STD Tuning Engine OM617 rebuilt help

OM617 rebuilt help

OM617 rebuilt help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gaiex
K26-2

04-23-2014, 07:52 AM #1
Hi guys,

I've searched but still confused, I need a new head for my NA OM617 W115 and I can't find alot of this used engines, but the turbo engine is easy to find.
So my idea was to get some turbo engine and add some turbo parts to my NA engine, like engine head, IP, and others that could fit.

I found till now that the difference between an NA OM617 block and a turbo block are only the oil squirters?

Can I make an mix lol of the two engines keeping the original block, but get some power increase?

Ideally would be to maintain the original engine block, because of the engine number is associated to my chassis, and adds value to the classic car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 07:53 AM by gaiex.
gaiex
04-23-2014, 07:52 AM #1

Hi guys,

I've searched but still confused, I need a new head for my NA OM617 W115 and I can't find alot of this used engines, but the turbo engine is easy to find.
So my idea was to get some turbo engine and add some turbo parts to my NA engine, like engine head, IP, and others that could fit.

I found till now that the difference between an NA OM617 block and a turbo block are only the oil squirters?

Can I make an mix lol of the two engines keeping the original block, but get some power increase?

Ideally would be to maintain the original engine block, because of the engine number is associated to my chassis, and adds value to the classic car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

yankneck696
Build it so strong & blow it up good !!!

04-23-2014, 08:12 AM #2
Yes, you can. there are threads about adding the oil squirters & rumors that some NA engines have them already.

Ed
yankneck696
04-23-2014, 08:12 AM #2

Yes, you can. there are threads about adding the oil squirters & rumors that some NA engines have them already.

Ed

gaiex
K26-2

04-23-2014, 03:28 PM #3
(04-23-2014, 08:12 AM)yankneck696 Yes, you can. there are threads about adding the oil squirters & rumors that some NA engines have them already.

Ed

I found some threads about drilling oil squirters holes, but none about adding oil squirters!
Do you have some pictures or link of oil squirters install in the OM617 NA?

Thanks for the reply
gaiex
04-23-2014, 03:28 PM #3

(04-23-2014, 08:12 AM)yankneck696 Yes, you can. there are threads about adding the oil squirters & rumors that some NA engines have them already.

Ed

I found some threads about drilling oil squirters holes, but none about adding oil squirters!
Do you have some pictures or link of oil squirters install in the OM617 NA?

Thanks for the reply

cho
GT2559V

04-24-2014, 11:30 AM #4
this one is cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-OM...fa&vxp=mtr[/align]

500SEC euro gen II powered by OM617a stolen from 84 300SD .... with 280se transmission now Smile
----------------------------------------------------------
cho
04-24-2014, 11:30 AM #4

this one is cheap

500SEC euro gen II powered by OM617a stolen from 84 300SD .... with 280se transmission now Smile
----------------------------------------------------------

gaiex
K26-2

04-24-2014, 12:10 PM #5
(04-24-2014, 11:30 AM)cho this one is cheap

Thank you for the link but it's on USA and costtums are very expensive here in Portugal!
I have to find something in Europe, but I'm almost inclined to buy a complete 300TD engine to install!

PS: I have an OM606 next to the W115 Cool that I was planning to install on it, but at the moment I really don't know, I think I will sell it and maybe buy an OM605 for easy install.
For now I need to put the OM617 running for the MOT and to finish the restauration.

gaiex
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM #5

(04-24-2014, 11:30 AM)cho this one is cheap

Thank you for the link but it's on USA and costtums are very expensive here in Portugal!
I have to find something in Europe, but I'm almost inclined to buy a complete 300TD engine to install!

PS: I have an OM606 next to the W115 Cool that I was planning to install on it, but at the moment I really don't know, I think I will sell it and maybe buy an OM605 for easy install.
For now I need to put the OM617 running for the MOT and to finish the restauration.

mbz123
GT2256V

04-25-2014, 01:09 AM #6
If the turbo version is easier for you to find, why not just swap in an entire good running turbo motor and repair the original NA engine when you eventually find a cyl head for it?

Or could you just replace the original head with one from a turbo? Anyone know if the cyl heads are the same spec between NA and turbo? If not, it may be possible to machine a turbo head to use on your block?

Attacking the work involved on the bottom end is a big undertaking. After all that work is complete, wouldn't your modifications disqualify it from being "original?" Yes, numbers would match, but the engine block is no longer in original configuration. Just something to think about in terms of its value.

If I were in your situation, I would look into using a turbo cylinder head on the original motor. Most likely that is the least expensive and quickest option.

MBZ123
mbz123
04-25-2014, 01:09 AM #6

If the turbo version is easier for you to find, why not just swap in an entire good running turbo motor and repair the original NA engine when you eventually find a cyl head for it?

Or could you just replace the original head with one from a turbo? Anyone know if the cyl heads are the same spec between NA and turbo? If not, it may be possible to machine a turbo head to use on your block?

Attacking the work involved on the bottom end is a big undertaking. After all that work is complete, wouldn't your modifications disqualify it from being "original?" Yes, numbers would match, but the engine block is no longer in original configuration. Just something to think about in terms of its value.

If I were in your situation, I would look into using a turbo cylinder head on the original motor. Most likely that is the least expensive and quickest option.

MBZ123

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average