STD Tuning Drivetrain 722.6 upgrade with amg parts

722.6 upgrade with amg parts

722.6 upgrade with amg parts

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

raidaru
TA 0301

01-27-2015, 01:48 PM #1
We all know 722.6 trannys found on many MB's can be upgraded with AMG parts, but seems like google doesn't want us to know OEM numbers for those parts...... If any of you have intel about this (not links with rebuilders that ask thousands) would be much appreciated Wink

lost in the diesel universe.............
raidaru
01-27-2015, 01:48 PM #1

We all know 722.6 trannys found on many MB's can be upgraded with AMG parts, but seems like google doesn't want us to know OEM numbers for those parts...... If any of you have intel about this (not links with rebuilders that ask thousands) would be much appreciated Wink

whipplem104
Holset

01-27-2015, 02:43 PM #2
What parts are you looking for exactly. There seems to be a misconception that the AMG cars really did something terribly different. The only big difference is the v12tt transmissions regardless of being an AMG. THe planetaries are bigger but this is completely unecessary.
The big difference in all the transmissions is how many clutches fit in each clutch pack. The standard v8 transmissions have just as many as any other. The one part that I use that is special to the ttv12 is the k3 clutch pack for extremely high power cars. I can easily get 6 frictions in instead of 5. The rest need the pistons milled down for clearance. You can cross reference all of the parts and clutches in the epc. Some AMG cars did hold on to the double sided frictions for a few more years but now they pretty much all have the single sided clutches except for the k2 clutch pack.
The only other difference is the pressure control solenoids on the valve body. These are only do something with the factory tcu not a standalone.
Just for info. I build standard v8 transmissions to handle in excess of 650hp and similar torque to the wheels with a very standard build and North of a 1000whp and torque on a lot of custom milled pistons.
whipplem104
01-27-2015, 02:43 PM #2

What parts are you looking for exactly. There seems to be a misconception that the AMG cars really did something terribly different. The only big difference is the v12tt transmissions regardless of being an AMG. THe planetaries are bigger but this is completely unecessary.
The big difference in all the transmissions is how many clutches fit in each clutch pack. The standard v8 transmissions have just as many as any other. The one part that I use that is special to the ttv12 is the k3 clutch pack for extremely high power cars. I can easily get 6 frictions in instead of 5. The rest need the pistons milled down for clearance. You can cross reference all of the parts and clutches in the epc. Some AMG cars did hold on to the double sided frictions for a few more years but now they pretty much all have the single sided clutches except for the k2 clutch pack.
The only other difference is the pressure control solenoids on the valve body. These are only do something with the factory tcu not a standalone.
Just for info. I build standard v8 transmissions to handle in excess of 650hp and similar torque to the wheels with a very standard build and North of a 1000whp and torque on a lot of custom milled pistons.

raidaru
TA 0301

01-27-2015, 03:17 PM #3
Hi whipplem, glad we cleard out the fog a little about the ATs. There are CDI diesel engine on w210/w211 (others doesn't matter too much) which if tuned, are capable of 1000nm(700lb+)@ 2200-2800rpm torque. That's sth you'll never see even in 1200hp gassers. They come with the w5a580 AT. What options other than limit the torque at low revs do u see for this aplication? The v8 tranny is probably the same or even less strong than the ones on the CDI engines, as they have more torque from factory. U talked about clutch packs K2,K3 etc, how many clutch packs are there in the w5a580 tranny? and how many discs cand enter maximum in each pack? Sorry for the lack of basic knowdlege, but it would be good to have some info on this forum too. P.S good job with the controller Wink Later edit http://www.jpat.co.uk/60%20Mercedes%202A%20722.6.pdf seems there are a lot of clutch packs, which of them has to be stuffed with 5 or 6 plates?
This post was last modified: 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM by raidaru.

