STD Tuning Drivetrain Help me learn about 6-speeds (W201 / OM602 turbo)

Help me learn about 6-speeds (W201 / OM602 turbo)

Help me learn about 6-speeds (W201 / OM602 turbo)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jetmugg
GT2256V

10-08-2014, 04:57 PM #1
This winter, my '93 W201 turbodiesel will be off the road for a while for some much deserved restoration/maintenance duties. This work will be mainly suspension rebuilding, but I'd like to also address a transmission leak, the worn-out feeling shifter and linkage, as well as a general "sprucing up".

One thing that I've been daydreaming about lately is swapping in a more modern 6-speed in place of the 275,000 mile 5-speed that's in the car now.

Anyone with practical advice about swapping a manual 6-speed trans into a 190E/D car (W201): I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Steve.
Jetmugg
10-08-2014, 04:57 PM #1

This winter, my '93 W201 turbodiesel will be off the road for a while for some much deserved restoration/maintenance duties. This work will be mainly suspension rebuilding, but I'd like to also address a transmission leak, the worn-out feeling shifter and linkage, as well as a general "sprucing up".

One thing that I've been daydreaming about lately is swapping in a more modern 6-speed in place of the 275,000 mile 5-speed that's in the car now.

Anyone with practical advice about swapping a manual 6-speed trans into a 190E/D car (W201): I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Steve.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-08-2014, 09:42 PM #2
Totally not what you asked, but get the hedgehog motorsports poly suspension stuff before shelling out for stock rubber replacement stuff.
raysorenson
10-08-2014, 09:42 PM #2

Totally not what you asked, but get the hedgehog motorsports poly suspension stuff before shelling out for stock rubber replacement stuff.

Jetmugg
GT2256V

10-09-2014, 07:11 AM #3
I already have the Hedgehog bushings in several plastic bags, waiting on my workbench for installation.

Steve.
Jetmugg
10-09-2014, 07:11 AM #3

I already have the Hedgehog bushings in several plastic bags, waiting on my workbench for installation.

Steve.

mbz123
GT2256V

10-16-2014, 02:11 AM #4
Here's some practical advice:

Send me the old five speed setup when you're finished, I'll even cover shipping fees. 8-D

Seriously, it doesn't seem to complex. Standard to standard and all. Things like shifter assy., linkage, front prop shaft and maybe crossmember will be different. Not sure on the clutch and related parts. Look into the gearing, could be looking at a diff too? depending on your application/drive style. A Sunday driver might just hit the easy jackpot, bolt up n go. Another thing to research is dims. You'll wanna know if a new hole on top of the tunnel is necessary, how much the drive shaft has to change and selecting a crossmember will be cake.

Keep us in the loop. Tagged.

MBZ123
mbz123
10-16-2014, 02:11 AM #4

Here's some practical advice:

Send me the old five speed setup when you're finished, I'll even cover shipping fees. 8-D

Seriously, it doesn't seem to complex. Standard to standard and all. Things like shifter assy., linkage, front prop shaft and maybe crossmember will be different. Not sure on the clutch and related parts. Look into the gearing, could be looking at a diff too? depending on your application/drive style. A Sunday driver might just hit the easy jackpot, bolt up n go. Another thing to research is dims. You'll wanna know if a new hole on top of the tunnel is necessary, how much the drive shaft has to change and selecting a crossmember will be cake.

Keep us in the loop. Tagged.

MBZ123

Jetmugg
GT2256V

10-20-2014, 01:41 PM #5
Yes, you have pretty much nailed all of the questions (physical dimensions, shifter, crossmember, shaft, flywheel, etc). I'm hoping to find someone with the answers to those questions - hopefully someone who has actually done the swap.

Steve.
Jetmugg
10-20-2014, 01:41 PM #5

Yes, you have pretty much nailed all of the questions (physical dimensions, shifter, crossmember, shaft, flywheel, etc). I'm hoping to find someone with the answers to those questions - hopefully someone who has actually done the swap.

Steve.

F.R.A.S
Holset

10-21-2014, 10:39 AM #6
So Steve Smile

The Mercedes gearbox, like the one from a 230-kompressor will bolt right on to the engine. How ever they are made for dual mass flywheels and the problem don't stop there. The dual mass flywheel gearboxes has a shorter input shaft and the input shaft bearing usually in the crank is relocated to the flywheel.

