STD Tuning Engine HELP PLEASE ! Harmonic Balancer & Pulleys

HELP PLEASE ! Harmonic Balancer & Pulleys

HELP PLEASE ! Harmonic Balancer & Pulleys

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greazzer
Superturbo

12-08-2014, 05:27 PM #1
Although I cannot post pictures any more on this forum, I can type.

Here is my dilema. Please help or any info !

I have a W123 - 300D with OM617.912 Engine (NA)

I want to install the double alternator pulley and I need the corresponding double crank pulley. I could not find anything suggesting that the NA flavor had the double pulley option. If so, please let me know.

I sourced the double alternator pulley and double crank pulley from a 1982 (1983?) 300SD from the yard on Sunday. It had the standard OM617.95X engine.

After removing the crank pulley from my car, it is very clear that the set up is different.

Here is my question:

Has anyone swapped out the NA harmonic balancer for the Turbo one?

The pulley assembly from the NA is longer and heavier.

I looked and cannot find anything concrete

Although my NA engine will most likely not be in my car another year (I hope), I want to knock out all of my R&D, et cet., and other changes in a "final" version in the next few months. The car is grounded and is not leaving the garage until the work is done. keeping it as a DD was nutty ...

If the harmonic balancer can be swapped, then that adds around 3" of space to the front of the engine plus a double alt pulley ...

Any help is greatly appreciated !!!!!

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
12-08-2014, 05:27 PM #1

Although I cannot post pictures any more on this forum, I can type.

Here is my dilema. Please help or any info !

I have a W123 - 300D with OM617.912 Engine (NA)

I want to install the double alternator pulley and I need the corresponding double crank pulley. I could not find anything suggesting that the NA flavor had the double pulley option. If so, please let me know.

I sourced the double alternator pulley and double crank pulley from a 1982 (1983?) 300SD from the yard on Sunday. It had the standard OM617.95X engine.

After removing the crank pulley from my car, it is very clear that the set up is different.

Here is my question:

Has anyone swapped out the NA harmonic balancer for the Turbo one?

The pulley assembly from the NA is longer and heavier.

I looked and cannot find anything concrete

Although my NA engine will most likely not be in my car another year (I hope), I want to knock out all of my R&D, et cet., and other changes in a "final" version in the next few months. The car is grounded and is not leaving the garage until the work is done. keeping it as a DD was nutty ...

If the harmonic balancer can be swapped, then that adds around 3" of space to the front of the engine plus a double alt pulley ...

Any help is greatly appreciated !!!!!

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

w123love
Stockish

12-08-2014, 05:55 PM #2
I'll see what we did on a recent 617 engine swap. I remember we had pulley issued going from a NA to boosted engine.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
12-08-2014, 05:55 PM #2

I'll see what we did on a recent 617 engine swap. I remember we had pulley issued going from a NA to boosted engine.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion

The VEGEWGN

Greazzer
Superturbo

12-08-2014, 05:55 PM #3
THANK YOU REECE !!!!!

I forgot to ask if anything else has to be swapped out in the process ...

for the pureists out there ...

MB and FSM used slightly differently terminology: pulley, vibration damper and balancing disc ....
This post was last modified: 12-08-2014, 05:57 PM by Greazzer.

Greazzer
12-08-2014, 05:55 PM #3

THANK YOU REECE !!!!!

I forgot to ask if anything else has to be swapped out in the process ...

for the pureists out there ...

MB and FSM used slightly differently terminology: pulley, vibration damper and balancing disc ....

w123love
Stockish

12-08-2014, 07:11 PM #4
We had the convenience of picking and choosing what to use from the TD (aka Crunch) to the NA (aka Old Blue). I think we swapped fans, engine mount arm on one side, NA fan/radiator, alternator, and the cool idle control was added back as well. I really liked the high idle adjustment growing up. If it was easier, I would add one to my wagon.
I'm headed back home to SoCal in two weeks, and I will know exactly what was used.

The VEGEWGN
w123love
12-08-2014, 07:11 PM #4

We had the convenience of picking and choosing what to use from the TD (aka Crunch) to the NA (aka Old Blue). I think we swapped fans, engine mount arm on one side, NA fan/radiator, alternator, and the cool idle control was added back as well. I really liked the high idle adjustment growing up. If it was easier, I would add one to my wagon.
I'm headed back home to SoCal in two weeks, and I will know exactly what was used.

The VEGEWGN

Greazzer
Superturbo

12-08-2014, 08:56 PM #5
I weighed the turbo pulley and it was 1.780 and the NA was 1.340.

The JY turbo did NOT have a vibration damper or at least I somehow missed it ... So I cannot compare the weight between the two. Same for the balancing disk.

So, I am wondering if

1. Will it just bolt up by swapping all the parts?
2. If it can just bolt up, will a weight difference make any real differnce? Assuming the weight is different, I am wondering if I can add a machined ring at the end to make up for the weight difference?

Greazzer
12-08-2014, 08:56 PM #5

I weighed the turbo pulley and it was 1.780 and the NA was 1.340.

The JY turbo did NOT have a vibration damper or at least I somehow missed it ... So I cannot compare the weight between the two. Same for the balancing disk.

So, I am wondering if

1. Will it just bolt up by swapping all the parts?
2. If it can just bolt up, will a weight difference make any real differnce? Assuming the weight is different, I am wondering if I can add a machined ring at the end to make up for the weight difference?

barrote
Superturbo

12-09-2014, 09:34 AM #6
hy there,
the harmonic balancer has to do with the cranckshaft balance. european engines tend to be internal balanced oposite to the american ones. if is that the case u dont have na harmonic balancer in your engine , u just have a pulley with a damper. and if that is just a pulley with a damper changing the weight as long as it is dinamically balanced wont matter , regarding engine balance.
try it out compare vibs. maybe u can lay your hands in a vib analiser.
good luck

FD,