STD Other Projects Should I get a W123 or W124 wagon as a new project? Going for more performance.

Should I get a W123 or W124 wagon as a new project? Going for more performance.

Should I get a W123 or W124 wagon as a new project? Going for more performance.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bitshoptyler
Naturally-aspirated

11-18-2014, 04:05 PM #1
As I said, I'm considering a new project, and while I'm ogling a BMW 740iL right now, I'm probably going to end up getting a W123 or W124 diesel wagon and changing it around some. I'm thinking bigger turbo (HX35?), injectors, and maybe a 5- or 6-speed transmission, probably going to end up with a bit of a sleeper.

I currently own a W126 350SDL (no mods), and I'm looking to keep it stock (even the radio), so I'm looking at getting a wagon for a faster car. So for those of you who have worked on the OM60X and OM61X engines, which is easier to work on? More reliable? I'm quite happy with the 3.5L in my '91 right now, aside from a few oil leaks (the turbo seals were gone after sitting for 9 years), it's been pretty good to me so far (no rod bending, so that's good.)

I expect the W124 would be a little more expensive, and I've seen some pretty rusty W123s, is that fairly normal for them, or are they used in harsher environments than the W124s? From what I've seen, a decent (not great) W123 is going around $1500-2500 near me, and a decent W124 is around twice that. This is probably going to end up as my daily driver too, so while I'm okay with maintenance, I'm not okay with it breaking down too often (not too worried about that with an older diesel though, I've never had the SDL actually break down for any reason.)

Give me your thoughts, if you have them. I'd love to hear from some people who have owned either model, and people who have owned both would be even better
bitshoptyler
11-18-2014, 04:05 PM #1

As I said, I'm considering a new project, and while I'm ogling a BMW 740iL right now, I'm probably going to end up getting a W123 or W124 diesel wagon and changing it around some. I'm thinking bigger turbo (HX35?), injectors, and maybe a 5- or 6-speed transmission, probably going to end up with a bit of a sleeper.

I currently own a W126 350SDL (no mods), and I'm looking to keep it stock (even the radio), so I'm looking at getting a wagon for a faster car. So for those of you who have worked on the OM60X and OM61X engines, which is easier to work on? More reliable? I'm quite happy with the 3.5L in my '91 right now, aside from a few oil leaks (the turbo seals were gone after sitting for 9 years), it's been pretty good to me so far (no rod bending, so that's good.)

I expect the W124 would be a little more expensive, and I've seen some pretty rusty W123s, is that fairly normal for them, or are they used in harsher environments than the W124s? From what I've seen, a decent (not great) W123 is going around $1500-2500 near me, and a decent W124 is around twice that. This is probably going to end up as my daily driver too, so while I'm okay with maintenance, I'm not okay with it breaking down too often (not too worried about that with an older diesel though, I've never had the SDL actually break down for any reason.)

Give me your thoughts, if you have them. I'd love to hear from some people who have owned either model, and people who have owned both would be even better

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

11-18-2014, 04:15 PM #2
I'd go with a W123 if you're at all budget minded. Cars and components can be found for very little money which would free up some cash for the 5-speed, turbo upgrade, adapters, exhaust, injectors, superpump, driveshaft, rust repair, paint, intercooler, tires, etc.
You can do all the same with a W124 but you'll be starting with a smaller budget.

I can help get you set up with a good project since we're "local".
This post was last modified: 11-18-2014, 04:19 PM by CRD4x4.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project
CRD4x4
11-18-2014, 04:15 PM #2

I'd go with a W123 if you're at all budget minded. Cars and components can be found for very little money which would free up some cash for the 5-speed, turbo upgrade, adapters, exhaust, injectors, superpump, driveshaft, rust repair, paint, intercooler, tires, etc.
You can do all the same with a W124 but you'll be starting with a smaller budget.

I can help get you set up with a good project since we're "local".

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average