STD Tuning Engine E 320 CDI fuel supply problems ??

E 320 CDI fuel supply problems ??

E 320 CDI fuel supply problems ??

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Boatbuilder
MSc

06-13-2014, 03:37 AM #1
Hello, I am really splitting my hair re fuel problems with my engine E 320 CDI , 613.961. Engine are converted to a marine engine and last season everything was ok and engine ran very good.
I have a large tank 600 l and an electric pump ( below 1 bar) which feeds the original fuel filter.

On startup the engine runs fine for approx 20 sec and then dead.
I have the Mb Star c3 diagnose and no fault on the Electronic system.
To be on the "safe side" I have also changed the pressure Control valve and the rail pressure sensor. On startup the pressure in the rail are approx 250 Bar and decrease during my 20 sec time of running.
Have also checked the power supply from ECU and internal resistance of the sensors. OK.

From the area of the high pressure pump and rail pressure sensor I can hear a "sound" when emgine stops but not able to identify what it is. Problems with Pre-delivery pump, high-pressure pump ??Idea Appreciate expert advice.
Boatbuilder
06-13-2014, 03:37 AM #1

Hello, I am really splitting my hair re fuel problems with my engine E 320 CDI , 613.961. Engine are converted to a marine engine and last season everything was ok and engine ran very good.
I have a large tank 600 l and an electric pump ( below 1 bar) which feeds the original fuel filter.

To be on the "safe side" I have also changed the pressure Control valve and the rail pressure sensor. On startup the pressure in the rail are approx 250 Bar and decrease during my 20 sec time of running.
Have also checked the power supply from ECU and internal resistance of the sensors. OK.

From the area of the high pressure pump and rail pressure sensor I can hear a "sound" when emgine stops but not able to identify what it is. Problems with Pre-delivery pump, high-pressure pump ??Idea Appreciate expert advice.

Turbo
Holset

06-14-2014, 06:57 AM #2
you are absolutely sure that the fuel filter do not leak?
Both my w210 270CDI om613 and W210 om613 I had/have problem with air entering the system and and problem getting air out of the system, the filter that come from w211 model when it is not possible to open help on my 270cdi and new gaskets to the high pressure pump, even the side connection for measuring fuel pressure(?) was leaking, the 320 I am working on now has similar problem. If you have the original plastic connection it is easy to see if air comes along. But this normally get them hard to start and power can be extreme under some situations. You have no mixing of diesel in oil in the engine?

(06-13-2014, 03:37 AM)Boatbuilder Hello, I am really splitting my hair re fuel problems with my engine E 320 CDI , 613.961. Engine are converted to a marine engine and last season everything was ok and engine ran very good.

This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 06:58 AM by Turbo.
Turbo
06-14-2014, 06:57 AM #2

you are absolutely sure that the fuel filter do not leak?
Both my w210 270CDI om613 and W210 om613 I had/have problem with air entering the system and and problem getting air out of the system, the filter that come from w211 model when it is not possible to open help on my 270cdi and new gaskets to the high pressure pump, even the side connection for measuring fuel pressure(?) was leaking, the 320 I am working on now has similar problem. If you have the original plastic connection it is easy to see if air comes along. But this normally get them hard to start and power can be extreme under some situations. You have no mixing of diesel in oil in the engine?

(06-13-2014, 03:37 AM)Boatbuilder Hello, I am really splitting my hair re fuel problems with my engine E 320 CDI , 613.961. Engine are converted to a marine engine and last season everything was ok and engine ran very good.

Boatbuilder
MSc

06-14-2014, 08:07 AM #3
Hello, I have changed fuel filter and gasket and pressurised the system, (0,4 Bar) and no fuel leaks. No airbobles either in the plastic lines. To be sure I have put on another high prsssure pump, pre-delivery pump , stop valve (also taken off the contact plug).
basically I have checked and changed everything.
(Took the parts from other engine I have which runs fine. )

-fuel delivery, fine
-rail sensors, fine
-high pressure pump, fine
-pre-delivery pump, fine
-stop valve, fine
-no air in the fuel lines

NO FAULT codes from Mb Star C3 either

Other ideas ????
Boatbuilder
06-14-2014, 08:07 AM #3

Hello, I have changed fuel filter and gasket and pressurised the system, (0,4 Bar) and no fuel leaks. No airbobles either in the plastic lines. To be sure I have put on another high prsssure pump, pre-delivery pump , stop valve (also taken off the contact plug).
basically I have checked and changed everything.
(Took the parts from other engine I have which runs fine. )

-fuel delivery, fine
-rail sensors, fine
-high pressure pump, fine
-pre-delivery pump, fine
-stop valve, fine
-no air in the fuel lines

NO FAULT codes from Mb Star C3 either

Other ideas ????

