STD Tuning Engine How to determine low wear om617

How to determine low wear om617

How to determine low wear om617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Evenglass
GT2256V

09-15-2014, 08:52 AM #1
I've got to pick the 2 best engines out of 4 om617's on stands. Second to compression check I think timing chain stretch to be the best indicator of wear (only with original chain). Is my thinking flawed or is there a better (simple) way to pick the best engine.
Evenglass
09-15-2014, 08:52 AM #1

I've got to pick the 2 best engines out of 4 om617's on stands. Second to compression check I think timing chain stretch to be the best indicator of wear (only with original chain). Is my thinking flawed or is there a better (simple) way to pick the best engine.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

09-15-2014, 12:33 PM #2
If they were running I would say check blowby, otherwise if you can get a hold of a leakdown tester that would also be pretty beneficial

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
09-15-2014, 12:33 PM #2

If they were running I would say check blowby, otherwise if you can get a hold of a leakdown tester that would also be pretty beneficial

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

winmutt
bitbanger

09-15-2014, 01:05 PM #3
http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Inspection-Ca...tion+scope, probably need something smaller to get into the GP hole and down.
This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM by winmutt.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
09-15-2014, 01:05 PM #3

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Inspection-Ca...tion+scope, probably need something smaller to get into the GP hole and down.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

barrote
Superturbo

09-15-2014, 03:36 PM #4
choose the ones wich were not open, u can see wrench marks on the bolt heads.
is a good indicator that the engine was not abused previously, and then compare with compression press.
not open max com press.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
09-15-2014, 03:36 PM #4

choose the ones wich were not open, u can see wrench marks on the bolt heads.
is a good indicator that the engine was not abused previously, and then compare with compression press.
not open max com press.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

mbz123
GT2256V

09-16-2014, 06:26 AM #5
This:
(09-15-2014, 12:33 PM)sassparilla_kid get a hold of a leakdown tester that would also be pretty beneficial
Ideally, you would get them started/running on the stand before leakdown testing since running test at operating temp is highest verbosity. Even on a cold engine, a leakdown is the better strategy as this will still possibly help locate sources of wear. Unnecessary, but you can reconfig the tester if you absolutely need a compression test. And save the consumables/labor by not removing the front cover, you can get chain stretch using other methods.

(09-15-2014, 03:36 PM)barrote choose the ones wich were not open, u can see wrench marks on the bolt heads.
not open max com press.
regards

+1

Sage advice. A pro will replace items (read: cover tracks) like head bolts/studs and no one's the wiser until daylight shines. Is why they're pros. Wink

MBZ123
mbz123
09-16-2014, 06:26 AM #5

This:

(09-15-2014, 12:33 PM)sassparilla_kid get a hold of a leakdown tester that would also be pretty beneficial
Ideally, you would get them started/running on the stand before leakdown testing since running test at operating temp is highest verbosity. Even on a cold engine, a leakdown is the better strategy as this will still possibly help locate sources of wear. Unnecessary, but you can reconfig the tester if you absolutely need a compression test. And save the consumables/labor by not removing the front cover, you can get chain stretch using other methods.

(09-15-2014, 03:36 PM)barrote choose the ones wich were not open, u can see wrench marks on the bolt heads.
not open max com press.
regards

+1

Sage advice. A pro will replace items (read: cover tracks) like head bolts/studs and no one's the wiser until daylight shines. Is why they're pros. Wink

MBZ123

barrote
Superturbo

09-16-2014, 07:43 AM #6
yep ,
i bet the fellow in the junk yard will replace bolts on the engine cover, by what new ones, or old ones removed with wrench marks???
i bet some fellows that post here can´t see the diff btw a bolt and a nut!!!
magic is on the hiding not on the trick!!!
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
09-16-2014, 07:43 AM #6

yep ,
i bet the fellow in the junk yard will replace bolts on the engine cover, by what new ones, or old ones removed with wrench marks???
i bet some fellows that post here can´t see the diff btw a bolt and a nut!!!
magic is on the hiding not on the trick!!!
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

winmutt
bitbanger

09-16-2014, 08:14 AM #7
The sage advice is just be prepared to have one engine out of two!

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
09-16-2014, 08:14 AM #7

The sage advice is just be prepared to have one engine out of two!

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

mbz123
GT2256V

09-16-2014, 09:27 AM #8
(09-16-2014, 07:43 AM)barrote the fellow in the junk yard

Ahhh, I missed the part where it said the motors in question came from the wrecker.

In that case cross fingers and hope for this:
(09-16-2014, 08:14 AM)winmutt be prepared to have one engine out of two!

I meant more along the lines of cylinder head bolts and the like. Higher level work and shadetrees halfazzing that kinda work. FWIW, I've removed valve cover bolts repeatedly without any marring to them so relying on that to guage condition is unreliable at best.

(09-16-2014, 07:43 AM)barrote magic is on the hiding not on the trick!!!

Very true. I know this from experience. A lesson for which I paid dearly.

OP = for the record, a compression test on a cold engine is basically worthless. It will tell you whether your numbers are within spec IF those numbers even exist. An engine at operating temp tells no lies.

