STD Tuning Engine OM603 IP timing

OM603 IP timing

OM603 IP timing

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jambo
GTA2056V

04-08-2014, 06:12 AM #1
Hi Guys,
I have read that the timing on the OM603 NA should be 14 or 15 degrees ATC. How much difference does that make and how much adjustment do I have in the slots?
My motor is running hotter than usual and also has difficulty starting all after my Bosch franchise recalibrated the pump and refitted it. Going back is not an option as tyhey stuffed up quite a bit.
I have been told I should turn the pump away from the engine to probably get better starting and cooler running.
This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 07:35 AM by Jambo.
Jambo
04-08-2014, 06:12 AM #1

Hi Guys,
I have read that the timing on the OM603 NA should be 14 or 15 degrees ATC. How much difference does that make and how much adjustment do I have in the slots?
My motor is running hotter than usual and also has difficulty starting all after my Bosch franchise recalibrated the pump and refitted it. Going back is not an option as tyhey stuffed up quite a bit.
I have been told I should turn the pump away from the engine to probably get better starting and cooler running.

Jambo
GTA2056V

04-09-2014, 12:17 PM #2
Ok since there were no replies I decided to just go for it and see where I end up.
Removed the fan and loosened the pump. Started the engine and then started turning the pump every now and then checking at what degrees I was. I was at 16deg. ATDC all the way down to 14 deg. ATDC. There was no noticeable difference and I decided to pick up the revs slightly and then adjust the timing again listening to the motor as well as looking at the exhaust smoke. When I eventually found a happy medium where the smoke was least and the motor running best I tightened the pump and checked at what deg. it was.
14 deg. ATDC. Because I know the Bosch franchise fiddled with the ADA after the pump was recalibrated and set up, I thought I cannot do any worse. I turned the adjusting screw in as far as I could and took the G for a spin. It was very lazy, but the temps were slightly better. After returning I left the motor idling and started adjusting the ADA screw outwards half a turn at a time and checking the response to the throttle an looking at the exhaust for smoke. After quite a few turns out the motor response was good enough without smoke for me to test drive again. Power was much better than it was before I even started fiddling. I returned home and checked starting, she jumped to life basically immediately.
I left the G overnight an tested again this afternoon this time with the fan shroud fitted again. She started beautifully but soon after starting, probably after glow plugs switched off, started smoking white smoke. I took her for a spin after fitting a mechanical temp gauge instead of the aircon. temp switch. Within 2 km temp was up to 80deg C. The drive was good with no smoke visible even when in the lights of other vehicles. The temperatures were interesting:
G gauge showed about 95deg C. mech. gauge showed just before 100deg C and on return I double checked with a laser temp gun on various places. The temps on the gauges were proved accurate. What I then measured gave me some cause for concern. I tested the temp at every welsh plug just above the exhaust manifold. The three rear ones gave a reading of 88deg C while the front three were more than 10 deg. C cooler. I have also found a oil leak at the rear RHS of the motor.

Any ideas?
How serious is it?
I have ordered a head gasket set just in case.
Jambo
04-09-2014, 12:17 PM #2

Ok since there were no replies I decided to just go for it and see where I end up.
Removed the fan and loosened the pump. Started the engine and then started turning the pump every now and then checking at what degrees I was. I was at 16deg. ATDC all the way down to 14 deg. ATDC. There was no noticeable difference and I decided to pick up the revs slightly and then adjust the timing again listening to the motor as well as looking at the exhaust smoke. When I eventually found a happy medium where the smoke was least and the motor running best I tightened the pump and checked at what deg. it was.
14 deg. ATDC. Because I know the Bosch franchise fiddled with the ADA after the pump was recalibrated and set up, I thought I cannot do any worse. I turned the adjusting screw in as far as I could and took the G for a spin. It was very lazy, but the temps were slightly better. After returning I left the motor idling and started adjusting the ADA screw outwards half a turn at a time and checking the response to the throttle an looking at the exhaust for smoke. After quite a few turns out the motor response was good enough without smoke for me to test drive again. Power was much better than it was before I even started fiddling. I returned home and checked starting, she jumped to life basically immediately.
I left the G overnight an tested again this afternoon this time with the fan shroud fitted again. She started beautifully but soon after starting, probably after glow plugs switched off, started smoking white smoke. I took her for a spin after fitting a mechanical temp gauge instead of the aircon. temp switch. Within 2 km temp was up to 80deg C. The drive was good with no smoke visible even when in the lights of other vehicles. The temperatures were interesting:
G gauge showed about 95deg C. mech. gauge showed just before 100deg C and on return I double checked with a laser temp gun on various places. The temps on the gauges were proved accurate. What I then measured gave me some cause for concern. I tested the temp at every welsh plug just above the exhaust manifold. The three rear ones gave a reading of 88deg C while the front three were more than 10 deg. C cooler. I have also found a oil leak at the rear RHS of the motor.

Any ideas?
How serious is it?
I have ordered a head gasket set just in case.

Jambo
GTA2056V

04-10-2014, 04:10 AM #3
Found this today and will change the lift pump with anothe rthat I have.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...3-problems
Jambo
04-10-2014, 04:10 AM #3

Found this today and will change the lift pump with anothe rthat I have.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thre...3-problems

barrote
Superturbo

04-13-2014, 03:15 PM #4
hy there za,
i had that white smoke in my vehicle as well , and i found out was nothing else but wear. Sad engine wear at less than 300k km.
maybe u want to check your engine wear, like compression test , since u have the pump checked, cause engine timing at IP is like finding diamonds in wreck s of cristal, is just unmisseble. i mean when the engine is at the right timing u´ll notice it.
friend of mine wich owns a diesel repair shop told me that the only feasible and acurate way of cheking injection timing is with the light gun. sometimes the pump slides a bit and then u got like 21º btdc.
regards

FD,