How ever, finding a complete clutch setup with flywheel from the same type of car that you're using the gearbox from has to be the most easy way to do it. YES, the flywheel bolt right up Smile

Otherwise there are always the option of going BMW ZF like the awesome little gs6 37dz that is strong enough to outmaneuver any Mercedes gearbox but still quite small. With a re-welded gearbox of that kind you're home free, even with a lightweight single mass flywheel as the ones we usually makes.

Linkage you should get from the same type of car as the trans so you have something you know works and then modify it to fit.

A custom propshaft if needed is quite cheap, at least from UK where we order it. Has to be the same in the US.

Best regards / F
This post was last modified: 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM by F.R.A.S.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
10-21-2014, 10:39 AM #6

So Steve Smile

The Mercedes gearbox, like the one from a 230-kompressor will bolt right on to the engine. How ever they are made for dual mass flywheels and the problem don't stop there. The dual mass flywheel gearboxes has a shorter input shaft and the input shaft bearing usually in the crank is relocated to the flywheel.

How ever, finding a complete clutch setup with flywheel from the same type of car that you're using the gearbox from has to be the most easy way to do it. YES, the flywheel bolt right up Smile

Otherwise there are always the option of going BMW ZF like the awesome little gs6 37dz that is strong enough to outmaneuver any Mercedes gearbox but still quite small. With a re-welded gearbox of that kind you're home free, even with a lightweight single mass flywheel as the ones we usually makes.

Linkage you should get from the same type of car as the trans so you have something you know works and then modify it to fit.

A custom propshaft if needed is quite cheap, at least from UK where we order it. Has to be the same in the US.

Best regards / F

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-22-2014, 07:34 AM #7
Yeah rob everything from the 230K donor. Simples.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-22-2014, 07:34 AM #7

Yeah rob everything from the 230K donor. Simples.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Jetmugg
GT2256V

10-22-2014, 11:04 AM #8
F:

Thanks for the info re: Dual mass flywheels and re-welding options. I'd really like to have a slick-shifting trans in this car. I think that would make it more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis.

Right now, I'm going through a lot of questions with this car. Mainly - should I keep it and update it (suspension, trans, engine oil leak, interior issues), or sell it and move onto something newer and nicer.

If I can source the correct "junkyard" trans, shifter, flywheel, clutch, then I'd be willing to undertake the transmission portion of the project. If I spend too much money on this car, however, it will tie up money that could be used on other projects. This is the dichotomy with which we are all familiar.

Custom driveshaft is not a big deal here, either. Just some lathe work and welding.

Now I'm back to thinking about the 6-speed swap and searching for a proper donor.

Steve.
Jetmugg
10-22-2014, 11:04 AM #8

F:

Thanks for the info re: Dual mass flywheels and re-welding options. I'd really like to have a slick-shifting trans in this car. I think that would make it more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis.

Right now, I'm going through a lot of questions with this car. Mainly - should I keep it and update it (suspension, trans, engine oil leak, interior issues), or sell it and move onto something newer and nicer.

If I can source the correct "junkyard" trans, shifter, flywheel, clutch, then I'd be willing to undertake the transmission portion of the project. If I spend too much money on this car, however, it will tie up money that could be used on other projects. This is the dichotomy with which we are all familiar.

Custom driveshaft is not a big deal here, either. Just some lathe work and welding.

Now I'm back to thinking about the 6-speed swap and searching for a proper donor.

Steve.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-22-2014, 02:59 PM #9
You won't get a speedo cable with a 6 speed. An electronic tach *edit*, I meant to say speedo, from an 8cyl 124 might fit your cluster. Then you'll have to make a signal for it. One guy welded 4 ribs on his driveshaft and mounted a VR sensor to measure. It worked. His writeup is on peachparts.

The shifter bracket may have to be shortened. Cutting and rewelding dirty cast aluminum. If your welding skills are up to it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I actually turn over getting rid of my dogleg trans and installing a 6 speed just to get the dual mass flywheel. The torsional vibrations annoy me at certain rpm's and loads.
This post was last modified: 10-22-2014, 04:27 PM by raysorenson.
raysorenson
10-22-2014, 02:59 PM #9

You won't get a speedo cable with a 6 speed. An electronic tach *edit*, I meant to say speedo, from an 8cyl 124 might fit your cluster. Then you'll have to make a signal for it. One guy welded 4 ribs on his driveshaft and mounted a VR sensor to measure. It worked. His writeup is on peachparts.

The shifter bracket may have to be shortened. Cutting and rewelding dirty cast aluminum. If your welding skills are up to it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I actually turn over getting rid of my dogleg trans and installing a 6 speed just to get the dual mass flywheel. The torsional vibrations annoy me at certain rpm's and loads.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average