STD Tuning Engine OM605.960 manual pump conversion?

OM605.960 manual pump conversion?

OM605.960 manual pump conversion?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

10mpg
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2015, 04:30 PM #1
OK as some of you have seen I 'm putting an OM605.960 in my boat.

I'm a Merc TD newbie but eager to learn!

Out of preference I'd rather have a completetly manual injector pump on my engine primeraly because it's going to go out on the water and then there's no risk of water getting into the electrics. But I'm happy to be pursuaded otherwise, though the one thing i will not have is a key based immobiliser system or fly by wire throttle..

My engine is not coming with an ECU (as far as i know)

So, what are my options? What does the injector pump i have come with? Can it be made to work? If not what should i buy? Budget is a serious issue, cheap and cheerful wherever possible, I run a small engineering workshop and can make most things so wherever possible I'd rather build it/understand it than just throw money at it..

I'm not aiming for big power, torque and fuel economy are the priority at this stage, anywhere between 120 and 140 bhp would be perfect...

All advice welcome!
10mpg
01-30-2015, 04:30 PM #1

OK as some of you have seen I 'm putting an OM605.960 in my boat.

I'm a Merc TD newbie but eager to learn!

Out of preference I'd rather have a completetly manual injector pump on my engine primeraly because it's going to go out on the water and then there's no risk of water getting into the electrics. But I'm happy to be pursuaded otherwise, though the one thing i will not have is a key based immobiliser system or fly by wire throttle..

My engine is not coming with an ECU (as far as i know)

So, what are my options? What does the injector pump i have come with? Can it be made to work? If not what should i buy? Budget is a serious issue, cheap and cheerful wherever possible, I run a small engineering workshop and can make most things so wherever possible I'd rather build it/understand it than just throw money at it..

I'm not aiming for big power, torque and fuel economy are the priority at this stage, anywhere between 120 and 140 bhp would be perfect...

All advice welcome!

Petar
7.5mm M pump

01-30-2015, 06:40 PM #2
This topic has been beaten to death but i will try to summarize it in a couple of sentences.

Any om602/605 injection pump will bolt right on. Ssangyong OM662 2.9 pump will also work.
HOWEVER only turbo pumps will have an ALDA. A non turbo pump will also work but you will have to live with some off boost smoke,adapt your driving habits to minimize it, or buy an external ALDA from dieselmeken.
For 120-140 HP stock 5.5mm elements in these pumps will do fine but it is recommended to swap to 6mm elements from your electronic pump to get full power from the engine.
Petar
01-30-2015, 06:40 PM #2

This topic has been beaten to death but i will try to summarize it in a couple of sentences.

Any om602/605 injection pump will bolt right on. Ssangyong OM662 2.9 pump will also work.
HOWEVER only turbo pumps will have an ALDA. A non turbo pump will also work but you will have to live with some off boost smoke,adapt your driving habits to minimize it, or buy an external ALDA from dieselmeken.
For 120-140 HP stock 5.5mm elements in these pumps will do fine but it is recommended to swap to 6mm elements from your electronic pump to get full power from the engine.

10mpg
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2015, 07:11 PM #3
Yes when I was searching i kept seeing references to the ALDA, didnt really know what it was, and all the posts i read assumed previous knowledge, sorry to drag up a continuing topic, but there doesnt seem to be a sticky thread for novices like myself.

I'm not to worried about smoke as the exhaust is 'wet' so there should no 'clouds'

I have found a supllier of Ssang yong pumps for £80 each which seems very fair, but i couldnt find any ifo on what he ALDA was wheather it was needed for a my application, or even what it did..

Is changing the elements from my existing pump to the ssangyong one a DIY proposition? if so is there a guide or a known UK facility?
10mpg
01-30-2015, 07:11 PM #3

Yes when I was searching i kept seeing references to the ALDA, didnt really know what it was, and all the posts i read assumed previous knowledge, sorry to drag up a continuing topic, but there doesnt seem to be a sticky thread for novices like myself.

I'm not to worried about smoke as the exhaust is 'wet' so there should no 'clouds'

I have found a supllier of Ssang yong pumps for £80 each which seems very fair, but i couldnt find any ifo on what he ALDA was wheather it was needed for a my application, or even what it did..

