STD Tuning Engine Building a new fuel system

Building a new fuel system

Building a new fuel system

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

simonm16p6
K26-2

10-09-2014, 04:41 AM #1
I'm fitting an OM605 in an old 70's Rover, the engine is in and runs from a can, now I need to plumb the fuel lines in to use the original tank. What I want to know is what people would recommend for starting from scratch, the fuel tank has the outlet at the base, and provision for flow and return.

My thinking is to have a filter immediately below the outlet before a fuel pump underneath the tank, then the lines go to another diesel type canister filter in the engine bay then into the injection pump. I'm thinking that the return line will go straight back to the tank and job done.

What size fuel lines, type of fuel pump and pressure should I be looking for, and any other advice that will relate to the requirements of the Mercedes engines?

1971 Rover P6 2000 project OM605 compound charged conversion
1975 Land Rover series 3 OM606 project
simonm16p6
10-09-2014, 04:41 AM #1

I'm fitting an OM605 in an old 70's Rover, the engine is in and runs from a can, now I need to plumb the fuel lines in to use the original tank. What I want to know is what people would recommend for starting from scratch, the fuel tank has the outlet at the base, and provision for flow and return.

My thinking is to have a filter immediately below the outlet before a fuel pump underneath the tank, then the lines go to another diesel type canister filter in the engine bay then into the injection pump. I'm thinking that the return line will go straight back to the tank and job done.

What size fuel lines, type of fuel pump and pressure should I be looking for, and any other advice that will relate to the requirements of the Mercedes engines?

starynovy
Holset

10-09-2014, 05:36 AM #2
8mm hoses will suffice no problem. You don´t really need an electric pump, but it won´t hurt, pick something original suited for non CR diesel, these are mostly low pressure like 0.1Bar with flow 100L/h+, BOSCH states only one condition for feeding a pump and that is, "limitless" amount of fuel available at all times. Also why two filters in row? Those rotary electric pumps can do with fine mesh to stop bigger chunks of black shit found in fuel tanks. Just fit can filter ex. MANN WK820/1 behind lift pump of IP and you are fine. Return straight back to tank is also fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
10-09-2014, 05:36 AM #2

8mm hoses will suffice no problem. You don´t really need an electric pump, but it won´t hurt, pick something original suited for non CR diesel, these are mostly low pressure like 0.1Bar with flow 100L/h+, BOSCH states only one condition for feeding a pump and that is, "limitless" amount of fuel available at all times. Also why two filters in row? Those rotary electric pumps can do with fine mesh to stop bigger chunks of black shit found in fuel tanks. Just fit can filter ex. MANN WK820/1 behind lift pump of IP and you are fine. Return straight back to tank is also fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW

F.R.A.S
Holset

10-09-2014, 06:48 AM #3
You could fit a filter back at the tank but a pressure pump like the Bosch 044 don't like to suck fuel at all. In your case I would mount the filter the way you thought and then go with the original lift pump on the IP. That fuel I would use to fill a catch tank in the engine bay and then feed the IP with maybe a 044 or similar high pressure pump. Then controll the pressure with a FPR on the return line.

But that depends on your power goal and so on.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
10-09-2014, 06:48 AM #3

You could fit a filter back at the tank but a pressure pump like the Bosch 044 don't like to suck fuel at all. In your case I would mount the filter the way you thought and then go with the original lift pump on the IP. That fuel I would use to fill a catch tank in the engine bay and then feed the IP with maybe a 044 or similar high pressure pump. Then controll the pressure with a FPR on the return line.

But that depends on your power goal and so on.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-09-2014, 07:32 AM #4
I used 3/8" seamless stainless for supply and return with A/N bulkhead fittings when it needed to pass through sheet metal and 5/16" viton fuel line where necessary. The 617 lift pump and fuel filters were kept. There are a lot of billet fuel line holders and separators available pretty cheap too. I like pretty plumbing.
raysorenson
10-09-2014, 07:32 AM #4

I used 3/8" seamless stainless for supply and return with A/N bulkhead fittings when it needed to pass through sheet metal and 5/16" viton fuel line where necessary. The 617 lift pump and fuel filters were kept. There are a lot of billet fuel line holders and separators available pretty cheap too. I like pretty plumbing.

simonm16p6
K26-2

10-09-2014, 08:16 AM #5
Thanks for the replies, it's just that I've seen references to fitting a Bosch 044 pump which has got me thinking, what does the injection pump like to have fed into it? I've run a couple of diesels from Facet red top pumps in the past, my Land Rover with OM606 is running like that now, but that's not on the road yet.

I've had fuel starvation issues with multiple pumps on other cars, so a little paranoid of either getting too much or too little fuel up to the front. I want the system as simple as possible, with as little plumbing as I can get away with.

If I was to fit a Facet red top which already has a half decent filter built in underneath the fuel tank (it's high up above the back axle so gravity primes) piped to the front with 8mm lines, through the mechanical lift pump then through a filter and into the injection pump, that should flow enough fuel to feed even a Dieselmeken pump? So does the pump like a specific pressure of fuel which would be metered by a regulator mounted on the outlet of the injection pump to the return line back to the tank?

simonm16p6
10-09-2014, 08:16 AM #5

Thanks for the replies, it's just that I've seen references to fitting a Bosch 044 pump which has got me thinking, what does the injection pump like to have fed into it? I've run a couple of diesels from Facet red top pumps in the past, my Land Rover with OM606 is running like that now, but that's not on the road yet.

I've had fuel starvation issues with multiple pumps on other cars, so a little paranoid of either getting too much or too little fuel up to the front. I want the system as simple as possible, with as little plumbing as I can get away with.

If I was to fit a Facet red top which already has a half decent filter built in underneath the fuel tank (it's high up above the back axle so gravity primes) piped to the front with 8mm lines, through the mechanical lift pump then through a filter and into the injection pump, that should flow enough fuel to feed even a Dieselmeken pump? So does the pump like a specific pressure of fuel which would be metered by a regulator mounted on the outlet of the injection pump to the return line back to the tank?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average