STD Maintenance General Engine diagnosis

Engine diagnosis

Engine diagnosis

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

martureo
GTA2056V

04-22-2014, 02:02 PM #1
I posted this over on PP, but haven't got many hits.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...-pipe.html

Summary:
  • Engine has 260k+, unknown history. Bought as non-runner, non driver.
  • Smokes a bit while running, blue smoke after revving
  • leaking oil out of exhaust pipe after revving
  • removed turbo and manifolds, fresh oil in all ports, fresh oil and sludge in turbo compressor side and exhaust
  • oil from exhaust ports when revved
  • plenty of crankcase pressure

The main question is, what do I do now? Is this engine salvageable?

I'm in the position that I need to move this car, and I was planning on using it as a DD. What other things can I do to diagnose the oil issue?

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)
martureo
04-22-2014, 02:02 PM #1

I posted this over on PP, but haven't got many hits.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...-pipe.html

Summary:

• Engine has 260k+, unknown history. Bought as non-runner, non driver.
  • Smokes a bit while running, blue smoke after revving
  • leaking oil out of exhaust pipe after revving
  • removed turbo and manifolds, fresh oil in all ports, fresh oil and sludge in turbo compressor side and exhaust
  • oil from exhaust ports when revved
  • plenty of crankcase pressure

The main question is, what do I do now? Is this engine salvageable?

I'm in the position that I need to move this car, and I was planning on using it as a DD. What other things can I do to diagnose the oil issue?

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)

Mark_M
GT2559V

04-22-2014, 06:15 PM #2
Do a compression test and see what comes out of that.

Crankcase pressure would suggest the rings/bore isn't in the best of condition and a compression test will confirm ore rule out this.

A lot of oil in the compressor and inlet would suggest the turbo seals are shot and possibly even the bearing. Check for end play on the turbo shaft but it sounds like it could use a rebuild. It could also be the oil drain from the bottom of the turbo is blocked so the oil has to come out the seals due to overpressure.
Mark_M
04-22-2014, 06:15 PM #2

Do a compression test and see what comes out of that.

Crankcase pressure would suggest the rings/bore isn't in the best of condition and a compression test will confirm ore rule out this.

A lot of oil in the compressor and inlet would suggest the turbo seals are shot and possibly even the bearing. Check for end play on the turbo shaft but it sounds like it could use a rebuild. It could also be the oil drain from the bottom of the turbo is blocked so the oil has to come out the seals due to overpressure.

martureo
GTA2056V

04-24-2014, 05:42 PM #3
I'm thinking valve stem seals.

Cold/dry compression test:
360_360_380_260_360

The intake valve on the fourth cylinder was way out of adjustment, but I was tired and didn't redo the compression test after redoing the lash.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)
martureo
04-24-2014, 05:42 PM #3

I'm thinking valve stem seals.

Cold/dry compression test:
360_360_380_260_360

The intake valve on the fourth cylinder was way out of adjustment, but I was tired and didn't redo the compression test after redoing the lash.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)

Mark_M
GT2559V

04-24-2014, 06:55 PM #4
Valve stem seals won't use that much oil in a diesel. There isn't really any vacuum to pull the oil through unlike a gas engine that has a throttle. In fact in a TD there will be no vac and mostly always pressure so oil wouldn't get pulled through.

Going by your compression readings it really only leaves a knackered turbo/shaft seals or blocked oil drain.
Mark_M
04-24-2014, 06:55 PM #4

Valve stem seals won't use that much oil in a diesel. There isn't really any vacuum to pull the oil through unlike a gas engine that has a throttle. In fact in a TD there will be no vac and mostly always pressure so oil wouldn't get pulled through.

Going by your compression readings it really only leaves a knackered turbo/shaft seals or blocked oil drain.

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-24-2014, 08:10 PM #5
Ben,

Those readings aren't too shabby except for #4. Is there any chance you have oil somehow leaking down from the VC, thru the manifold gasket and that is being blown out the tail pipe eventually? Sounds flaky, by my first MB had oil running down the side from the the headgasket towards the rear on the passenger side. OR, I suspect its your turbo.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
04-24-2014, 08:10 PM #5

Ben,

Those readings aren't too shabby except for #4. Is there any chance you have oil somehow leaking down from the VC, thru the manifold gasket and that is being blown out the tail pipe eventually? Sounds flaky, by my first MB had oil running down the side from the the headgasket towards the rear on the passenger side. OR, I suspect its your turbo.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

martureo
GTA2056V

04-24-2014, 10:59 PM #6
(04-24-2014, 08:10 PM)Greazzer Ben,

I knew the turbo was leaking oil like crazy, but with oil in every port in the head I was thinking it was only one problem.

Good compression, reexamining the cardboard I had sitting on the manifold studs and seeing it was more soot and water than oil spray, and actually finding oil on each valve stem leads me to believe the turbo was the main problem.

I've got a spare turbo now and I'll be doing the valve stem seals tomorrow. I'll get around to the turbo drain seals and check valve this weekend.

Hopefully this is the last issue before I can drive this sucker.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)
martureo
04-24-2014, 10:59 PM #6

(04-24-2014, 08:10 PM)Greazzer Ben,

I knew the turbo was leaking oil like crazy, but with oil in every port in the head I was thinking it was only one problem.

Good compression, reexamining the cardboard I had sitting on the manifold studs and seeing it was more soot and water than oil spray, and actually finding oil on each valve stem leads me to believe the turbo was the main problem.

I've got a spare turbo now and I'll be doing the valve stem seals tomorrow. I'll get around to the turbo drain seals and check valve this weekend.

Hopefully this is the last issue before I can drive this sucker.

1983 300TD
1984 300D
1995 E300 (sold)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average