STD Maintenance General Tachometer Broken

Tachometer Broken

Tachometer Broken

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Herrmanator8
Unregistered

07-31-2009, 01:28 PM #1
I have often read on this forum that Tachometers are an issue and usually dont work after a while. Mine hasnt worked in the last 20,000 Miles and I sould like to fix it. It sometimes turns on and works properly for a minute or two and then the needle drops and it quits. What would be a typical problem with this and what can I do to fix this without buying a whole new Tach?
Herrmanator8
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM #1

I have often read on this forum that Tachometers are an issue and usually dont work after a while. Mine hasnt worked in the last 20,000 Miles and I sould like to fix it. It sometimes turns on and works properly for a minute or two and then the needle drops and it quits. What would be a typical problem with this and what can I do to fix this without buying a whole new Tach?

ForcedInduction
Banned

07-31-2009, 02:54 PM #2
Its a round black cylinder on the left fender by the glowplug relay. Unscrew it, pull the center part out and put a piece of cardboard at the top. That often will push it down enough to make contact again.

Another option is to contact techguy512 and buy his $45 amp replacement.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...p?t=219949
ForcedInduction
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM #2

Its a round black cylinder on the left fender by the glowplug relay. Unscrew it, pull the center part out and put a piece of cardboard at the top. That often will push it down enough to make contact again.

Another option is to contact techguy512 and buy his $45 amp replacement.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/show...p?t=219949

greasenut
Dang Tree Hugger

08-13-2009, 01:23 PM #3
I have the same problem with mine. So far I pulled the plug apart, cleaned all the contacts, gave them a gentile squeeze so they are oblong (tighter fit to Tach Amp), and pulled the Tach Amp cap off and put cardboard up there. No real change. Next I cleaned all the silicone off of the top of the Tach Amp and re-soldered everything under a microscope. It now works about once a month.Angry

I know this is no real help, but the car has yet to leave me on the side of the road... so I keep the critical stuff going and leave the intermittent Tach alone. And it puts a smile on my face when it works for that 5 minutes each month.Big Grin
This post was last modified: 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM by greasenut.
greasenut
08-13-2009, 01:23 PM #3

I have the same problem with mine. So far I pulled the plug apart, cleaned all the contacts, gave them a gentile squeeze so they are oblong (tighter fit to Tach Amp), and pulled the Tach Amp cap off and put cardboard up there. No real change. Next I cleaned all the silicone off of the top of the Tach Amp and re-soldered everything under a microscope. It now works about once a month.Angry

I know this is no real help, but the car has yet to leave me on the side of the road... so I keep the critical stuff going and leave the intermittent Tach alone. And it puts a smile on my face when it works for that 5 minutes each month.Big Grin

TotalDiesel
Unregistered

08-13-2009, 02:12 PM #4
I did what ForcedInduction to me but instead with a stack of quarters. I started to smell like burning plastic after I started the car so I just threw the quarters out and torqued the cap down as hard as possible and the Tach has been working flawlessly since.
TotalDiesel
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM #4

I did what ForcedInduction to me but instead with a stack of quarters. I started to smell like burning plastic after I started the car so I just threw the quarters out and torqued the cap down as hard as possible and the Tach has been working flawlessly since.

greasenut
Dang Tree Hugger

08-14-2009, 09:38 AM #5
(08-13-2009, 02:12 PM)TotalDiesel I did what ForcedInduction to me but instead with a stack of quarters. I started to smell like burning plastic after I started the car so I just threw the quarters out and torqued the cap down as hard as possible and the Tach has been working flawlessly since.

I never get that lucky. So how many quarters did you use?
greasenut
08-14-2009, 09:38 AM #5

(08-13-2009, 02:12 PM)TotalDiesel I did what ForcedInduction to me but instead with a stack of quarters. I started to smell like burning plastic after I started the car so I just threw the quarters out and torqued the cap down as hard as possible and the Tach has been working flawlessly since.

I never get that lucky. So how many quarters did you use?

TotalDiesel
Unregistered

08-19-2009, 06:16 PM #6
I believe I used 4 because the quarters dont crush as cardboard. It worked well and then the thing started to smell like burning plastic because of it so it took them out and in my frustration i jammed the plug in and tightened till is almost stripped and its worked excellent and accurately since Big Grin
TotalDiesel
08-19-2009, 06:16 PM #6

I believe I used 4 because the quarters dont crush as cardboard. It worked well and then the thing started to smell like burning plastic because of it so it took them out and in my frustration i jammed the plug in and tightened till is almost stripped and its worked excellent and accurately since Big Grin

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average