raidaru
01-27-2015, 03:17 PM #3

Hi whipplem, glad we cleard out the fog a little about the ATs. There are CDI diesel engine on w210/w211 (others doesn't matter too much) which if tuned, are capable of 1000nm(700lb+)@ 2200-2800rpm torque. That's sth you'll never see even in 1200hp gassers. They come with the w5a580 AT. What options other than limit the torque at low revs do u see for this aplication? The v8 tranny is probably the same or even less strong than the ones on the CDI engines, as they have more torque from factory. U talked about clutch packs K2,K3 etc, how many clutch packs are there in the w5a580 tranny? and how many discs cand enter maximum in each pack? Sorry for the lack of basic knowdlege, but it would be good to have some info on this forum too. P.S good job with the controller Wink Later edit http://www.jpat.co.uk/60%20Mercedes%202A%20722.6.pdf seems there are a lot of clutch packs, which of them has to be stuffed with 5 or 6 plates?

whipplem104
Holset

01-27-2015, 03:51 PM #4
In cars that came with the 722.6 stock and using stock computers your big problem with that high of torque at low rpms is the pressures are not high enough. You can add the blue top solenoids from the AMG valve bodies to increase pressures. This only goes so far. Adding clutches will certainly help but one thing to remember is that you can really only add one or two clutches at most to any clutch packs except for k2 which comes on in third. You can get 2-3 in there, max. About the factory tq rating is that that number does not mean that if you put it in another car that it will survive. The tune did not change. The pressures can get rather complicated to explain. But the basics are that the pressure that holds a gear when not shifting is not the same as the pressure that is applied during a shift. So slipping while say in 2nd gear is a different problem than slipping going into a gear during a gear change. Changing this stuff is hard to do properly with the factory tcu. I have been working on a good solution for quite a while. Problem is that it is really a tune issue.
I am going to be testing some modifications this weekend on a factory tcu car that I have been working on and then will have to see what the long term effects are if I like it.

One other thing. All that torque you are making does not mean much unless you can put it down to the ground. So you can make 3000lbft of torque with the engine but if your tires are spinning then the transmission is going to be just fine. It would take some pretty serious drag slicks and a lot of driveline upgrades to put that torque down to the ground effectively.
This post was last modified: 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM by whipplem104.
whipplem104
01-27-2015, 03:51 PM #4

In cars that came with the 722.6 stock and using stock computers your big problem with that high of torque at low rpms is the pressures are not high enough. You can add the blue top solenoids from the AMG valve bodies to increase pressures. This only goes so far. Adding clutches will certainly help but one thing to remember is that you can really only add one or two clutches at most to any clutch packs except for k2 which comes on in third. You can get 2-3 in there, max. About the factory tq rating is that that number does not mean that if you put it in another car that it will survive. The tune did not change. The pressures can get rather complicated to explain. But the basics are that the pressure that holds a gear when not shifting is not the same as the pressure that is applied during a shift. So slipping while say in 2nd gear is a different problem than slipping going into a gear during a gear change. Changing this stuff is hard to do properly with the factory tcu. I have been working on a good solution for quite a while. Problem is that it is really a tune issue.
I am going to be testing some modifications this weekend on a factory tcu car that I have been working on and then will have to see what the long term effects are if I like it.

One other thing. All that torque you are making does not mean much unless you can put it down to the ground. So you can make 3000lbft of torque with the engine but if your tires are spinning then the transmission is going to be just fine. It would take some pretty serious drag slicks and a lot of driveline upgrades to put that torque down to the ground effectively.

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

01-27-2015, 05:25 PM #5
I had similar questions as im planning to use an E55 AMG box in my swap. I know the AMG's have different valve bodies, but the rest of the internals are always a huge discussion on most boards.

This thread on mbworld has a ton of info on the entire gearbox as the OP breaks it down completely and rebuilds it himself.

Hope it helps!

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/40990...-pics.html
Mr_Robs
01-27-2015, 05:25 PM #5

I had similar questions as im planning to use an E55 AMG box in my swap. I know the AMG's have different valve bodies, but the rest of the internals are always a huge discussion on most boards.

This thread on mbworld has a ton of info on the entire gearbox as the OP breaks it down completely and rebuilds it himself.

Hope it helps!

http://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/40990...-pics.html

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average