Druk
Holset

06-14-2014, 08:18 AM #4
I've got a 320CDi in a 211 and there is some sort of motorised manifold valve behind the fuel filter (as you look at it from the front) which makes a humming sound. I believe it's a flap motor but I'm not sure. Could that be your noise?
Druk
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM #4

I've got a 320CDi in a 211 and there is some sort of motorised manifold valve behind the fuel filter (as you look at it from the front) which makes a humming sound. I believe it's a flap motor but I'm not sure. Could that be your noise?

Turbo
Holset

06-14-2014, 12:34 PM #5
does engine do the same on idle and by load?
have you looked how the the return flow from the DRV valve looks like?
Turbo
06-14-2014, 12:34 PM #5

does engine do the same on idle and by load?

Boatbuilder
MSc

06-14-2014, 04:33 PM #6
(06-14-2014, 12:34 PM)Turbo does engine do the same on idle and by load?

Engine runs only for appr. 20 sec and then dead.Return fuel ok. Not possible to try under load, BUT, just before I finished my day I tried again and suddenly engine starts and runs as normal. Amazing. I still do not know what caused the problem or when/if the problem comes back.
Only thing I did was to control the TPS sensor and put my hand under the center of the inlet manifold and"touched" a wire or a vacuum line.
I tried several times to start again and engine runs fine. I was so happy and eager that I arrived 30 min. too late for a dinner party.
May be some sort of God helped me !!
I will investigate more tomorrow under the inlet manifold/M55 and look for loose wires/vaccum lines etc. and then take the boat out on the sea.
Still a mystery.
Boatbuilder
06-14-2014, 04:33 PM #6

Engine runs only for appr. 20 sec and then dead.Return fuel ok. Not possible to try under load, BUT, just before I finished my day I tried again and suddenly engine starts and runs as normal. Amazing. I still do not know what caused the problem or when/if the problem comes back.
Only thing I did was to control the TPS sensor and put my hand under the center of the inlet manifold and"touched" a wire or a vacuum line.
I tried several times to start again and engine runs fine. I was so happy and eager that I arrived 30 min. too late for a dinner party.
I will investigate more tomorrow under the inlet manifold/M55 and look for loose wires/vaccum lines etc. and then take the boat out on the sea.
Still a mystery.

Boatbuilder
MSc

06-16-2014, 08:42 AM #7
(06-14-2014, 04:33 PM)Boatbuilder

Still a mystery.

Hi, when I "touched" with my hand under the inlet manifold I disassembled one of the vacuum lines to the M55. The vacuum lines from the solenoid are divided in a Y and the the rear line are now disconnected and the engine starts and runs but lacking boost.
At least I am able to drive. Why is it two vacuum lines to the M55 motor ?? Would appreciate if somebody could explain ? The really strange here is that no fault code are logged !
So far thanks to Druck mentiong the motorised valve under the manifold. Problem now are not fuel supply but the M55 motor/flaps.
All answers are highly appreciated.
Boatbuilder
06-16-2014, 08:42 AM #7

(06-14-2014, 04:33 PM)Boatbuilder

Still a mystery.

Hi, when I "touched" with my hand under the inlet manifold I disassembled one of the vacuum lines to the M55. The vacuum lines from the solenoid are divided in a Y and the the rear line are now disconnected and the engine starts and runs but lacking boost.
At least I am able to drive. Why is it two vacuum lines to the M55 motor ?? Would appreciate if somebody could explain ? The really strange here is that no fault code are logged !
So far thanks to Druck mentiong the motorised valve under the manifold. Problem now are not fuel supply but the M55 motor/flaps.
All answers are highly appreciated.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average