STD Other Non MBZ Diesel throwing up a ball here

throwing up a ball here

throwing up a ball here

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rolfts
K26-2

01-14-2015, 09:34 AM #1
i have been looking in to m57 engines and what it would take to fit a mechanical pump on one of these commonrail engines.
but i cant find clear images on the crank, cam and pump sprockets.
on my m51 the chain that goes from crank to pump is 2:1 ratio and from pump to cam 1:1.
[Image: 2539.gif]
the problem i keep running into is that i cant find any pictures ore info on ratios on the m57 engine. anyone who can shed some light on this?
if you look at this one it looks like the camshaft and pump rotate at diffrent speeds if you look at the sprocket size.[Image: 90a.png]
[Image: 903.png]

i could implement a m51 sprocket but maby it wont even fit in the chain case and tenstioners will probebly have to be re aligned.
rolfts
01-14-2015, 09:34 AM #1

i have been looking in to m57 engines and what it would take to fit a mechanical pump on one of these commonrail engines.
but i cant find clear images on the crank, cam and pump sprockets.
on my m51 the chain that goes from crank to pump is 2:1 ratio and from pump to cam 1:1.
[Image: 2539.gif]
the problem i keep running into is that i cant find any pictures ore info on ratios on the m57 engine. anyone who can shed some light on this?
if you look at this one it looks like the camshaft and pump rotate at diffrent speeds if you look at the sprocket size.[Image: 90a.png]
[Image: 903.png]

i could implement a m51 sprocket but maby it wont even fit in the chain case and tenstioners will probebly have to be re aligned.

Edian727
Dreams of 8mm 617

01-21-2015, 09:51 PM #2
it's a 4-stroke, pump and cam should both turn at half the rate of the crank.

notice the sprocket for the IP is a double sprocket of 2 sizes? front larger section makes the ip spin at half engine speed, rear sprocket drive's cams at same speed as IP.
Edian727
01-21-2015, 09:51 PM #2

it's a 4-stroke, pump and cam should both turn at half the rate of the crank.

notice the sprocket for the IP is a double sprocket of 2 sizes? front larger section makes the ip spin at half engine speed, rear sprocket drive's cams at same speed as IP.

rolfts
K26-2

01-22-2015, 04:35 AM #3
Yes but it's not as big of a difference if you put the m51 sprocket next to it. I'm afraid that's it's not a true 2:1 ratio but intermediate.
I found that early m47 where with electronic ve pump. I should be able to machine it to fit.
[Image: 49e.png]
rolfts
01-22-2015, 04:35 AM #3

Yes but it's not as big of a difference if you put the m51 sprocket next to it. I'm afraid that's it's not a true 2:1 ratio but intermediate.
I found that early m47 where with electronic ve pump. I should be able to machine it to fit.
[Image: 49e.png]

Edian727
Dreams of 8mm 617

01-22-2015, 12:54 PM #4
It has to be. for a 4-stroke engine to work the cams must turn at half the speed of the crank, and your source of ignition(injector pump in this case) has to turn at the same speed as the cam's. if either turn at more or less then that speed you will go out of time.(I'm talking about cam and IP timing) and wont run until its rotated back to the right time, and then of course it'll just rotate back out of time again. it's the same for any 4-stroke engine.

i wouldn't go off these pictures for accurate size. its just a diagram and Ive found that many diagrams do not have accurate sizes. I had to replace PTO clutches on a ford 7600. there was a pin that held a part in place. the diagram should the bolt that was the pin but not accurately. in the diagram it was just a bolt. in reality it was a bolt with a long pin off that end. took a couple hours to figure out what was going on. since then diagrams have been guides and nothing else.
Edian727
01-22-2015, 12:54 PM #4

It has to be. for a 4-stroke engine to work the cams must turn at half the speed of the crank, and your source of ignition(injector pump in this case) has to turn at the same speed as the cam's. if either turn at more or less then that speed you will go out of time.(I'm talking about cam and IP timing) and wont run until its rotated back to the right time, and then of course it'll just rotate back out of time again. it's the same for any 4-stroke engine.

i wouldn't go off these pictures for accurate size. its just a diagram and Ive found that many diagrams do not have accurate sizes. I had to replace PTO clutches on a ford 7600. there was a pin that held a part in place. the diagram should the bolt that was the pin but not accurately. in the diagram it was just a bolt. in reality it was a bolt with a long pin off that end. took a couple hours to figure out what was going on. since then diagrams have been guides and nothing else.

rolfts
K26-2

01-22-2015, 02:41 PM #5
i know what you´re saying but the thing is that the commonrail pump doesnt need to turn at a sertain speed but ofcours its a four stroke so fro 2 times crank the cam has to do it once.
but the pump has to rotate at the same speed as the camshaft, and this is where it gets tricky from these diagrams becous i cant find clear pictures on ouwer best friend google to count the teeth on the sprockets.
crank and cam are fine outher wise the engine would work. but i need to know if the pumpsprocket rotates at the same speed as the camshaft. and i think it would work with the m47 pump sprocket.
rolfts
01-22-2015, 02:41 PM #5

i know what you´re saying but the thing is that the commonrail pump doesnt need to turn at a sertain speed but ofcours its a four stroke so fro 2 times crank the cam has to do it once.
but the pump has to rotate at the same speed as the camshaft, and this is where it gets tricky from these diagrams becous i cant find clear pictures on ouwer best friend google to count the teeth on the sprockets.
crank and cam are fine outher wise the engine would work. but i need to know if the pumpsprocket rotates at the same speed as the camshaft. and i think it would work with the m47 pump sprocket.

Edian727
Dreams of 8mm 617

01-23-2015, 08:44 AM #6
sorry didn't realize it's a common rail, derf. well if you put a manual pump on it has to rotate at the same speed as the cams. best thing to do is see if you can find a pic of the sprockets and count teeth. like in a for sale add(might be hard to find i know).

looks similar enough of a system that pulleys can swap over if its not correct, might have to anyway as the way it hooks up to the pumps looks diff. of course it is a diagram, lol.
Edian727
01-23-2015, 08:44 AM #6

sorry didn't realize it's a common rail, derf. well if you put a manual pump on it has to rotate at the same speed as the cams. best thing to do is see if you can find a pic of the sprockets and count teeth. like in a for sale add(might be hard to find i know).

looks similar enough of a system that pulleys can swap over if its not correct, might have to anyway as the way it hooks up to the pumps looks diff. of course it is a diagram, lol.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average