STD Maintenance General Transplanting DT drivetrain into a later 201 model

Transplanting DT drivetrain into a later 201 model

Transplanting DT drivetrain into a later 201 model

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RdSnake
Naturally-aspirated

04-28-2014, 01:26 PM #1
Hello, first time poster.
I have a complete 87 DT but the body is tweaked from an accident. So, my plan is to transplant the entire drivetrain and all into a later 93 201. I currently have a nice 93 8V as a good transplant candidate but I wouldnt mind looking for a 2.6 as well.
Anyway, I want a complete conversion into DT spec including instrumentation.
Anybody have experience doing this type of transplant and would like to share their experience with me?
TIA

87 DT awaiting transplant
RdSnake
04-28-2014, 01:26 PM #1

Hello, first time poster.
I have a complete 87 DT but the body is tweaked from an accident. So, my plan is to transplant the entire drivetrain and all into a later 93 201. I currently have a nice 93 8V as a good transplant candidate but I wouldnt mind looking for a 2.6 as well.
Anybody have experience doing this type of transplant and would like to share their experience with me?
TIA

JB3
Superturbo

04-28-2014, 06:23 PM #2
(04-28-2014, 01:26 PM)RdSnake Hello, first time poster.
TIA

welcome!
look for aaa's thread on moving a 124 diesel drivetrain into a 124 gas wagon. Not exactly the 201 chassis, but could be useful for pointers.

The first thing I would check is registration feasibility just in case. Can you do this in your location and register the car after all the work? Some places it could be a large problem if the recipient car has a gas VIN, others could care less. CA is one of those where it might be a pain, BUT im pretty sure there are avenues to do it from what other CA residents have mentioned
This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM by JB3.

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
04-28-2014, 06:23 PM #2

(04-28-2014, 01:26 PM)RdSnake Hello, first time poster.
TIA

welcome!
look for aaa's thread on moving a 124 diesel drivetrain into a 124 gas wagon. Not exactly the 201 chassis, but could be useful for pointers.

The first thing I would check is registration feasibility just in case. Can you do this in your location and register the car after all the work? Some places it could be a large problem if the recipient car has a gas VIN, others could care less. CA is one of those where it might be a pain, BUT im pretty sure there are avenues to do it from what other CA residents have mentioned

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

Jetmugg
GT2256V

05-13-2014, 10:46 AM #3
I have done almost the exact swap you are describing. I put an '87 TD engine (from a 190D 2.5T), mated to an earlier diesel 5-speed, into a '93 190E 2.6 car.

The '87 was a rustbucket, and the '93 was a completely rust-free car from Georgia, which had been in a mild front-end collision.

I swapped the entire wiring harness from under the dash to the front bumper, from the '87 into the '93. Looking back, this may not have been necessary, but it's the path I took. Swapping the wiring harness was a big job that took a lot of time and patience (not my strong suit, but I got it done). I have all the proper gauges, climate control, power-everything, and warning lights working as intended. The only thing that doesn't work properly is the Cruise Control, but I don't think it's because of any problems I caused.

Chassis-wise, there are some differences between the radiator core support on the 2.6's versus the 2.3's. The 2.6 is more like the 2.5Turbodiesels, insofar as the center section of the core support is removable, and I think it also has an offset which moves the radiator and condenser forward a bit.

The registration issues are definitely a concern, depending on where you live. Not a problem where I live, but it's definitely better to check before you get started.

Steve.
Jetmugg
05-13-2014, 10:46 AM #3

I have done almost the exact swap you are describing. I put an '87 TD engine (from a 190D 2.5T), mated to an earlier diesel 5-speed, into a '93 190E 2.6 car.

The '87 was a rustbucket, and the '93 was a completely rust-free car from Georgia, which had been in a mild front-end collision.

I swapped the entire wiring harness from under the dash to the front bumper, from the '87 into the '93. Looking back, this may not have been necessary, but it's the path I took. Swapping the wiring harness was a big job that took a lot of time and patience (not my strong suit, but I got it done). I have all the proper gauges, climate control, power-everything, and warning lights working as intended. The only thing that doesn't work properly is the Cruise Control, but I don't think it's because of any problems I caused.

Chassis-wise, there are some differences between the radiator core support on the 2.6's versus the 2.3's. The 2.6 is more like the 2.5Turbodiesels, insofar as the center section of the core support is removable, and I think it also has an offset which moves the radiator and condenser forward a bit.

The registration issues are definitely a concern, depending on where you live. Not a problem where I live, but it's definitely better to check before you get started.

Steve.

RdSnake
Naturally-aspirated

05-15-2014, 09:06 AM #4
Thanks guys! Very helpful tips!
Jetmugg:
A. Did you have to transplant the fuel tank and fuel lines?
B. Were you able to transfer over the mounting tabs:
1. for the windshield washer tank on the driver strut tower
2. air cleaner and "MAF" on the passenger inner fender and shroud
3. etc
C. How about the oil cooler support?
TIA!

RdSnake
05-15-2014, 09:06 AM #4

Thanks guys! Very helpful tips!
Jetmugg:
A. Did you have to transplant the fuel tank and fuel lines?
B. Were you able to transfer over the mounting tabs:
1. for the windshield washer tank on the driver strut tower
2. air cleaner and "MAF" on the passenger inner fender and shroud
3. etc
C. How about the oil cooler support?
TIA!

Jetmugg
GT2256V

05-19-2014, 11:59 AM #5
I did transplant the fuel tank, although I don't think it was absolutely necessary. As far as the lines, I just "bypassed" the area occupied by the old electric fuel pump with a section of rubber fuel line and brass connectors.

As far as the mounting tabs - yes, I cut the washer reservoir bracket from the DT and welded it into the '93 chassis.

I swapped the DT passenger's side fender onto the '93 chassis as well, and re-used the metal "separator" panel from the DT.
Off the top of my head, I can't remember how that piece is attached.

It has been several years (and several projects ago), but I think I remember cutting the air filter box supports from the old car and welding onto the new one.

I'll see if I can round up any photos...

Steve.

OK - here are a few pics... Please forgive the use of non-OEM fasteners, and the general dirty underhood conditions.

My memory has also been jogged with respect to the oil cooler mounts - I did have to weld in the tabs which support the oil cooler.

[Image: DSC_47541_zpsae749ad4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_47551_zpsc54db0f1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_47531_zps21f95d09.jpg]

[Image: DSC_47561_zpsecb5935f.jpg]
This post was last modified: 05-19-2014, 12:17 PM by Jetmugg.
Jetmugg
05-19-2014, 11:59 AM #5

I did transplant the fuel tank, although I don't think it was absolutely necessary. As far as the lines, I just "bypassed" the area occupied by the old electric fuel pump with a section of rubber fuel line and brass connectors.

As far as the mounting tabs - yes, I cut the washer reservoir bracket from the DT and welded it into the '93 chassis.

I swapped the DT passenger's side fender onto the '93 chassis as well, and re-used the metal "separator" panel from the DT.
Off the top of my head, I can't remember how that piece is attached.

It has been several years (and several projects ago), but I think I remember cutting the air filter box supports from the old car and welding onto the new one.

I'll see if I can round up any photos...

Steve.

OK - here are a few pics... Please forgive the use of non-OEM fasteners, and the general dirty underhood conditions.

My memory has also been jogged with respect to the oil cooler mounts - I did have to weld in the tabs which support the oil cooler.

[Image: DSC_47541_zpsae749ad4.jpg]

[Image: DSC_47551_zpsc54db0f1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_47531_zps21f95d09.jpg]

[Image: DSC_47561_zpsecb5935f.jpg]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average