STD Tuning Engine Electronics questions on 606 conversion to mechanical pump

Electronics questions on 606 conversion to mechanical pump

Electronics questions on 606 conversion to mechanical pump

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tubularfab
Naturally-aspirated

10-02-2014, 12:41 PM #1
Ok, I've tried searching, but for some reason the search links don't work for me on this site. I'm looking at switching to a mechanical pump on a 1997 NA 210, but wondered about the ramifications of making the switch. What has to be done to make the rest of the car "happy" when you switch pumps like that? Does the electronic tranny need engine computer feedback to function properly? (for that matter, does the tranny have a separate ecu?)

Thank you,
Jason
Tubularfab
10-02-2014, 12:41 PM #1

Ok, I've tried searching, but for some reason the search links don't work for me on this site. I'm looking at switching to a mechanical pump on a 1997 NA 210, but wondered about the ramifications of making the switch. What has to be done to make the rest of the car "happy" when you switch pumps like that? Does the electronic tranny need engine computer feedback to function properly? (for that matter, does the tranny have a separate ecu?)

Thank you,
Jason

Petar
7.5mm M pump

10-02-2014, 03:13 PM #2
The 722.6 transmission won't work with the mechanical pump, not with the stock gearbox controller.
Why would you want to switch to a mechanical pump ? Only makes sense if you are going for crazy power.
Petar
10-02-2014, 03:13 PM #2

The 722.6 transmission won't work with the mechanical pump, not with the stock gearbox controller.
Why would you want to switch to a mechanical pump ? Only makes sense if you are going for crazy power.

Tubularfab
Naturally-aspirated

10-02-2014, 09:26 PM #3
That's what I was afraid of. I've been battling EGR issues for the entire year I've owned the car and am sick of the computer defueling because an emissions light is on. The system works - making it really hard to diagnose - but occasionally fails the egr self test. When it foes I get p0120 and p0400 and severely reduced power above 3000rpms. The car is almost dangerous when it derates itself - the NA has to see 4000rpms to have any power. I can it believe they refuel based on egr! I can also tell at other points in the rpm range the car holds back on fueling with occasional bursts of better power. I just don't like the computer having so much control...
This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 09:26 PM by Tubularfab.
Tubularfab
10-02-2014, 09:26 PM #3

That's what I was afraid of. I've been battling EGR issues for the entire year I've owned the car and am sick of the computer defueling because an emissions light is on. The system works - making it really hard to diagnose - but occasionally fails the egr self test. When it foes I get p0120 and p0400 and severely reduced power above 3000rpms. The car is almost dangerous when it derates itself - the NA has to see 4000rpms to have any power. I can it believe they refuel based on egr! I can also tell at other points in the rpm range the car holds back on fueling with occasional bursts of better power. I just don't like the computer having so much control...

diesel2fast4u
GT2256V

10-03-2014, 02:34 AM #4
(10-02-2014, 09:26 PM)Tubularfab That's what I was afraid of. I've been battling EGR issues for the entire year I've owned the car and am sick of the computer defueling because an emissions light is on. The system works - making it really hard to diagnose - but occasionally fails the egr self test. When it foes I get p0120 and p0400 and severely reduced power above 3000rpms. The car is almost dangerous when it derates itself - the NA has to see 4000rpms to have any power. I can it believe they refuel based on egr! I can also tell at other points in the rpm range the car holds back on fueling with occasional bursts of better power. I just don't like the computer having so much control...

Why don't you do a EGR delete then?

Grand cherokee WK (OM642)
diesel2fast4u
10-03-2014, 02:34 AM #4

(10-02-2014, 09:26 PM)Tubularfab That's what I was afraid of. I've been battling EGR issues for the entire year I've owned the car and am sick of the computer defueling because an emissions light is on. The system works - making it really hard to diagnose - but occasionally fails the egr self test. When it foes I get p0120 and p0400 and severely reduced power above 3000rpms. The car is almost dangerous when it derates itself - the NA has to see 4000rpms to have any power. I can it believe they refuel based on egr! I can also tell at other points in the rpm range the car holds back on fueling with occasional bursts of better power. I just don't like the computer having so much control...

Why don't you do a EGR delete then?

Grand cherokee WK (OM642)

Tubularfab
Naturally-aspirated

10-03-2014, 05:29 AM #5
The EGR delete I've seen on here with the resistor and diode is for the 1998 - 99 turbo version of the car, which I believe uses a MAF sensor. The 1997 is completely different, and I have not seen anyone that has successfully gotten around the computer running the self test... But I'm VERY open to hearing from someone that has!

I did do the EGR bypass, so at least I don't have exhaust flowing through it any more. I just want the computer part gone!
Tubularfab
10-03-2014, 05:29 AM #5

The EGR delete I've seen on here with the resistor and diode is for the 1998 - 99 turbo version of the car, which I believe uses a MAF sensor. The 1997 is completely different, and I have not seen anyone that has successfully gotten around the computer running the self test... But I'm VERY open to hearing from someone that has!

I did do the EGR bypass, so at least I don't have exhaust flowing through it any more. I just want the computer part gone!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average