STD Tuning Engine Holset Hx35 w/ Turbosmart IWG

Holset Hx35 w/ Turbosmart IWG

Holset Hx35 w/ Turbosmart IWG

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

martymcfly
Naturally-aspirated

02-22-2018, 03:33 PM #1
I recently bought a Holset HX35 for my 606 and it has the Internal Waste Gate. I wanted to add a nicer one and came across the Turbosmart version. From what I have found the mercedes factory setting on the wastegates is 12psi and the TS is 14psi or a 10 psi. Would I be safe in getting a 14psi version or will it cause back pressure and misfire? 

Here is what I am referring to?

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-...Actuators/

thanks in advance 
-Marty
martymcfly
02-22-2018, 03:33 PM #1

I recently bought a Holset HX35 for my 606 and it has the Internal Waste Gate. I wanted to add a nicer one and came across the Turbosmart version. From what I have found the mercedes factory setting on the wastegates is 12psi and the TS is 14psi or a 10 psi. Would I be safe in getting a 14psi version or will it cause back pressure and misfire? 

Here is what I am referring to?

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-...Actuators/

thanks in advance 
-Marty

barrote
Superturbo

02-22-2018, 10:50 PM #2
Hy marty,
Everithing u wrote made all sense until the 10/12/14 psi.
Why would u add a hx 35 in your engine if u aren't seeking lots of power?
Well the original 6mil elements and stock fueling will not drive the hx35, and in the other hand if u have wider elements and or high fueling, 12psi a is very low fuel targuet. U should aim to something able to reach at least 2 bar / 28psi.
Hope u understand my point, just trying to help.
Wish u luck.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-22-2018, 10:50 PM #2

Hy marty,
Well the original 6mil elements and stock fueling will not drive the hx35, and in the other hand if u have wider elements and or high fueling, 12psi a is very low fuel targuet. U should aim to something able to reach at least 2 bar / 28psi.
Wish u luck.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

martymcfly
Naturally-aspirated

02-23-2018, 03:28 AM #3
(02-22-2018, 10:50 PM)barrote Hy marty,
Wish u luck.

Im running a dieselmeken 7.5mm IP   My understanding is the wastegate is set for 12 psi normally as in factory wastegate. I'm just wondering if I tune it to around 2 bar if a wastegate set for 14 will give me too much back pressure?
martymcfly
02-23-2018, 03:28 AM #3

(02-22-2018, 10:50 PM)barrote Hy marty,
Wish u luck.

Im running a dieselmeken 7.5mm IP   My understanding is the wastegate is set for 12 psi normally as in factory wastegate. I'm just wondering if I tune it to around 2 bar if a wastegate set for 14 will give me too much back pressure?

barrote
Superturbo

02-23-2018, 04:02 AM #4
Hum , like that forguet what i just said...
I guess u need a 2 bar actuator to run a litle more than 2 bar boost. Drive pressure(exaust gas pressure) is always above boost in a diesel setting.
606 with hx 35 depending on wich exaust housing u have will work well no matter what. It may take some time to wake but is a good match.
The factory actuator is about 1 bar 1.2 at most...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-23-2018, 04:02 AM #4

Hum , like that forguet what i just said...
I guess u need a 2 bar actuator to run a litle more than 2 bar boost. Drive pressure(exaust gas pressure) is always above boost in a diesel setting.
606 with hx 35 depending on wich exaust housing u have will work well no matter what. It may take some time to wake but is a good match.
The factory actuator is about 1 bar 1.2 at most...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Turbo
Holset

02-23-2018, 02:23 PM #5
Barrote I would be a little bit careful with saying "Drive pressure (exhaust gas pressure) is always above boost in a diesel setting"

It is true if EGR function going to be sustain but I guess most people here EGR has since long gone and then always is a strong word, when you skip EGR function it is depending like turbine and compressor efficiency and how turbine swallowing is made for matching compressor, exhaust temperature inter act like when temperature rising more and by that more energy is available for driving the turbine. In the opposite way lowering the temperature to the compressor the less energy is needed to drive it. for most modern turbos part of operation range exhaust pressure is less then boost pressure over some of the operating range when you floor it at least. Performance aftermarket turbo is more done to be less laggy rather then making the exhaust pressure as low as possible, maximize turbine efficiency bring more "laggy" turbo since it brings more material at larger diameter and so on for bringing it short

CR engines has higher capability to burn fuel more efficiency then our IDI engines, please take my advice and play with match bot and you will see how exhaust pressure in did can me lower then boost over some range.
Turbo
02-23-2018, 02:23 PM #5

Barrote I would be a little bit careful with saying "Drive pressure (exhaust gas pressure) is always above boost in a diesel setting"

It is true if EGR function going to be sustain but I guess most people here EGR has since long gone and then always is a strong word, when you skip EGR function it is depending like turbine and compressor efficiency and how turbine swallowing is made for matching compressor, exhaust temperature inter act like when temperature rising more and by that more energy is available for driving the turbine. In the opposite way lowering the temperature to the compressor the less energy is needed to drive it. for most modern turbos part of operation range exhaust pressure is less then boost pressure over some of the operating range when you floor it at least. Performance aftermarket turbo is more done to be less laggy rather then making the exhaust pressure as low as possible, maximize turbine efficiency bring more "laggy" turbo since it brings more material at larger diameter and so on for bringing it short

CR engines has higher capability to burn fuel more efficiency then our IDI engines, please take my advice and play with match bot and you will see how exhaust pressure in did can me lower then boost over some range.

baldur
Fast

02-23-2018, 06:17 PM #6
I agree with barrote, it's very rare to have drive pressure lower than boost pressure. That only happens when both compressor and turbine are operating at maximum efficiency and it requires high EGT.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-23-2018, 06:17 PM #6

I agree with barrote, it's very rare to have drive pressure lower than boost pressure. That only happens when both compressor and turbine are operating at maximum efficiency and it requires high EGT.

Baldur Gislason

Turbo
Holset

02-24-2018, 03:47 AM #7
No this is not true -"That only happens when both compressor and turbine are operating at maximum efficiency and it requires high EGT"
but of course the higher the egt the more energy is available that is true.
So Baldur and Barrote you want to have a tour in borg warners match bot? somebody else want one?
Turbo
02-24-2018, 03:47 AM #7

No this is not true -"That only happens when both compressor and turbine are operating at maximum efficiency and it requires high EGT"
but of course the higher the egt the more energy is available that is true.
So Baldur and Barrote you want to have a tour in borg warners match bot? somebody else want one?

baldur
Fast

02-24-2018, 05:23 AM #8
I know about the match bot, and I have created similar models myself in Excel.
I will tell you that in none of the applications where I have actually measured the drive pressure has it been lower than the boost pressure. I've seen them equal when the turbo is doing light work, and it is certainly possible within a very narrow range of operating conditions as I previously specified.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-24-2018, 05:23 AM #8

I know about the match bot, and I have created similar models myself in Excel.
I will tell you that in none of the applications where I have actually measured the drive pressure has it been lower than the boost pressure. I've seen them equal when the turbo is doing light work, and it is certainly possible within a very narrow range of operating conditions as I previously specified.

Baldur Gislason

barrote
Superturbo

02-24-2018, 07:21 AM #9
Tools tools and more electronic tools... to say what???
Observations say 80/90% of times drive pressure is higher than boost.
And by now this thread is highjacked, our friend Marty just wanted to know if the engine would hold well with the hx crap 35w wich i also have one...
Yes it does, more or less lag acording to turbine housing nr. Drive pressure high than boost "MOST" of the times.

FD,