STD Tuning Drivetrain 717 trans input shaft swapping?

717 trans input shaft swapping?

717 trans input shaft swapping?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

09-12-2014, 11:02 PM #1
Curious if this is possible? I have a 717.410 and a 717.432 trans. I know the .432 is the stronger of the two, but I have a 16v flywheel and clutch which are single mass and won't work on the .432 trans as is.

Looked on EPC at the .430 trans, since I believe it is the same as the .432 just has the longer input shaft for the single mass setup, and it does not have the same part # as the .410 trans.

So I'm assuming (since I'm not really familiar with manual transmissions) that the input shaft gearing is different on these? Hoping I can swap them but not sure what the results will be...

Hoping the manual guru's can help me out. I've tried searching but can't come up with anything yet. Will continue searching in case I happen upon the golden goose....

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.
capflya
09-12-2014, 11:02 PM #1

Curious if this is possible? I have a 717.410 and a 717.432 trans. I know the .432 is the stronger of the two, but I have a 16v flywheel and clutch which are single mass and won't work on the .432 trans as is.

Looked on EPC at the .430 trans, since I believe it is the same as the .432 just has the longer input shaft for the single mass setup, and it does not have the same part # as the .410 trans.

So I'm assuming (since I'm not really familiar with manual transmissions) that the input shaft gearing is different on these? Hoping I can swap them but not sure what the results will be...

Hoping the manual guru's can help me out. I've tried searching but can't come up with anything yet. Will continue searching in case I happen upon the golden goose....

'98 E300 Turbo "Juliette" - Brabus wheels and almost all the options a w210 could have
'87 300D Turbo "Roxanne" - #22 head - 400E brakes - EGR Delete - 17" Staggered AMG 5 spoke rims from CLK500 - 5 Spd manual
2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax with about 400-500 rwhp depending on the tune I use Big Grin
1983 300D Silver Exterior/Black inside - Sold and will be missed, may we never meet in a PnP.

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-13-2014, 11:56 AM #2
I would check a few things.

If the gear ratios are the same between the 2 transmissions, it's likely the tooth count is the same.

Is the front bearing the same part# the same between the 2?

Is the front seal the same part#?

Is the needle bearing connecting the front input shaft and the output shaft the same?
raysorenson
09-13-2014, 11:56 AM #2

I would check a few things.

If the gear ratios are the same between the 2 transmissions, it's likely the tooth count is the same.

Is the front bearing the same part# the same between the 2?

Is the front seal the same part#?

Is the needle bearing connecting the front input shaft and the output shaft the same?

capflya
Dreaming of a VNT

09-13-2014, 04:36 PM #3
I know the ratios are different.. but not sure if that means it won't swap over? Might change the overall gearing but depending on how much that may not really matter.

My 2nd idea is just get the dual mass conversion flywheel if that would work with this trans. Issue is I already have a nice clutch from clutchnet for a 16v flywheel so not sure if that would work on the sprinter conversion flywheel.

I'll have to check the other items you mentioned. Not sure if the ratios being different is a deal breaker though.

capflya
09-13-2014, 04:36 PM #3

I know the ratios are different.. but not sure if that means it won't swap over? Might change the overall gearing but depending on how much that may not really matter.

My 2nd idea is just get the dual mass conversion flywheel if that would work with this trans. Issue is I already have a nice clutch from clutchnet for a 16v flywheel so not sure if that would work on the sprinter conversion flywheel.

I'll have to check the other items you mentioned. Not sure if the ratios being different is a deal breaker though.

barrote
Superturbo

09-14-2014, 04:09 PM #4
allo there,
this last days i became very expert in the 717 transmissions cause i had to rebuilt by .413
well i understood that the main shaft , primary shaft, is of two sizes . i rebuild my .413 from scrap found in a 416, and a 411. i manage to brake one gear, and went in a place where i found lots of main shafts and all of them had the same gear, the diff was the lenght, they were short or long, long shaft for single mass, and short for dual mass flywhell, the bad news is that u have to disasemble all the gear box to remove the main shaft intact. u should ask advice to do that is very tricky to disassemble , if u cant have advice proceed carrefuly.
if is your intention to change the flywheel u have to go for the shaft , 99% chance it will fit the .432.
the trick is that the main shaft looks it will come out alone, but is not possible, it must folow the fix gearing, the both shafts come toghether on the reverse side.
regards

FD,