STD Tuning Engine e320 cdi cats and dpf - usa model

e320 cdi cats and dpf - usa model

e320 cdi cats and dpf - usa model

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MTUPower
looking for more power on a daily driver

12-22-2014, 08:37 AM #1
My 2005 e320 cdi (OM648 -148,000 miles) gets worse mileage than others who have posted on different forums. I also see plenty black smoke when I floor it and the tranny kicks down, but gentle/moderate throttle gives no smoke. It still has what I think to be great power. Could I have plugged cats/mufflers/ DPF ? What can I do to remedy/solve this? In my w123 I removed the rear "muffler" and found better torque earlier in the rpm. I don't think I want to remove parts from the 05, but please let me know your experience with this or other cdi models and this issue.
thanks
William
This post was last modified: 12-22-2014, 08:38 AM by MTUPower.

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's
MTUPower
12-22-2014, 08:37 AM #1

My 2005 e320 cdi (OM648 -148,000 miles) gets worse mileage than others who have posted on different forums. I also see plenty black smoke when I floor it and the tranny kicks down, but gentle/moderate throttle gives no smoke. It still has what I think to be great power. Could I have plugged cats/mufflers/ DPF ? What can I do to remedy/solve this? In my w123 I removed the rear "muffler" and found better torque earlier in the rpm. I don't think I want to remove parts from the 05, but please let me know your experience with this or other cdi models and this issue.
thanks
William

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's

Druk
Holset

12-22-2014, 08:41 AM #2
Have you had it on a Star diagnostic? That would be the first step: get the codes read. Black smoke on WOT sounds like the turbo/boost isn't working properly.
Druk
12-22-2014, 08:41 AM #2

Have you had it on a Star diagnostic? That would be the first step: get the codes read. Black smoke on WOT sounds like the turbo/boost isn't working properly.

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

12-22-2014, 12:31 PM #3
I don't think the '05 got a DPF here in the states but I could be wrong. Agreed with Druk though, sounds like you're not getting boost to burn the fuel. Unburnt fuel = lower mpg so that makes sense. Could be injectors though?

Can you get to the intake to hook up a boost gauge? Probably a sensor that picks that up but manual gauge would help you figure out if it's making the correct amount of boost or not. If there's a sensor you might be able to use a scangauge or something like that to check it out. If boost is ok I would start investigating the injection system. Getting the car hooked up and checked out could do a lot. They can check the injection system to see if it's operating within spec (injection duration ect..). Should be able to pick up if the injectors are misbehaving.

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
12-22-2014, 12:31 PM #3

I don't think the '05 got a DPF here in the states but I could be wrong. Agreed with Druk though, sounds like you're not getting boost to burn the fuel. Unburnt fuel = lower mpg so that makes sense. Could be injectors though?

Can you get to the intake to hook up a boost gauge? Probably a sensor that picks that up but manual gauge would help you figure out if it's making the correct amount of boost or not. If there's a sensor you might be able to use a scangauge or something like that to check it out. If boost is ok I would start investigating the injection system. Getting the car hooked up and checked out could do a lot. They can check the injection system to see if it's operating within spec (injection duration ect..). Should be able to pick up if the injectors are misbehaving.

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

Petar
7.5mm M pump

12-22-2014, 04:31 PM #4
If it had a DPF you wouldn't see any black smoke.If the turbo doesn't give enough boost the ECU will limit fueling. The most probable cause of the smoke is a stuck EGR valve or gunked up intake.
Petar
12-22-2014, 04:31 PM #4

If it had a DPF you wouldn't see any black smoke.If the turbo doesn't give enough boost the ECU will limit fueling. The most probable cause of the smoke is a stuck EGR valve or gunked up intake.

barrote
Superturbo

12-22-2014, 05:38 PM #5
hello fellows,
i bet my cent in somethig simpler. i have a car with 612, so is no no diff from 647. the 613 and 648 difer only in he injection system, and particles filter, at least here where i am.
lack of boost causes the engine to limp, malfunction on egr system same, anything at injection stage same. what the system can not recognise is fuel leak at high pressure injection stage. and one can´t notice as well cause diesel at ultra high pressure change its phisics.
i bet a leak at one injector, or in the high pressure lines. losing one liter of diesel as vapours in 100km cause your mileage to go 13/100km instead of 12.
regards.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-22-2014, 05:38 PM #5

hello fellows,
i bet my cent in somethig simpler. i have a car with 612, so is no no diff from 647. the 613 and 648 difer only in he injection system, and particles filter, at least here where i am.
lack of boost causes the engine to limp, malfunction on egr system same, anything at injection stage same. what the system can not recognise is fuel leak at high pressure injection stage. and one can´t notice as well cause diesel at ultra high pressure change its phisics.
i bet a leak at one injector, or in the high pressure lines. losing one liter of diesel as vapours in 100km cause your mileage to go 13/100km instead of 12.
regards.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

