts touching anything on the head.
D

elvis100
K26-2

02-06-2015, 01:00 PM #9
D
elvis100
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM #9

D

barrote
Superturbo

02-06-2015, 03:34 PM #10
hello,
1- the light device from gas car will work in your diesel car.
plug power from batery, intall the probe at the injector head in the line, u must have a probe for that diameter of line( probe will pick up injector opening) u should read OT at crank shaft. when u have the OT Reading check how many degrees, moving the pump away from the block will reduce degrees, so to say retard timing. MB say 16º good is 18º (every engine is one engine ) , advance the timing will produce more TQ in low revs.
2- the first thing u do in a diesel tunning is , increase fuel, after exaust pipe, after increase boost, after use of BIG intercooler.
in a MB tuning , first u change pump elements at least for 6mm, then u can increase fuel. after change turbo so that u can increase boost.
when u are able of having 2BAR boost , and 100cc IP, u can start thinking of head job, exaust job, and many other "mickey mouse" things.
for a 606, i would have a set of GT 20thies or 2 GT2253V, one GT2359V, or GT2559V is a bit small.
stock turbo wont work is too small, maybe 2 stock ones.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-06-2015, 03:34 PM #10

hello,
1- the light device from gas car will work in your diesel car.
plug power from batery, intall the probe at the injector head in the line, u must have a probe for that diameter of line( probe will pick up injector opening) u should read OT at crank shaft. when u have the OT Reading check how many degrees, moving the pump away from the block will reduce degrees, so to say retard timing. MB say 16º good is 18º (every engine is one engine ) , advance the timing will produce more TQ in low revs.
2- the first thing u do in a diesel tunning is , increase fuel, after exaust pipe, after increase boost, after use of BIG intercooler.
in a MB tuning , first u change pump elements at least for 6mm, then u can increase fuel. after change turbo so that u can increase boost.
when u are able of having 2BAR boost , and 100cc IP, u can start thinking of head job, exaust job, and many other "mickey mouse" things.
for a 606, i would have a set of GT 20thies or 2 GT2253V, one GT2359V, or GT2559V is a bit small.
stock turbo wont work is too small, maybe 2 stock ones.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

elvis100
K26-2

02-06-2015, 05:33 PM #11
Thanks. I'll try the timing. I must be running at about 15 degrees now? What is the amount of adjustment range for the pump? 2 degrees 3 degrees? You say 2 bar? Aren't pistons starting to melt and things getting very hot in a std. 606 at this point? If I get good boost of say 15 psi and egt are kept at say 1300f or lower for continuous running( probably 80mph in heavy G) will this be ok? Also I notice that egt drops once car is warmed up. Got no more than 1150 on long uphill climb today..
elvis100
02-06-2015, 05:33 PM #11

Thanks. I'll try the timing. I must be running at about 15 degrees now? What is the amount of adjustment range for the pump? 2 degrees 3 degrees? You say 2 bar? Aren't pistons starting to melt and things getting very hot in a std. 606 at this point? If I get good boost of say 15 psi and egt are kept at say 1300f or lower for continuous running( probably 80mph in heavy G) will this be ok? Also I notice that egt drops once car is warmed up. Got no more than 1150 on long uphill climb today..

barrote
Superturbo

02-07-2015, 04:41 PM #12
EGT temp for a engine like that, should be around 550Cº for continuous hard driving, every now and then 650ºC , peak 750Cº, and the engine will last.
2BAR is nothing compared to what some fellows are doing here. i run between 1.8 and 2 BAR. my engine is week. was N/A before.
The full range of the pump should be around 10º degrees. if u assembled the pump at 14º with the lock tool or the lights device u have at least 10º each side.
15 Psi is 1 BAR , even that small turbo should be able to produce 1.3 without too much EGP.
the high egt´s are related with timing and EGP, as said before.
regards

FD,