Can't be bothered you say? OK, invert the motors on stand, remove the oil pan and have a go with the brake cleaner and feeler gauges for the least expensive path. Your money, your decision.

O BTW, where are you located and what do you intend on doing with the two that don't make the cut?

MBZ123
mbz123
09-16-2014, 09:27 AM #8

Ahhh, I missed the part where it said the motors in question came from the wrecker.

I meant more along the lines of cylinder head bolts and the like. Higher level work and shadetrees halfazzing that kinda work. FWIW, I've removed valve cover bolts repeatedly without any marring to them so relying on that to guage condition is unreliable at best.

OP = for the record, a compression test on a cold engine is basically worthless. It will tell you whether your numbers are within spec IF those numbers even exist. An engine at operating temp tells no lies.

Can't be bothered you say? OK, invert the motors on stand, remove the oil pan and have a go with the brake cleaner and feeler gauges for the least expensive path. Your money, your decision.

O BTW, where are you located and what do you intend on doing with the two that don't make the cut?

MBZ123

barrote
Superturbo

09-16-2014, 01:16 PM #9
where i am, we start the engine in top of a table, lissen to it, watch is behaviour, buy it or sent it to the scrap shreder Big Grin. that´s how we do it in here, but maybe u can´t do it where u are, but i understand u´re still in the 61X era. Wink
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
09-16-2014, 01:16 PM #9

where i am, we start the engine in top of a table, lissen to it, watch is behaviour, buy it or sent it to the scrap shreder Big Grin. that´s how we do it in here, but maybe u can´t do it where u are, but i understand u´re still in the 61X era. Wink
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

09-18-2014, 03:48 AM #10
Read a crystall ball... Or open them up. Compression test, determine chain stretch - then of with the head & oil pan. Inspect & measure bores, inspect & measure big & smal ends.

And only then you know for sure what you have.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
09-18-2014, 03:48 AM #10

Read a crystall ball... Or open them up. Compression test, determine chain stretch - then of with the head & oil pan. Inspect & measure bores, inspect & measure big & smal ends.

And only then you know for sure what you have.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

Evenglass
GT2256V

09-18-2014, 01:07 PM #11
Here's the situation. A friend of mine has 4 of these on stands and has asked me to help him determine the best 2 of the 4. Starting the engine(s) is not an option so warm compression testing is out. He's been collecting these for some time and at least three came out of running vehicle's. Just looking for a quick and dirty method to pick the engines to start with. Worst case scenario I pick the wrong one and a 2000 year old night tells me "he chose poorly" and I turn to dust.

My personal engine came out of my daily driver 300d with 162k original, bought the car just for an engine I knew ran well so i didn't have to mess around .  Here's  my build http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engi...hread.html

(09-16-2014, 01:16 PM)barrote where i am, we start the engine in top of a table, lissen to it, watch is behaviour, buy it or sent it to the scrap shreder Big Grin. that´s how we do it in here, but maybe u can´t do it where u are, but i understand u´re still in the 61X era. Wink
regards

Although I would love a 606, it will not work easily for our purposes, check the build link I posted.

(09-16-2014, 09:27 AM)mbz123

MBZ123

Located in Florida. Gonna build two Cherokee's identical to mine as seen here
http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engi...hread.html

Not sure what will become of the ones that don't make the cut.
This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 01:12 PM by Evenglass.
Evenglass
09-18-2014, 01:07 PM #11

Here's the situation. A friend of mine has 4 of these on stands and has asked me to help him determine the best 2 of the 4. Starting the engine(s) is not an option so warm compression testing is out. He's been collecting these for some time and at least three came out of running vehicle's. Just looking for a quick and dirty method to pick the engines to start with. Worst case scenario I pick the wrong one and a 2000 year old night tells me "he chose poorly" and I turn to dust.

My personal engine came out of my daily driver 300d with 162k original, bought the car just for an engine I knew ran well so i didn't have to mess around .  Here's  my build http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engi...hread.html

(09-16-2014, 01:16 PM)barrote where i am, we start the engine in top of a table, lissen to it, watch is behaviour, buy it or sent it to the scrap shreder Big Grin. that´s how we do it in here, but maybe u can´t do it where u are, but i understand u´re still in the 61X era. Wink
regards

Although I would love a 606, it will not work easily for our purposes, check the build link I posted.

(09-16-2014, 09:27 AM)mbz123

MBZ123

Located in Florida. Gonna build two Cherokee's identical to mine as seen here
http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engi...hread.html

Not sure what will become of the ones that don't make the cut.

barrote
Superturbo

09-18-2014, 03:37 PM #12
i see your point EVENGLASS,
in here we just run like hell from thiss cherokee´s, they just stink problems.
in my cuntry is very dificult to install a diff engine in a car , even having a N/A to TD envolves a lot of coloured papers and Money,
What i dont understand is WHY, are u guys having that all trouble to install a WWII type engine in a cross country vehicle
have u ever considered installing a Toyota 4.0 v6 or even the 3.5 DOHC 4 cyl. wich are far better engines than a 61X series engines.
i would understood if u install a 602/3 instead of 605/6, cause of thoughness reasons, even that is quite arguable that a 602 last more than a 605, but the power hum is like changing from a horse to a English race horse.
regards

FD,