Is changing the elements from my existing pump to the ssangyong one a DIY proposition? if so is there a guide or a known UK facility?

EvoPeter
GT2256V

01-30-2015, 09:05 PM #4
If u want bigger element u send it to Dieselmeken.

Changing elements is no DIY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox
EvoPeter
01-30-2015, 09:05 PM #4

If u want bigger element u send it to Dieselmeken.

Changing elements is no DIY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox

Petar
7.5mm M pump

01-31-2015, 03:45 AM #5
ALDA is the boost compensation device, it limits fuel when not on boost thus reducing smoke. It is the round can thingy right behind the shutoff valve, it is really tall compared to the rest of the pump.
[Image: 603.970_IP4.jpg]
There is also the older type ALDA that looks more rectangular
[Image: 603.96x_pump14_ALDA.jpg]

However not all of those round cans are ALDA. Some have ADA and that is just altitude compensation for naturally aspirated engines.It looks the same as first ALDA except it isn't connected to the manifold, instead it is open to the atmosphere. But it should be possible to replace the ADA can with an ALDA.

Element swapping DIY is possible but the pump MUST be calibrated on a test bench. You can just send both the mechanical pump and the electronic pump to a local pump shop and ask them to swap the elements and calibrate the pump. Any local injection pump shop should be able to do it.

That Ssangyong pump sounds like a decent deal, it should also have an ALDA since it came of a turbo engine.

AFAIK you never got turbo 602/603 engines in the UK.
This post was last modified: 01-31-2015, 03:48 AM by Petar.
Petar
01-31-2015, 03:45 AM #5

ALDA is the boost compensation device, it limits fuel when not on boost thus reducing smoke. It is the round can thingy right behind the shutoff valve, it is really tall compared to the rest of the pump.
[Image: 603.970_IP4.jpg]
There is also the older type ALDA that looks more rectangular
[Image: 603.96x_pump14_ALDA.jpg]

However not all of those round cans are ALDA. Some have ADA and that is just altitude compensation for naturally aspirated engines.It looks the same as first ALDA except it isn't connected to the manifold, instead it is open to the atmosphere. But it should be possible to replace the ADA can with an ALDA.

Element swapping DIY is possible but the pump MUST be calibrated on a test bench. You can just send both the mechanical pump and the electronic pump to a local pump shop and ask them to swap the elements and calibrate the pump. Any local injection pump shop should be able to do it.

That Ssangyong pump sounds like a decent deal, it should also have an ALDA since it came of a turbo engine.

AFAIK you never got turbo 602/603 engines in the UK.

10mpg
Naturally-aspirated

02-01-2015, 02:22 PM #6
Fantastic information, thankyou very much!

So if I'm understandign this correctly, all the manual pumps mentioned are capable in na form (with some adjustament no doubt) of running on a turbocharged motor without any significant alteration?

If i dont care about smoke then an ALDA is inconsequential? (though for 100EUR it seems worthwhile doing just to not upset people)

The ssangyong pump I can source is off a 2.9 NA engine not a turbo unit..
10mpg
02-01-2015, 02:22 PM #6

Fantastic information, thankyou very much!

So if I'm understandign this correctly, all the manual pumps mentioned are capable in na form (with some adjustament no doubt) of running on a turbocharged motor without any significant alteration?

If i dont care about smoke then an ALDA is inconsequential? (though for 100EUR it seems worthwhile doing just to not upset people)

The ssangyong pump I can source is off a 2.9 NA engine not a turbo unit..

barrote
Superturbo

02-01-2015, 04:06 PM #7
hello there,
just a few things!!! buying a IP from a junkyard even if it seems cheap may have desastrous consequences. it may end up in the bin.
care must be exercised, a few tricks of the kick.
elements stuck, rendering the pump unserviceable unless overhauled. james watt device inside may have play (chinesse masses), if it does it has to go in the bin. and several other play inside the pump governor.
search for a pump with the manufacture marks still unvoid.
even if u have to pay a few euros more.
BTW , alda or ada or whatever u have in there , it is interchangeable. but for a boat humm humm do the smoke bothers??? fuel consuption??? smooth idling???

FD,