STD Other Projects W124 project: need help to choose the base

W124 project: need help to choose the base

W124 project: need help to choose the base

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

frenchguy
Naturally-aspirated

10-13-2014, 07:25 AM #1
Hi all
I'm beginning in turbodiesel so excuse me if some questions are stupid.
My project is to have a W124 with at the end approximately 200/250 whp.

1) According to you, which is the best car to buy ? do I avoid automatic ?
-W124 300D
-W124 300TD
-W124 250TD

2) Can I keep an automatic gear (the stock one or another ?)
Which Mercedes Manual or automatic Gearbox is indicated ?

3) To have 200/250 whp what must I change ?
-turbo
-intercooler
-injectors
-diesel pump
-exhaust and air intake ?
-what do I forget ?
-what's unnecessary to change ?

4) Could you give me links where I can buy that kind of stuff for mercedes turbodiesel ?

Thanks
frenchguy
10-13-2014, 07:25 AM #1

Hi all
I'm beginning in turbodiesel so excuse me if some questions are stupid.
My project is to have a W124 with at the end approximately 200/250 whp.

1) According to you, which is the best car to buy ? do I avoid automatic ?
-W124 300D
-W124 300TD
-W124 250TD

2) Can I keep an automatic gear (the stock one or another ?)
Which Mercedes Manual or automatic Gearbox is indicated ?

3) To have 200/250 whp what must I change ?
-turbo
-intercooler
-injectors
-diesel pump
-exhaust and air intake ?
-what do I forget ?
-what's unnecessary to change ?

4) Could you give me links where I can buy that kind of stuff for mercedes turbodiesel ?

Thanks

10-13-2014, 12:06 PM #2
300D or 300TD is mainly a choice of what body style you prefere; sedan or wagon... Though the French seem to call a 300D Turbo a "300TD" - Mercedes nomenclature is "T" = wagon (break). So a 300 Turbodiesel wagon would be "300TD Turbo" or "300TDT" short. Corretly a Turbodiesel sedan would be a "300D Turbo", or short "300DT". Following the MB type designation.

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same stuff here Smile

I would take a Turbodiesel as a donor car, it has a long differential allready and oil cooler + vented bumper, biggest prop shaft and correct front springs for the heavy engine. DT or TDT - what floats your boat.

Mind that wagons have more hydraulic pipes which tend to be rotten - quite often they are beyond saving. And then there's the usually VERY bad rust on W124s... VERY carefully inspect the front (triangular) mounts for the rear subframe, the spring perches up front and the crossmember below the engine. On wagons the C-Pillar can be VERY rusty, stay away if there are rust bubbles on the outside of the C-pillar just below the window.

300DT and TDT only ever got automatic gearboxes. The 250DT or TDT could be ordered with 5-speed manual gearbox.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
10-13-2014, 12:06 PM #2

300D or 300TD is mainly a choice of what body style you prefere; sedan or wagon... Though the French seem to call a 300D Turbo a "300TD" - Mercedes nomenclature is "T" = wagon (break). So a 300 Turbodiesel wagon would be "300TD Turbo" or "300TDT" short. Corretly a Turbodiesel sedan would be a "300D Turbo", or short "300DT". Following the MB type designation.

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same stuff here Smile

I would take a Turbodiesel as a donor car, it has a long differential allready and oil cooler + vented bumper, biggest prop shaft and correct front springs for the heavy engine. DT or TDT - what floats your boat.

Mind that wagons have more hydraulic pipes which tend to be rotten - quite often they are beyond saving. And then there's the usually VERY bad rust on W124s... VERY carefully inspect the front (triangular) mounts for the rear subframe, the spring perches up front and the crossmember below the engine. On wagons the C-Pillar can be VERY rusty, stay away if there are rust bubbles on the outside of the C-pillar just below the window.

300DT and TDT only ever got automatic gearboxes. The 250DT or TDT could be ordered with 5-speed manual gearbox.

frenchguy
Naturally-aspirated

10-14-2014, 02:14 AM #3
thanks for advices !
frenchguy
10-14-2014, 02:14 AM #3

thanks for advices !

maxypriest
Holset

10-14-2014, 06:49 AM #4
This chap (Luke) is a one stop shop for the bits you need. He will be able to offer you advice and has lots of experience doing STD conversions inc at least 3 W124 conversions. He also is able to offer you a full build if that what you’re after.

I have been in a couple of his cars and they are outrageously quick and economical too. One of his estates made 507bhp at the rear wheels, as a passenger I have never laughed so much. It would walk almost everything. In an estate! Comical.

http://www.dieselpumpuk.com/

As Dieselweasel says the main issue is finding a good rot free w124 – I hope the south of France has a good stock. It took me 18 months to find a good one here, and I’ve still had to weld the floor up and give it a general tidy up.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs
maxypriest
10-14-2014, 06:49 AM #4

This chap (Luke) is a one stop shop for the bits you need. He will be able to offer you advice and has lots of experience doing STD conversions inc at least 3 W124 conversions. He also is able to offer you a full build if that what you’re after.

I have been in a couple of his cars and they are outrageously quick and economical too. One of his estates made 507bhp at the rear wheels, as a passenger I have never laughed so much. It would walk almost everything. In an estate! Comical.

http://www.dieselpumpuk.com/

As Dieselweasel says the main issue is finding a good rot free w124 – I hope the south of France has a good stock. It took me 18 months to find a good one here, and I’ve still had to weld the floor up and give it a general tidy up.

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs

10-14-2014, 12:09 PM #5
There is hope. My turbo wing came from southern france - 100% spotless Smile

Btw; best year for a Turbo would be '89-'93, resp. 1st face-lift cars. The engine got uprated in '89 and the bodywork has still good build quality.

Here's a rust-guide for W124s I wrote: http://jan-wulf.de/?p=7536 - it's in german, but google does an acceptable job at translating it Smile

DiseaselWeasel
10-14-2014, 12:09 PM #5

There is hope. My turbo wing came from southern france - 100% spotless Smile

Btw; best year for a Turbo would be '89-'93, resp. 1st face-lift cars. The engine got uprated in '89 and the bodywork has still good build quality.

Here's a rust-guide for W124s I wrote: http://jan-wulf.de/?p=7536 - it's in german, but google does an acceptable job at translating it Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average