STD Tuning Drivetrain Shift shaft seal on Getrag 5-speed - and how I messed up

Shift shaft seal on Getrag 5-speed - and how I messed up

Shift shaft seal on Getrag 5-speed - and how I messed up

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nazrat
Unregistered

08-16-2009, 06:25 PM #1
I made a little mistake I think. I was in the process of changing the leaking shifter selector shaft seals on my Getrag 5-speed while I had the shifter itself out. The front two were easy enough because I was able to remove the little plate that holds them in. For the rear I assumed that I could remove the snap-ring and the washer behind it, then pry out the seal. When I tried prying the seal out the shift shaft pushed into the transmission. Now I can't seem to get it to engage anything. I also wasn't able to get the seal out.

I gave up fiddling with it when my hands started to cramp up.

Am I destined to take the rear half of the transmission apart?

This transmission is marked 275.0.200.90 on the side.

Thanks,
Tad
Nazrat
08-16-2009, 06:25 PM #1

I made a little mistake I think. I was in the process of changing the leaking shifter selector shaft seals on my Getrag 5-speed while I had the shifter itself out. The front two were easy enough because I was able to remove the little plate that holds them in. For the rear I assumed that I could remove the snap-ring and the washer behind it, then pry out the seal. When I tried prying the seal out the shift shaft pushed into the transmission. Now I can't seem to get it to engage anything. I also wasn't able to get the seal out.

I gave up fiddling with it when my hands started to cramp up.

Am I destined to take the rear half of the transmission apart?

This transmission is marked 275.0.200.90 on the side.

Thanks,
Tad

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

08-16-2009, 06:35 PM #2
Is there a side cover or accesses cover? if not you may have to remove the rear section?

also you can try pushing the linkage in a bit and turning it and pulling in back out and hope you got the lever back in the right spot a lot of trial and error! good luck!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
08-16-2009, 06:35 PM #2

Is there a side cover or accesses cover? if not you may have to remove the rear section?

also you can try pushing the linkage in a bit and turning it and pulling in back out and hope you got the lever back in the right spot a lot of trial and error! good luck!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

Nazrat
Unregistered

08-16-2009, 06:59 PM #3
No side cover on that shaft. I'm definitely going to play with it some more before I pull the trans apart. Woof. This would make me want to put it back in with the om617A that's beside the garage instead of the om617 that's in it now. Just a bigger project...

-Tad
Nazrat
08-16-2009, 06:59 PM #3

No side cover on that shaft. I'm definitely going to play with it some more before I pull the trans apart. Woof. This would make me want to put it back in with the om617A that's beside the garage instead of the om617 that's in it now. Just a bigger project...

-Tad

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average