STD Tuning Engine MW pump oiling question

MW pump oiling question

MW pump oiling question

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[486]
TA 0301

04-19-2014, 12:27 AM #1
I'm converting a TDI over to a mechanical injection pump and ended up with a bosch MW, as it is a lot easier for me to wrap my head around than the distributor style pumps.

Enough backstory, I don't really have any idea how to search for this with google, so I figure I can just ask.

Anyone know if you can take an MW pump, seal the drive end, plug the oil port and fill it with its own separate charge of oil? Sort of like an M-pump. I tried blowing in the oil port and it seems to be restricted somehow, I was just wondering if one of the bearings is pressure lubricated or if the passage just squirts oil in there to be thrown around.

The TDI uses a timing belt, and while oil supply is no big deal oil return would be a little trickier.
This post was last modified: 04-19-2014, 12:27 AM by [486].
[486]
04-19-2014, 12:27 AM #1

I'm converting a TDI over to a mechanical injection pump and ended up with a bosch MW, as it is a lot easier for me to wrap my head around than the distributor style pumps.

Enough backstory, I don't really have any idea how to search for this with google, so I figure I can just ask.

Anyone know if you can take an MW pump, seal the drive end, plug the oil port and fill it with its own separate charge of oil? Sort of like an M-pump. I tried blowing in the oil port and it seems to be restricted somehow, I was just wondering if one of the bearings is pressure lubricated or if the passage just squirts oil in there to be thrown around.

The TDI uses a timing belt, and while oil supply is no big deal oil return would be a little trickier.

dieselmeken
Holset

04-19-2014, 04:01 AM #2
(04-19-2014, 12:27 AM)[486] I'm converting a TDI over to a mechanical injection pump and ended up with a bosch MW, as it is a lot easier for me to wrap my head around than the distributor style pumps.

That works OK, No problem, the reason that you cant blow into the pump thru the oilsupply is that the lifter on last cylinder is blocking it, when liter is in bottom there is a free passage.
But, why dont you go for a 1,9 TD pump, AAZ code for example and boost it up with some nice 10 or 12mm head?
dieselmeken
04-19-2014, 04:01 AM #2

(04-19-2014, 12:27 AM)[486] I'm converting a TDI over to a mechanical injection pump and ended up with a bosch MW, as it is a lot easier for me to wrap my head around than the distributor style pumps.

That works OK, No problem, the reason that you cant blow into the pump thru the oilsupply is that the lifter on last cylinder is blocking it, when liter is in bottom there is a free passage.
But, why dont you go for a 1,9 TD pump, AAZ code for example and boost it up with some nice 10 or 12mm head?

[486]
TA 0301

04-19-2014, 11:33 AM #3
(04-19-2014, 04:01 AM)dieselmeken That works OK, No problem, the reason that you cant blow into the pump thru the oilsupply is that the lifter on last cylinder is blocking it, when liter is in bottom there is a free passage.
Oh, so that's how the flow is metered. Thanks for the information.

I had this one laying around, I have a garage full of machine tools at my disposal, and I don't like the idea of distributor pumps (much less fuel-lubricated pumps).
It's all just a hobby to me.
This post was last modified: 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM by [486].
[486]
04-19-2014, 11:33 AM #3

(04-19-2014, 04:01 AM)dieselmeken That works OK, No problem, the reason that you cant blow into the pump thru the oilsupply is that the lifter on last cylinder is blocking it, when liter is in bottom there is a free passage.
Oh, so that's how the flow is metered. Thanks for the information.

I had this one laying around, I have a garage full of machine tools at my disposal, and I don't like the idea of distributor pumps (much less fuel-lubricated pumps).
It's all just a hobby to me.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average