MTUPower

12-23-2014, 05:06 AM #6
I've gone thru the engine and there are no leaks. The turbo and related hardware are working as designed. The power is fine if I slowly/moderately press the pedal. No strange engine shake or misfire as injectors are prone to exhibit when they are not functioning properly. Frankly I'm looking for others who have had exhaust issues with the OM648 series - 647 or similar- in the E class, not diagnose why I might have other issues by reading into my post. In other words- have you had exhaust issues with this engine as many other diesels have- soot accumulation in the exhaust?

Note post #122 in this thread
"My wife has a W210 estate E320Cdi ... Anyways...The first job I did to the car was remove the three cats/DPF filters...
And the results......totally transformed the car into a high performance machine!....I took it on a quick 260 mile round trip last Monday night and noticed the following.

(1) The car performs like a scalded cat! and pulls like a steam train.
(2) I ran at 87mph on the cruise control on the motorway and around 70mph on the national roads....The car returned 40.1 mpg....its previous average was around 29mpg.
With 260 miles clocked up,I still had in excess of half a tank of fuel when I returned home.
(3) The engine climbs to operating temp quickly(85 degrees) and stays steadily there all day long.
(4) The turbocharger spools earlier at low rpm and this is slightly more audible from the more pronounced whilstle from the exhaust system as the engine delivers prodigious amounts of extra torque earlier on in the rev range.
(5) I feel the main improvement in performance was due to it being 'decatted' and allowing the engine to 'breath' better.....But I also feel the main reason the cats were blocked up was due to the egr system leaving its gunge through the engine
(6) Not a tint of smoke whatsoever behind as I accelerate the car up a steep hill to over 100mph. On a local steep hill which I normally climb at 30mph...the car will now storm up there at 65/70mph with the traction control system cutting in as the back end starts to break loose.
(7) The car idles and runs better/smoother.

However one person having issues is not a conclusive report that all have issues. While I may have EGR issues- it is not uncommon to have those in all EGR equipped diesels- this engine does not seem to be prone to EGR issues from what I've researched, despite this one post above.

(12-22-2014, 08:41 AM)Druk Have you had it on a Star diagnostic? That would be the first step: get the codes read. Black smoke on WOT sounds like the turbo/boost isn't working properly.
Yes and it does not have any codes related to this issue.
This post was last modified: 12-26-2014, 10:05 PM by MTUPower.

MTUPower
12-23-2014, 05:06 AM #6

I've gone thru the engine and there are no leaks. The turbo and related hardware are working as designed. The power is fine if I slowly/moderately press the pedal. No strange engine shake or misfire as injectors are prone to exhibit when they are not functioning properly. Frankly I'm looking for others who have had exhaust issues with the OM648 series - 647 or similar- in the E class, not diagnose why I might have other issues by reading into my post. In other words- have you had exhaust issues with this engine as many other diesels have- soot accumulation in the exhaust?

Note post #122 in this thread
"My wife has a W210 estate E320Cdi ... Anyways...The first job I did to the car was remove the three cats/DPF filters...
And the results......totally transformed the car into a high performance machine!....I took it on a quick 260 mile round trip last Monday night and noticed the following.

(1) The car performs like a scalded cat! and pulls like a steam train.
(2) I ran at 87mph on the cruise control on the motorway and around 70mph on the national roads....The car returned 40.1 mpg....its previous average was around 29mpg.
With 260 miles clocked up,I still had in excess of half a tank of fuel when I returned home.
(3) The engine climbs to operating temp quickly(85 degrees) and stays steadily there all day long.
(4) The turbocharger spools earlier at low rpm and this is slightly more audible from the more pronounced whilstle from the exhaust system as the engine delivers prodigious amounts of extra torque earlier on in the rev range.
(5) I feel the main improvement in performance was due to it being 'decatted' and allowing the engine to 'breath' better.....But I also feel the main reason the cats were blocked up was due to the egr system leaving its gunge through the engine
(6) Not a tint of smoke whatsoever behind as I accelerate the car up a steep hill to over 100mph. On a local steep hill which I normally climb at 30mph...the car will now storm up there at 65/70mph with the traction control system cutting in as the back end starts to break loose.
(7) The car idles and runs better/smoother.

