STD Tuning Engine 617 in a 77240d

617 in a 77240d

617 in a 77240d

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

giezy
K26-2

07-26-2009, 04:00 PM #1
i found a good deal on a 240d with a 4 speed in it can a 617 bolt in place of the 4cyl. with out to much? i now newer 240's had N/A 617's are the mounts any different? the motor has a knock in it from low oil but the car is from texas and fairly rust free,with nice beige interior and air that works
giezy
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM #1

i found a good deal on a 240d with a 4 speed in it can a 617 bolt in place of the 4cyl. with out to much? i now newer 240's had N/A 617's are the mounts any different? the motor has a knock in it from low oil but the car is from texas and fairly rust free,with nice beige interior and air that works

IsaacDW
Turbo-charged

07-26-2009, 08:30 PM #2
The motor will fit, but the swap is more than nuts and bolts. Because the 617 is longer than the four cylinder, the manual transmission will be pushed back about four inches. This will require the driveshaft to be shortened, and the shifter linkages to be adjusted. I have also heard talk about flywheels and transmission crossmembers. I have not done the swap, but this is relayed information from when I was inquiring about doing a very similar swap.
IsaacDW
07-26-2009, 08:30 PM #2

The motor will fit, but the swap is more than nuts and bolts. Because the 617 is longer than the four cylinder, the manual transmission will be pushed back about four inches. This will require the driveshaft to be shortened, and the shifter linkages to be adjusted. I have also heard talk about flywheels and transmission crossmembers. I have not done the swap, but this is relayed information from when I was inquiring about doing a very similar swap.

charmalu
GTA2056V

07-26-2009, 10:26 PM #3
(07-26-2009, 08:30 PM)IsaacDW The motor will fit, but the swap is more than nuts and bolts. Because the 617 is longer than the four cylinder, the manual transmission will be pushed back about four inches. This will require the driveshaft to be shortened, and the shifter linkages to be adjusted. I have also heard talk about flywheels and transmission crossmembers. I have not done the swap, but this is relayed information from when I was inquiring about doing a very similar swap.

You will have less work installing a 617 into a 240D, than installing a 4 spd into a 300D.

you already have the peddles installed, master cylinder and the hose from the Brake reservor.

I just installed a 4-spd into my 85 300D. you will have to get the manual flywheel matched ballanced to the 617 auto flywheel. not zero balanced, but matched exactly.
If your clutch isn`t all that old, just swap it on over. or just replace the pilot bearing, disc, throw out bearing and pressure plate.

Use the 617 engine mount arms, and use the turbo radiator if going turbo along with the oil cooler.

use the 240D automatic transmission cross mount, uses 4 bolts to mount it onto the body, instead of the skinny 240 mount.

Use the 240 front section of the driveline, have it cut and balanced.

the 617 uses 2 engine shocks, one on ea side. may have to weld a mount for one side.

I pulled my engine and trans as one unit since I was replacing the automatic. It was easier with eng on the ground in front of me to install the FW, pilot bearing, throw out, clutch and transmission. then installed the unit back in. get all your mounts connected, then line up the shift rods, and mark to length, cut and thread.
I unscrewed the aluminium end pieces, connected the rods to the transmission, fit end piece on the shifter fingers, held it horizonally and over laped the rod on to of it and marked with a felt marker where to cut and end the threads.
look before unscrewing the end piece, and note where the rod lines up, and mark and cut accordingly.

There is a place in the shift fingers under the shift box to place a rod to keep them lined up. look close and there are 2 plastic pieces with a V on the end. this keeps things lined up. think I used a drill bit.

hook up these before connecting the driveline, will give you a little more room to work.

hope this helps.

something to think about is the differential gear ratio. your 240 is something like 3:46, the 300D turbo`s 82 -84 use the 3:07 and the 85 300D & SD use the 2:88. when upgrading the Diff. be sure to get the speedometer from the donor car. the spedo is geared to the diff, not the trans.

Charlie
This post was last modified: 07-27-2009, 12:38 AM by charmalu.
charmalu
07-26-2009, 10:26 PM #3

(07-26-2009, 08:30 PM)IsaacDW The motor will fit, but the swap is more than nuts and bolts. Because the 617 is longer than the four cylinder, the manual transmission will be pushed back about four inches. This will require the driveshaft to be shortened, and the shifter linkages to be adjusted. I have also heard talk about flywheels and transmission crossmembers. I have not done the swap, but this is relayed information from when I was inquiring about doing a very similar swap.

You will have less work installing a 617 into a 240D, than installing a 4 spd into a 300D.

you already have the peddles installed, master cylinder and the hose from the Brake reservor.

I just installed a 4-spd into my 85 300D. you will have to get the manual flywheel matched ballanced to the 617 auto flywheel. not zero balanced, but matched exactly.
If your clutch isn`t all that old, just swap it on over. or just replace the pilot bearing, disc, throw out bearing and pressure plate.

Use the 617 engine mount arms, and use the turbo radiator if going turbo along with the oil cooler.

use the 240D automatic transmission cross mount, uses 4 bolts to mount it onto the body, instead of the skinny 240 mount.

the 617 uses 2 engine shocks, one on ea side. may have to weld a mount for one side.

I pulled my engine and trans as one unit since I was replacing the automatic. It was easier with eng on the ground in front of me to install the FW, pilot bearing, throw out, clutch and transmission. then installed the unit back in. get all your mounts connected, then line up the shift rods, and mark to length, cut and thread.
I unscrewed the aluminium end pieces, connected the rods to the transmission, fit end piece on the shifter fingers, held it horizonally and over laped the rod on to of it and marked with a felt marker where to cut and end the threads.
look before unscrewing the end piece, and note where the rod lines up, and mark and cut accordingly.

There is a place in the shift fingers under the shift box to place a rod to keep them lined up. look close and there are 2 plastic pieces with a V on the end. this keeps things lined up. think I used a drill bit.

hook up these before connecting the driveline, will give you a little more room to work.

hope this helps.

something to think about is the differential gear ratio. your 240 is something like 3:46, the 300D turbo`s 82 -84 use the 3:07 and the 85 300D & SD use the 2:88. when upgrading the Diff. be sure to get the speedometer from the donor car. the spedo is geared to the diff, not the trans.

Charlie

giezy
K26-2

07-27-2009, 07:53 PM #4
yes thank you stiss is what i am looking for a good base to start with haven't ever swaped any mercedes motors around! at least i now what to look for. i am going to be installing the 617 into the 240d should go nice once i start plaing with it!

(07-26-2009, 10:26 PM)charmalu

hope this helps.

Charlie
giezy
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM #4

yes thank you stiss is what i am looking for a good base to start with haven't ever swaped any mercedes motors around! at least i now what to look for. i am going to be installing the 617 into the 240d should go nice once i start plaing with it!

(07-26-2009, 10:26 PM)charmalu

hope this helps.

Charlie

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average