STD Tuning Drivetrain Bowden Cable Did Not Return

Bowden Cable Did Not Return

Bowden Cable Did Not Return

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JVance
GTA2056V

09-13-2014, 03:38 PM #1
After a spirited WOT acceleration (in the loosest sense of the word), my transmission would no longer upshift before 4000 rpm. When I got to work, I inspected the bowden cable at the throttle linkage/lever assembly, and the cable had not returned; I also was unable to feed it back into the housing, suggesting it is stuck near the "WOT" position at the transmission. Granted, I haven't yet removed the cable from the transmission (I am still at work, so I have a high RPM drive to return home before I am able), but I wanted to poll the brain trust here to get an idea of what kind of repair I am looking at.

This is a 1993 300D (2.5 turbo, 722.3? trans); I'll be looking at something similar to this: [Image: 8372649776_d2424c68a2_b.jpg]

Is there a return spring in the cable assembly (this doesn't seem to be the case from pictures of replacement bowden cables I've seen), or is the return spring inside the transmission (e.g. pan removal?)? Or am I looking at a more extensive repair?

Thanks in advance for your help!
This post was last modified: 09-13-2014, 03:39 PM by JVance.
JVance
09-13-2014, 03:38 PM #1

After a spirited WOT acceleration (in the loosest sense of the word), my transmission would no longer upshift before 4000 rpm. When I got to work, I inspected the bowden cable at the throttle linkage/lever assembly, and the cable had not returned; I also was unable to feed it back into the housing, suggesting it is stuck near the "WOT" position at the transmission. Granted, I haven't yet removed the cable from the transmission (I am still at work, so I have a high RPM drive to return home before I am able), but I wanted to poll the brain trust here to get an idea of what kind of repair I am looking at.

This is a 1993 300D (2.5 turbo, 722.3? trans); I'll be looking at something similar to this: [Image: 8372649776_d2424c68a2_b.jpg]

Is there a return spring in the cable assembly (this doesn't seem to be the case from pictures of replacement bowden cables I've seen), or is the return spring inside the transmission (e.g. pan removal?)? Or am I looking at a more extensive repair?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JVance
GTA2056V

09-14-2014, 03:28 PM #2
Update:
I dropped the pan and inspected the lever that depresses the piston on the valve-body. There was a chunk of aluminum wedged between the top of the valve body and the lever, preventing it from returning to its resting position (and preventing the Bowden cable from returning).
I don't know where this broken piece of aluminum came from, whether it broke off the inside of the transmission, or whether the shop who replaced the trans fluid and filter put it there (from what I can assume, based on the previous owner's account, this might be the case...the Bowden cable and vacuum bleed were badly adjusted when I bought the car, which no competent shop would have done). I'll post a few pics of the chunk later this evening. If anybody cares.
JVance
09-14-2014, 03:28 PM #2

Update:
I dropped the pan and inspected the lever that depresses the piston on the valve-body. There was a chunk of aluminum wedged between the top of the valve body and the lever, preventing it from returning to its resting position (and preventing the Bowden cable from returning).
I don't know where this broken piece of aluminum came from, whether it broke off the inside of the transmission, or whether the shop who replaced the trans fluid and filter put it there (from what I can assume, based on the previous owner's account, this might be the case...the Bowden cable and vacuum bleed were badly adjusted when I bought the car, which no competent shop would have done). I'll post a few pics of the chunk later this evening. If anybody cares.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average