However one person having issues is not a conclusive report that all have issues. While I may have EGR issues- it is not uncommon to have those in all EGR equipped diesels- this engine does not seem to be prone to EGR issues from what I've researched, despite this one post above.

(12-22-2014, 08:41 AM)Druk Have you had it on a Star diagnostic? That would be the first step: get the codes read. Black smoke on WOT sounds like the turbo/boost isn't working properly.
Yes and it does not have any codes related to this issue.

Austincarnut
Holset

12-23-2014, 09:40 AM #7
There are several things that come to mind...do you have any compression leaks from the injector seals on top of the cyl head? also, the quantity control valve could be screwing up... Just because there is no cel on, doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Injector test to check leak line flow to condemn bad injector...

(12-22-2014, 08:37 AM)MTUPower My 2005 e320 cdi (OM648 -148,000 miles) gets worse mileage than others who have posted on different forums. I also see plenty black smoke when I floor it and the tranny kicks down, but gentle/moderate throttle gives no smoke. It still has what I think to be great power. Could I have plugged cats/mufflers/ DPF ? What can I do to remedy/solve this? In my w123 I removed the rear "muffler" and found better torque earlier in the rpm. I don't think I want to remove parts from the 05, but please let me know your experience with this or other cdi models and this issue.
thanks
William
Austincarnut
12-23-2014, 09:40 AM #7

There are several things that come to mind...do you have any compression leaks from the injector seals on top of the cyl head? also, the quantity control valve could be screwing up... Just because there is no cel on, doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Injector test to check leak line flow to condemn bad injector...

(12-22-2014, 08:37 AM)MTUPower My 2005 e320 cdi (OM648 -148,000 miles) gets worse mileage than others who have posted on different forums. I also see plenty black smoke when I floor it and the tranny kicks down, but gentle/moderate throttle gives no smoke. It still has what I think to be great power. Could I have plugged cats/mufflers/ DPF ? What can I do to remedy/solve this? In my w123 I removed the rear "muffler" and found better torque earlier in the rpm. I don't think I want to remove parts from the 05, but please let me know your experience with this or other cdi models and this issue.
thanks
William

MTUPower

12-26-2014, 09:47 PM #8
(12-23-2014, 09:40 AM)Austincarnut There are several things that come to mind...do you have any compression leaks from the injector seals on top of the cyl head? also, the quantity control valve could be screwing up... Just because there is no cel on, doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Injector test to check leak line flow to condemn bad injector...

Please folks- stop with the trying to diagnose other issues; I'm only interested in the exhaust.

My car is one of 5 CDI's I've driven- and mine is still the smoothest at idle and speed and seems to be the most powerful- but that does not mean there is not an issue with the exhaust being restricted. My job as a sportfish captain has me in maintaining two 1500 HP 16 cylinder diesels. I've worked on hundreds of different diesels from 5-2450 HP. I'm only trying to find out if others with CDI's have had issues with exhaust restrictions due to soot build up- as many other diesels have.
This post was last modified: 12-26-2014, 09:55 PM by MTUPower.

MTUPower
12-26-2014, 09:47 PM #8

(12-23-2014, 09:40 AM)Austincarnut There are several things that come to mind...do you have any compression leaks from the injector seals on top of the cyl head? also, the quantity control valve could be screwing up... Just because there is no cel on, doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Injector test to check leak line flow to condemn bad injector...

Please folks- stop with the trying to diagnose other issues; I'm only interested in the exhaust.

My car is one of 5 CDI's I've driven- and mine is still the smoothest at idle and speed and seems to be the most powerful- but that does not mean there is not an issue with the exhaust being restricted. My job as a sportfish captain has me in maintaining two 1500 HP 16 cylinder diesels. I've worked on hundreds of different diesels from 5-2450 HP. I'm only trying to find out if others with CDI's have had issues with exhaust restrictions due to soot build up- as many other diesels have.

Austincarnut
Holset

12-26-2014, 09:55 PM #9
Maybe what we're getting at is you might be in over your head, pay an expert

(12-26-2014, 09:47 PM)MTUPower

Austincarnut
12-26-2014, 09:55 PM #9

Maybe what we're getting at is you might be in over your head, pay an expert

(12-26-2014, 09:47 PM)MTUPower

MTUPower

12-26-2014, 09:58 PM #10
(12-26-2014, 09:55 PM)Austincarnut Maybe what we're getting at is you might be in over your head, pay an expert
I need people to talk about exhaust issues they've had with CDI's. Do you have any expertise on this issue or not? Isn't that what a MB engine forum is for- asking specific technical questions and those that know respond? If you don't know then please don't answer; it's not complicated.
This post was last modified: 12-26-2014, 10:05 PM by MTUPower.

