STD Tuning Engine header tube length

header tube length

header tube length

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Edian727
Dreams of 8mm 617

09-17-2014, 12:36 AM #1
Been spending a lot of time working on header design. Don't have a solid plan yet. so a couple question's for anyone who has some input. This is for a om616 in a w123. id like to get it tuning between 2500-3500.

1. header length, so far i've been around 20". collector is 5 inches to turbo(small transition at the ends)

2. tube size, i bought 1.5 od 16g tubing. that 1 3/8 id, witch is really close to the port size actaully. i wanna leave a little room to expand(i have dreams of a compound setup, ported head, ect.)

3. turbo placement. not sure on this at all, but cloer to the front would be better(less tubing 4 intercooler)

Lookin for some input, thanks gusy Smile
Edian727
09-17-2014, 12:36 AM #1

Been spending a lot of time working on header design. Don't have a solid plan yet. so a couple question's for anyone who has some input. This is for a om616 in a w123. id like to get it tuning between 2500-3500.

1. header length, so far i've been around 20". collector is 5 inches to turbo(small transition at the ends)

2. tube size, i bought 1.5 od 16g tubing. that 1 3/8 id, witch is really close to the port size actaully. i wanna leave a little room to expand(i have dreams of a compound setup, ported head, ect.)

3. turbo placement. not sure on this at all, but cloer to the front would be better(less tubing 4 intercooler)

Lookin for some input, thanks gusy Smile

baldur
Fast

09-17-2014, 06:11 AM #2
To make an educated guess at the ideal header length one has to consider the cam duration and exhaust temperature along with port depth as you want the low pressure pulse reflected from the collector to arrive at the valve around last quarter of the exhaust stroke. In any case it's not really that important on a turbo engine and with the operating speed of a diesel you'll find you need excessively long headers to get the pulse scavenging working. You're probably better off just focusing on good (and equal) flow when it comes to the header.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
09-17-2014, 06:11 AM #2

To make an educated guess at the ideal header length one has to consider the cam duration and exhaust temperature along with port depth as you want the low pressure pulse reflected from the collector to arrive at the valve around last quarter of the exhaust stroke. In any case it's not really that important on a turbo engine and with the operating speed of a diesel you'll find you need excessively long headers to get the pulse scavenging working. You're probably better off just focusing on good (and equal) flow when it comes to the header.

Baldur Gislason

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average