STD Other Non MBZ Diesel Updates from Bonneville Salt Flats (new land speed record)

Updates from Bonneville Salt Flats (new land speed record)

Updates from Bonneville Salt Flats (new land speed record)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jetmugg
GT2256V

09-17-2014, 07:50 AM #1
I want to provide updated information related to my recent trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats, for the World of Speed event.

I am extremely happy to report that we set a new H/DT (1.5L Diesel Truck) record. Subsequent to setting the new record, we "bumped" our own record even higher.

The old record was 105.8 mph on the 3 mile Bonneville "short course", and was set by a VW Caddy with a compound turbo VW 1.5L engine.

On our first run with Dieselmeken power, we ran slightly over 130 mph. I will provide a YouTube link as soon as it's available (video is currently being uploaded). We backed up the first run with a second run in the 129.xx mph range, establishing a new record of just over 130 mph. Records are determined by averaging 2 sequential runs.

Later in the same day, we made a few changes to the truck, and proceeded to run over 135 mph, putting us back in the impound/inspection area for another backup run. After successfully completing this backup run, we established a new record of 135.003 mph for the average of the 2 runs.

In short, we felt it was a HUGE success, running almost 25 mph above the existing record. To put this in perspective, we actually ran above the current 2 liter and 3 liter records in the diesel truck classes, as well as the 1.5L diesel streamliner class!

I give a lot of the credit to Goran at Dieselmeken for providing the injection pump to make this allowable. He is arguably the best diesel injection pump builder on the planet!

Steve.
Jetmugg
09-17-2014, 07:50 AM #1

I want to provide updated information related to my recent trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats, for the World of Speed event.

I am extremely happy to report that we set a new H/DT (1.5L Diesel Truck) record. Subsequent to setting the new record, we "bumped" our own record even higher.

The old record was 105.8 mph on the 3 mile Bonneville "short course", and was set by a VW Caddy with a compound turbo VW 1.5L engine.

On our first run with Dieselmeken power, we ran slightly over 130 mph. I will provide a YouTube link as soon as it's available (video is currently being uploaded). We backed up the first run with a second run in the 129.xx mph range, establishing a new record of just over 130 mph. Records are determined by averaging 2 sequential runs.

Later in the same day, we made a few changes to the truck, and proceeded to run over 135 mph, putting us back in the impound/inspection area for another backup run. After successfully completing this backup run, we established a new record of 135.003 mph for the average of the 2 runs.

In short, we felt it was a HUGE success, running almost 25 mph above the existing record. To put this in perspective, we actually ran above the current 2 liter and 3 liter records in the diesel truck classes, as well as the 1.5L diesel streamliner class!

I give a lot of the credit to Goran at Dieselmeken for providing the injection pump to make this allowable. He is arguably the best diesel injection pump builder on the planet!

Steve.

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-17-2014, 10:04 AM #2
Cool story. Congrats!
raysorenson
09-17-2014, 10:04 AM #2

Cool story. Congrats!

Jetmugg
GT2256V

09-18-2014, 02:14 PM #3
Thank you.

For anyone interested, here's a GoPro video of the 135 mph record run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppI9AEdvWA
Jetmugg
09-18-2014, 02:14 PM #3

Thank you.

For anyone interested, here's a GoPro video of the 135 mph record run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppI9AEdvWA

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

09-18-2014, 05:55 PM #4
That's so awesome!! Congrats on the new record!
It sounds like you ought to build a 3L and join the 200mph club!

I was wondering, the other night, whether there were land speed records for driving in reverse. I'd had a few :-)

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project
CRD4x4
09-18-2014, 05:55 PM #4

That's so awesome!! Congrats on the new record!
It sounds like you ought to build a 3L and join the 200mph club!

I was wondering, the other night, whether there were land speed records for driving in reverse. I'd had a few :-)

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project

Grecy
GTA2056V

09-24-2014, 04:52 PM #5
Wow, that's awesome. Congrats.

Will they officially give you the record for the 2L class as well as the 1.5L class?

Out of curiosity, what is your limiting factor?
Do you run out of road, rpm, or just raw pulling power?

-Dan
Grecy
09-24-2014, 04:52 PM #5

Wow, that's awesome. Congrats.

Will they officially give you the record for the 2L class as well as the 1.5L class?

Out of curiosity, what is your limiting factor?
Do you run out of road, rpm, or just raw pulling power?

-Dan

Jetmugg
GT2256V

09-25-2014, 10:06 AM #6
No, they don't award speed records for the larger displacement classes. The engine sizes are "bracketed", so the H class is actually 1.016L - 1.523L. The G class is 1.524L - 2.015L, and so on. You have to be within the engine size bracket to qualify for the record.

There are plenty of records for smaller engine classes which are higher than some of the larger classes. Here's a link to the SCTA engine size chart:

http://www.scta-bni.org/Rulebook/engine.htm

In the end, I just ran out of power. The HP peak of the engine is 4,6xx rpm. I was turning about 5,200 rpm at the end of the course, where the drag forces and output power came to equilibrium. I probably could have gone a bit faster with a taller gear or taller tires, but that's just conjecture for now.

If someone comes along and raises this record, then I'll probably make some changes and attempt to get it back.

Thanks again,
Steve.

Steve.
Jetmugg
09-25-2014, 10:06 AM #6

No, they don't award speed records for the larger displacement classes. The engine sizes are "bracketed", so the H class is actually 1.016L - 1.523L. The G class is 1.524L - 2.015L, and so on. You have to be within the engine size bracket to qualify for the record.

There are plenty of records for smaller engine classes which are higher than some of the larger classes. Here's a link to the SCTA engine size chart:

http://www.scta-bni.org/Rulebook/engine.htm

In the end, I just ran out of power. The HP peak of the engine is 4,6xx rpm. I was turning about 5,200 rpm at the end of the course, where the drag forces and output power came to equilibrium. I probably could have gone a bit faster with a taller gear or taller tires, but that's just conjecture for now.

If someone comes along and raises this record, then I'll probably make some changes and attempt to get it back.

Thanks again,
Steve.

Steve.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average