STD Tuning Drivetrain Clutch and gear box

Clutch and gear box

Clutch and gear box

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

barrote
Superturbo

01-26-2015, 05:02 AM #1
hello there,
FRAS, i belive u´re the man for clutches, question i need to upgrade my clutch, cant send it to u , is too far and heavy.;(
in your opinion , single or dual mass? wich presure plate will be best as a bolt on , or small modification.
gear box i´m inclined for the 616 from c270 cdi, what u think?
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-26-2015, 05:02 AM #1

hello there,
FRAS, i belive u´re the man for clutches, question i need to upgrade my clutch, cant send it to u , is too far and heavy.;(
in your opinion , single or dual mass? wich presure plate will be best as a bolt on , or small modification.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

F.R.A.S
Holset

01-26-2015, 01:42 PM #2
Big Grin thanks mate.

The 270cdi gearbox is supposed to be the strongest ever fitted on a Mercedes so it's a good choice. Unmodified that gearbox need a dual mass flywheel to work. In MY opinion you should go with the eBay dual mass Sprinter setup.

LINK There are both vendors from UK and Germany so just choose any one you like.

I don't know how much torque they can handle but you can measure the clutch when it comes and either it's 8mm or 9,2mm thick. If it's 8mm you can buy any old sinter clutch that is 8mm Smile If it's 9,2mm you should buy a real Sachs Performance sinter clutch witch is 9,2mm Tongue

Then is should hold the torque for a while...

The single mass flywheel can be machined for another PP though but this is the simplest way possible.

Cheers mate.

PS. Asking on the forum is great, then other can search and read and learn.

(01-26-2015, 05:02 AM)barrote hello there,
regards
This post was last modified: 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM by F.R.A.S.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
01-26-2015, 01:42 PM #2

Big Grin thanks mate.

The 270cdi gearbox is supposed to be the strongest ever fitted on a Mercedes so it's a good choice. Unmodified that gearbox need a dual mass flywheel to work. In MY opinion you should go with the eBay dual mass Sprinter setup.

LINK There are both vendors from UK and Germany so just choose any one you like.

I don't know how much torque they can handle but you can measure the clutch when it comes and either it's 8mm or 9,2mm thick. If it's 8mm you can buy any old sinter clutch that is 8mm Smile If it's 9,2mm you should buy a real Sachs Performance sinter clutch witch is 9,2mm Tongue

Then is should hold the torque for a while...

The single mass flywheel can be machined for another PP though but this is the simplest way possible.

Cheers mate.

PS. Asking on the forum is great, then other can search and read and learn.

(01-26-2015, 05:02 AM)barrote hello there,
regards

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

barrote
Superturbo

01-26-2015, 02:08 PM #3
nice to hear that about the 616. that was what i thought, after seing the insights of one.
i have a dual mass FW , the ones that come in the slk, 202 250. 240mm disk, despite i dont hear and feel it slipping, very often comes the smell of disk burned. and when at full throtle sometimes the engine fells like shaking, boost gage shows shaking, expeccially in high gears. i have a 707.413 bla bla with the 2.82 diff.
it is my belif that the clutch slight slips and since is dual mass the shaking and vibration is due to that. what do u think?
what do u mean by 8mm, disk thickness?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-26-2015, 02:08 PM #3

nice to hear that about the 616. that was what i thought, after seing the insights of one.
i have a dual mass FW , the ones that come in the slk, 202 250. 240mm disk, despite i dont hear and feel it slipping, very often comes the smell of disk burned. and when at full throtle sometimes the engine fells like shaking, boost gage shows shaking, expeccially in high gears. i have a 707.413 bla bla with the 2.82 diff.
it is my belif that the clutch slight slips and since is dual mass the shaking and vibration is due to that. what do u think?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

F.R.A.S
Holset

01-26-2015, 02:43 PM #4
Dual mass flywheels do just that, they shake and then they break in to two pieces and cuts you legs off...

If it smells burned clutch it is a burned clutch Sad

8mm and 9,2mm is how thick the stock clutch is. Sachs usually uses 9,2mm clutches and other brands and the Chinese guys do 8mm clutches. It's super important that you have the right clutch for the right PP.

I saw a solution that a guy did. He out some steel tubing in the hole of the dual mass flywheel and in that way made it a (sort off) single mass flywheel. Pretty cleaver actually. Should work just fine if it's just tight and a good fit.

(01-26-2015, 02:08 PM)barrote nice to hear that about the 616. that was what i thought, after seing the insights of one.

F.R.A.S
01-26-2015, 02:43 PM #4

Dual mass flywheels do just that, they shake and then they break in to two pieces and cuts you legs off...

If it smells burned clutch it is a burned clutch Sad

8mm and 9,2mm is how thick the stock clutch is. Sachs usually uses 9,2mm clutches and other brands and the Chinese guys do 8mm clutches. It's super important that you have the right clutch for the right PP.

I saw a solution that a guy did. He out some steel tubing in the hole of the dual mass flywheel and in that way made it a (sort off) single mass flywheel. Pretty cleaver actually. Should work just fine if it's just tight and a good fit.

(01-26-2015, 02:08 PM)barrote nice to hear that about the 616. that was what i thought, after seing the insights of one.

barrote
Superturbo

01-26-2015, 04:10 PM #5
i see your point about the breaking, my clutch can´t be burned just cause it was not abused and was new from shop, not more than 3000k road driving.
i´m wondering to weld the FW , tig weld. Smile but i never messed with a clutch before so my doubt relays with the disk! do u see any problema using the same disk after welding?
it is a solid disk , no dampning springs.
thanks

FD,