STD Tuning Suspension W124 control arm bushing, shock/strut

W124 control arm bushing, shock/strut

W124 control arm bushing, shock/strut

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

92 300d
Naturally-aspirated

10-18-2014, 10:46 PM #1
Hello all,
I'm looking at replacing the control arm bushings, shocks/struts and possibly springs on my 92 300d. Whenever I can drum up the cash( sooner than later). Just looking for any input. For shocks/ struts I'm leaning towards Bilstien sports - B8s. Pros-Cons?
For springs of I decide to change .... leaning towards H&R lowering. Anybody have a part #? I see they offer a few different for W124.
Last but not least, control arm bushings. Any particular brands to stay away from?? Aftermarket OK?? Or stick with OEM?? Are there urethane avail? I saw hedgehog in Thailand makes some. Do they sell in US? Is the price worth the difference?
One last thing... Wheel and tire sizes. If I were to get 17" AMG( saw some for sale but dont have imfo on them yet)to replace the 15" ...what tire size would be a good fit?
Any input is appreciated! Cheers!

92 300d Smoke silver - 288k daily driver.....now off the road.
92 300d- 240k....getting ready.
89 560 SEC......future project.
92 300d
10-18-2014, 10:46 PM #1

Hello all,
I'm looking at replacing the control arm bushings, shocks/struts and possibly springs on my 92 300d. Whenever I can drum up the cash( sooner than later). Just looking for any input. For shocks/ struts I'm leaning towards Bilstien sports - B8s. Pros-Cons?
For springs of I decide to change .... leaning towards H&R lowering. Anybody have a part #? I see they offer a few different for W124.
Last but not least, control arm bushings. Any particular brands to stay away from?? Aftermarket OK?? Or stick with OEM?? Are there urethane avail? I saw hedgehog in Thailand makes some. Do they sell in US? Is the price worth the difference?
One last thing... Wheel and tire sizes. If I were to get 17" AMG( saw some for sale but dont have imfo on them yet)to replace the 15" ...what tire size would be a good fit?

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-19-2014, 09:33 AM #2
Urethane will improve your handling more than any other mod. Hedgehog is your best bet there. I've dealt with them before and recommend them.

Wheel stuff bottom of page here: http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/

A '92 is pretty low stock. Lowering springs will have you sitting on the bump stops. Not good for handling but maybe looks good. They'll be soft too. Cutting stock springs is common practice on the 201's and 124's.
raysorenson
10-19-2014, 09:33 AM #2

Urethane will improve your handling more than any other mod. Hedgehog is your best bet there. I've dealt with them before and recommend them.

A '92 is pretty low stock. Lowering springs will have you sitting on the bump stops. Not good for handling but maybe looks good. They'll be soft too. Cutting stock springs is common practice on the 201's and 124's.

92 300d
Naturally-aspirated

10-19-2014, 11:45 AM #3
(10-18-2014, 10:46 PM)92 300d Hello all,

(10-19-2014, 09:33 AM)raysorenson Urethane will improve your handling more than any other mod. Hedgehog is your best bet there. I've dealt with them before and recommend them.

Thanks for the link! I had forgotten how much info is compiled there. Was looking at ride height this morning. I see what you mean about how it would be sitting on bump stops. Had to look on the other car as the ones on this are totally shot! What if I change bump stops to sportline type?? They are a bit shorter. Or will I run into issues with tires rubbing on fenders??
Do you have contact info for hedgehog? Approximate cost? Feel free to PM if more appropriate.
This post was last modified: 10-19-2014, 11:55 AM by 92 300d.

92 300d
10-19-2014, 11:45 AM #3

(10-18-2014, 10:46 PM)92 300d Hello all,

(10-19-2014, 09:33 AM)raysorenson Urethane will improve your handling more than any other mod. Hedgehog is your best bet there. I've dealt with them before and recommend them.

Thanks for the link! I had forgotten how much info is compiled there. Was looking at ride height this morning. I see what you mean about how it would be sitting on bump stops. Had to look on the other car as the ones on this are totally shot! What if I change bump stops to sportline type?? They are a bit shorter. Or will I run into issues with tires rubbing on fenders??
Do you have contact info for hedgehog? Approximate cost? Feel free to PM if more appropriate.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-19-2014, 02:56 PM #4
Hedgehog has a FB page or http://forum.190rev.net/showthread.php?4...suspension

[Image: stop_buffers2.jpg]

I think those AMG wheel install PDF's outline how to push out the front fenders. I had to do it to fit the 16x8 R129 wheels on my W124.
raysorenson
10-19-2014, 02:56 PM #4

Hedgehog has a FB page or http://forum.190rev.net/showthread.php?4...suspension

[Image: stop_buffers2.jpg]

I think those AMG wheel install PDF's outline how to push out the front fenders. I had to do it to fit the 16x8 R129 wheels on my W124.

10-21-2014, 03:37 AM #5
That'S a nice collection of butt plugs!

I've not had good experience with PU bushes... They deformed rather fast (on my '84 Mini). However, Sportsline cars got stiffer bushes, they'r available in the aftermarket too. I'd try to get hold of Lemförder bushes. And don't forgett the press them in with the right orientation! IMHO PU bushes are more for track use, not so much for a daily driven vehicle.

The aluminium tube that goes through the bushes can be flared in using two wheel bolts Wink

And I'd suggest to replace the ball joints too!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
10-21-2014, 03:37 AM #5

That'S a nice collection of butt plugs!

I've not had good experience with PU bushes... They deformed rather fast (on my '84 Mini). However, Sportsline cars got stiffer bushes, they'r available in the aftermarket too. I'd try to get hold of Lemförder bushes. And don't forgett the press them in with the right orientation! IMHO PU bushes are more for track use, not so much for a daily driven vehicle.

The aluminium tube that goes through the bushes can be flared in using two wheel bolts Wink

And I'd suggest to replace the ball joints too!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

92 300d
Naturally-aspirated

10-21-2014, 08:55 AM #6
I got a hold of Hedgehog and their pricing. Price for product is reasonable. Get to choose color red or black and firmness street or race. Its the shipping that's pretty high. PU deformed??...interesting.
I've come across the Lemforder. Price good and readily available. I don't see a sport line option when I search. Would happen to have part number? Or a search recommendation?? I plan on going thru the ball joints and tie rods as well. Your input is appreciated.

92 300d
10-21-2014, 08:55 AM #6

I got a hold of Hedgehog and their pricing. Price for product is reasonable. Get to choose color red or black and firmness street or race. Its the shipping that's pretty high. PU deformed??...interesting.
I've come across the Lemforder. Price good and readily available. I don't see a sport line option when I search. Would happen to have part number? Or a search recommendation?? I plan on going thru the ball joints and tie rods as well. Your input is appreciated.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average