MTUPower
12-26-2014, 09:58 PM #10

(12-26-2014, 09:55 PM)Austincarnut Maybe what we're getting at is you might be in over your head, pay an expert
I need people to talk about exhaust issues they've had with CDI's. Do you have any expertise on this issue or not? Isn't that what a MB engine forum is for- asking specific technical questions and those that know respond? If you don't know then please don't answer; it's not complicated.

tuikku
GT2256V

12-27-2014, 02:24 AM #11
thanks
William

Your car´s ecu is pressure-controlled, not maf.
That means that boost pressure must rice before ecu gives more fuel.
Thats why smoke limitation maps have to be done as quite optimistic, otherwise when you floor, nothing happens.
Typically this smoke-effeckt comes with smaller gears and not with bigger.
Better response.

Too much smoke means ofcourse false.
Egr leaks, flaps, booost pressure leaks, injector(s) leaks ....
tuikku
12-27-2014, 02:24 AM #11

thanks
William

Your car´s ecu is pressure-controlled, not maf.
That means that boost pressure must rice before ecu gives more fuel.
Thats why smoke limitation maps have to be done as quite optimistic, otherwise when you floor, nothing happens.
Typically this smoke-effeckt comes with smaller gears and not with bigger.
Better response.

Too much smoke means ofcourse false.
Egr leaks, flaps, booost pressure leaks, injector(s) leaks ....

MTUPower

12-27-2014, 10:04 PM #12
I found that the OM648 has not DPF, but does have one cat "box" immediately behind the turbo. Replacing it with a straight pipe yields good results according to others who have done so. Muffler deletes do not seem to do too much. I don't wish for a loud car anyways. I did drive a different cdi this week and it was considerably slower than mine. I've driven 5 of them now and only one other seemed to have the same power as mine, so I'm not particularly concerned with this issue as much as before. thanks for everyone's input!

MTUPower
12-27-2014, 10:04 PM #12

I found that the OM648 has not DPF, but does have one cat "box" immediately behind the turbo. Replacing it with a straight pipe yields good results according to others who have done so. Muffler deletes do not seem to do too much. I don't wish for a loud car anyways. I did drive a different cdi this week and it was considerably slower than mine. I've driven 5 of them now and only one other seemed to have the same power as mine, so I'm not particularly concerned with this issue as much as before. thanks for everyone's input!

Druk
Holset

12-28-2014, 06:02 AM #13
Is it possible your car has been re-mapped by a previous owner? If you're getting more power than others and also black smoke maybe that's the reason?
Druk
12-28-2014, 06:02 AM #13

Is it possible your car has been re-mapped by a previous owner? If you're getting more power than others and also black smoke maybe that's the reason?

MTUPower

12-28-2014, 11:49 AM #14
(12-28-2014, 06:02 AM)Druk Is it possible your car has been re-mapped by a previous owner? If you're getting more power than others and also black smoke maybe that's the reason?
Very good point- I'd guess I need to do a 0-60 test and post results which may help in that determination. On the down side my mileage is in usually in the 28-29 range so that would be low for a re-mapped engine I think. I don't get black smoke unless I floor it- and usually I don't do Italian tune-ups often. Perhaps it's that I baby it too much and need to blow her out.

MTUPower
12-28-2014, 11:49 AM #14

(12-28-2014, 06:02 AM)Druk Is it possible your car has been re-mapped by a previous owner? If you're getting more power than others and also black smoke maybe that's the reason?
Very good point- I'd guess I need to do a 0-60 test and post results which may help in that determination. On the down side my mileage is in usually in the 28-29 range so that would be low for a re-mapped engine I think. I don't get black smoke unless I floor it- and usually I don't do Italian tune-ups often. Perhaps it's that I baby it too much and need to blow her out.

barrote
Superturbo

12-28-2014, 02:40 PM #15
MB cat.s that one at high temp, the box close to the exaust ports , usually exibits failure. when it does it clogs the engine. evident loss of power and evident increase in fuel consuption.
most people i´ve been Reading here use staight pipes. as i do.
regards

FD,